1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    05 Aug '14 00:27
    "The Debt Ceiling" (October 27, 2013)

"US-debt-ceiling: This one truly made my day! I love it when a complicated
    situation can be explained in such simple terms!

THE DEBT CEILING

* Democrats don’t understand THE DEBT CEILING

* Republicans don’t understand THE DEBT CEILING

* Liberals don’t understand THE DEBT CEILING

* NO ONE understands THE DEBT CEILING

SO – Allow me to explain…

Let’s say you come home from work and find there has been a sewer backup in your neighborhood.
    Your home has sewage all the way up to your ceilings.

What do you think you should do? Raise the ceilings or pump out the crap?

Your choice is coming in November. Don’t miss the opportunity."

http://hangingtogetherforjustice.org/debt-ceiling/

Other alternatives?
  2. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    05 Aug '14 03:40
    Unclog the sewer line...
  3. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    05 Aug '14 03:59
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Unclog the sewer line...
    I thought you were against doing away with welfare and deporting illegals.
  4. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    05 Aug '14 04:32
    Originally posted by Eladar
    I thought you were against doing away with welfare and deporting illegals.
    ...and all the politicians will get washed away.
  5. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    05 Aug '14 05:291 edit
    "Let’s say you come home from work and find there has been a sewer backup in your neighborhood.
    Your home has sewage all the way up to your ceilings.

What do you think you should do? Raise the ceilings or pump out the crap?" (from the OP)

How about a tertium quid solution: while pumping "out the crap" why not identify and eradicate its cause?
  6. Germany
    Moves
    05 Aug '14 05:41
    Here's a better analogy. Suppose you borrow some money. Should you pay it all back?
  7. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    05 Aug '14 05:481 edit
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Here's a better analogy. Suppose you borrow some money. Should you pay it all back?
    Yes, "pay it all back" in a timely manner with a vehicle which represents an equal store of value and doesn't clog the sewer.

"Inflation Calculator: $1.00 In 1964 to 2014: Value: $7.54

Annual Inflation: 4.12% Total Inflation: 654.20%"

"Inflation Calculator: $1.00 In 1914 to 2014: Value: $23.30

Annual Inflation: 3.20% Total Inflation: 2230.49%"

http://www.dollartimes.com/inflation/inflation.php?amount=1&year=1920
  8. Cape Town
    Moves
    05 Aug '14 06:41
    Lets make the analogy realistic.
    Suppose the sewage is up to a line on the wall that has been drawn by the wife. The marriage contract states that if the sewage goes over the line, the couple must get a divorce.
    Husband: "lets just move the line a little higher."
    Wife: "not a chance, I'd rather have a divorce".
    Husband: "The reason why we have all this sewage is because you insist on using the toilet but won't pay the council for sewage collection or for the plumber to fix things."
    Wife: "If I give you any money, you just go and get drunk, so no more money for you!"
    Wife: "I believe in the freedom to use the toilet whenever I want! And nobody should force me to pay for sewage collection! Freedom!"
    Husband: "But the sewage is creeping higher up the walls!"
    Wife: "Freedom!".
  9. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    05 Aug '14 07:17
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Lets make the analogy realistic.
    Suppose the sewage is up to a line on the wall that has been drawn by the wife. The marriage contract states that if the sewage goes over the line, the couple must get a divorce.
    Husband: "lets just move the line a little higher."
    Wife: "not a chance, I'd rather have a divorce".
    Husband: "The reason why we have all t ...[text shortened]... ection! Freedom!"
    Husband: "But the sewage is creeping higher up the walls!"
    Wife: "Freedom!".
    "Lets make the analogy realistic.
    Suppose the sewage is up to a line on the wall that has been drawn by the wife..."

And let's also posit the question: what was the rationale for "the wife" alone making the decision on the position of the line? Having done so it's little wonder their marriage has become dysfunctional. Also what does choosing a drunk for a husband say about her judgment; or is the question about the husband's judgment in choosing a wife who would drive him to drink?
  10. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    05 Aug '14 08:09

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

11. Cape Town
    Moves
    05 Aug '14 08:26
    And while husband and wife fight it out, the children are all swimming in sewage.
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    05 Aug '14 08:31
    The husband is a bit more popular with the children because at least he pays their school fees, and buys them food. The wife is popular with the Church going children because she wants to institute a family religion. She is also popular with some because she wants to get rid of the foster children.
  13. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    05 Aug '14 08:32
    And while husband and wife fight it out, the children are all swimming in sewage.
    This is the way you view the guvamint/citizen relationship? The politicians are our parents🙄

That's why your attempt to make the analogy more realistic had the opposite effect.
  14. Cape Town
    Moves
    05 Aug '14 08:33
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    And let's also posit the question: what was the rationale for "the wife" alone making the decision on the position of the line?
    Yes, that's a bit of the problem, because only the Husband is allowed to actually spend money on the sewage fees and plumber.
    The important thing to note however, is neither husband nor wife, actually wants to pay the sewage fees or the plumber. The husband has other uses for the money, whilst the wife, has no real plan at all as her main aim is to get a divorce.
  15. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    05 Aug '14 10:371 edit
    There are basically two choices. The Government needs a sum $x to function. It can:

Issue bonds, which are purchased by those wealthy enough to have savings, and pay interest to those wealthy people, providing an additional income over and above work.

Raise taxes from people wealthy enough to have more than they need so that they have surplus savings looking for someone to pay risk free interest. (If they were wealth creating entrepreneurs, they would not be buying government bonds).

The Bush notion that you can lower taxes while repaying debt is already shown to be nonsensical. What you lot advocate is letting the wealthy pay less tax and then paying interest to the wealthy on their unproductive and inactive savings. Who gets screwed in that? Everyone outside the top 10% is the answer, but primarily the dying middle class.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree