1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    24 Aug '15 17:182 edits
    What are Your Personal Standards of Civility in Online Public Forums?

"Definition of civility in English: noun (plural civilities). 1. Formal politeness and courtesy in behavior or speech: I hope we can treat each other with civility and respect." Origin: "Late Middle English: from Old French civilite, from Latin civilitas, from civilis 'relating to citizens' (see civil). In early use the term denoted the state of being a citizen and hence good citizenship or orderly behavior. The sense 'politeness' arose in the mid 16th century."
    http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/civility

My "Personal Standards of Civility" are that we all behave toward other men and women with precisely the same courtesy with which we ourselves would expect our own husband or wife, son or daughter to be accorded on Red Hot Pawn's Public Forums. Early estimate of Thumbs Down 7+.....
  2. SubscriberThe Gravedigger
    Jack Torrance
    Overlook Hotel
    Moves
    24 Aug '15 19:07
    Do unto others before they do unto you.
  3. SubscriberThe Gravedigger
    Jack Torrance
    Overlook Hotel
    Moves
    24 Aug '15 19:08
    Badge ,your opinion please.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Aug '15 19:211 edit
    NO INSTANT COFFEE, plueeeeeze.
  5. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    24 Aug '15 19:551 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

6. Joined
    09 Feb '10
    Moves
    25 Aug '15 03:53
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]What are Your Personal Standards of Civility in Online Public Forums?

"Definition of civility in English: noun (plural civilities). 1. Formal politeness and courtesy in behavior or speech: I hope we can treat each other with civility and respect." Origin: "Late Middle English: from Old French civilite, from Latin civilitas, from civilis 'relat ...[text shortened]... r daughter to be accorded on Red Hot Pawn's Public Forums. Early estimate of Thumbs Down 7+.....[/b]
    You are +9. That's awesome. Who knew?!
    There may be hope in these forums after all ๐Ÿ™‚
  7. Joined
    09 Feb '10
    Moves
    25 Aug '15 03:56
    "No one is more insufferable than he who lacks basic courtesy."
    ~ Bryant H. McGill
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Aug '15 04:11
    Originally posted by Landisqueen170
    "No one is more insufferable than he who lacks basic courtesy."
    ~ Bryant H. McGill
    "If you love someone.......when is enough, enough?" Never.

The Mexican.
  9. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    25 Aug '15 04:12
    In my mind there is no need for civility. Open honesty is my standard. If I think someone was a waste of semen I say just that. If I think they crap gold I'll state it.
  10. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    25 Aug '15 05:181 edit
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    In my mind there is no need for civility. Open honesty is my standard. If I think someone was a waste of semen I say just that. If I think they crap gold I'll state it.
    I agree with you 95%.

But sometimes when honesty is dangerous then one must be civil.

(Think "in-laws" ๐Ÿ˜€ )
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 Aug '15 05:52
    [b]What are Your Personal Standards of Civility in Online Public Forums?[/b]
    Surely these personal standards are demonstrated by how people post on the public forums?
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 Aug '15 06:181 edit
    My "Personal Standards of Civility" are that we all behave toward other men and women with precisely the same courtesy with which we ourselves would expect our own husband or wife, son or daughter to be accorded on Red Hot Pawn's Public Forums.
    In your real life, what are the "precisely the same" equivalents to all those countless pompous threads you start on the Spirituality Forum seemingly with the sole purpose of taking passive aggressive swipes at people you disagree with, who have different beliefs from you, and whose questions you dodge and deflect from? ๐Ÿ˜€
  13. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    25 Aug '15 07:21
    [b]What are Your Personal Standards of Civility in Online Public Forums?

"Definition of civility in English: noun (plural civilities). 1. Formal politeness and courtesy in behavior or speech: I hope we can treat each other with civility and respect." Origin: "Late Middle English: from Old French civilite, from Latin civilitas, from civilis 'relat ...[text shortened]... r daughter to be accorded on Red Hot Pawn's Public Forums. Early estimate of Thumbs Down 7+.....[/b]
    In these forums i am not opposed to giving somebody a firm 'nudge' to test their metal and have them defend their position. Civility, to me, should not mean allowing someones unsatisfactory or unfounded comments to go unchallenged, just for the sake of politeness.

That said, i am looking to nudge someone, not 'shove' them under a bus. I have no desire to crush anybody or damage them in anyway. If, when i test someones metal, i discover they are made of tin, i back off or divert with humour. (Often about aubergines).
  14. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    25 Aug '15 09:19
    Thanks to each of you for your honest replies....“You don't have to prove confidence; when you have it, it'll show. Real confidence is quiet, tactful, civil, and humble.” โ€•Rosalinda Oropeza Randall (Don't Burp in the Boardroom: Your Guide to Handling Uncommonly Common Workplace Dilemmas)
  15. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    25 Aug '15 10:11
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    In these forums i am not opposed to giving somebody a firm 'nudge' to test their metal and have them defend their position. Civility, to me, should not mean allowing someones unsatisfactory or unfounded comments to go unchallenged, just for the sake of politeness.

That said, i am looking to nudge someone, not 'shove' them under a bus. I have no desir ...[text shortened]... metal, i discover they are made of tin, i back off or divert with humour. (Often about aubergines).
    GD, long ago I read an article which stated that the proper role of a Broadway Critic in New York City was to make theatre goers aware of low profile gems they may have otherwise missed; rather than to specialize in negatively criticizing inferior plays which is unnecessary as they will soon be cancelled due to lack of attendance. The implied if not stated premise of the article was that critics enjoy putting other people down and in doing so do a disservice to their readers. In these public forums, yes some unsupported positions [which are not hackneyed repetitions] are worth challenging.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree