1. Joined
    23 Apr '12
    Moves
    24 May '12 22:33
    Hi, I tried to find the answer in the FAQ's but, was not able so... I hope I am not wasting anyone's time. My question is (I have two of them):

1) Last night I booked myself on vacation but, when I checked my games... my clock icons are still flashing red. Upon looking this up it says that that means I must make a move imediately or risk losing the game on timeout. However, there is a picture of a plane at the top of my account & next to it it says "You are currently booked on vacation and exempt from timeout." Question is... is this true? Am I safe from timeout or do I need to make a move in those games?

& my next question is...

2) Can I make moves while I am on vacation or... would that cancel my vacation status?

Thank you for the help,
    Michael
  2. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    24 May '12 22:491 edit
    1. Yes, you are safe from timeout as long as your vacation symbol is visible, but the clock still runs down. You must make a move before the vacation symbol disappears (which will be at a UK midnight time).

2. You can make moves while officially on vacation, and most people do. They use the vacation protection just in case they are unable to get internet access during the period designated. Moving doesn't cancel or restart or affect your vacation status in any way.
  3. Joined
    23 Apr '12
    Moves
    25 May '12 01:24
    Thank you for the help.
  4. SubscriberCaptKirck
    Patzer
    New Jersey
    Moves
    30 May '12 16:46
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    1. Yes, you are safe from timeout as long as your vacation symbol is visible, but the clock still runs down. You must make a move before the vacation symbol disappears (which will be at a UK midnight time).

2. You can make moves while officially on vacation, and most people do. They use the vacation protection just in case they are unable to get intern ...[text shortened]... period designated. Moving doesn't cancel or restart or affect your vacation status in any way.
    I think this policy should be changed. If I'm exempt from timeout while on vacation, my timebank should not deplete UNLESS I make a move whilest on vacation. I didn't make any moves while on vacation and lost most of my timebank in all of my games. Doesn't seem fair to me.
  5. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    30 May '12 22:42
    Changes to the vacation system come up often in the Site Ideas forum, but the suggestions are usually rejected by other users.
  6. Standard memberRevRSleeker
    CerebrallyChallenged
    Lyme BayChesil Beach
    Moves
    31 May '12 08:501 edit
    Originally posted by CaptKirck
    I think this policy should be changed. If I'm exempt from timeout while on vacation, my timebank should not deplete UNLESS I make a move whilest on vacation. I didn't make any moves while on vacation and lost most of my timebank in all of my games. Doesn't seem fair to me.
    Yes, I must say that it's timebank more than the flag that I'd like to 'manage' really...how that would work is another matter however. Flag time on this site is actually quite miserly with other sites actively promoting 'buying flag time'...the more you pay the more flag you get, up to 90days !! Despite talk of folk wanting to adopt chess.com's vacation 'rules,' re:'move whilst on vacation and your flag falls,' they actually have a far more novel scheme of protecting the subscriber far far more than is ever required...try this 'abuse' of flag time that was offered to me recently..but hey, folk actually want to adopt this:
    ''You may have as little as 30 minutes remaining in one or more of your Online Chess games and because you are a Premium Member your account has been automatically set to "Vacation". Please login soon and continue your games!''

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree