1. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    28 Jun '15 12:201 edit
    I once heard that if you throw a boomerang, you should remember that you are the target!

So here's the question: Do boomerangs come in left and right handed models?
    In other words, can a left-handed person throw a regular boomerang and make it work correctly,
    or would it have to be made differently to suit a left handed thrower?
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Jun '15 13:08
    Originally posted by mwmiller
    I once heard that if you throw a boomerang, you should remember that you are the target!

So here's the question: [b]Do boomerangs come in left and right handed models?

In other words, can a left-handed person throw a regular boomerang and make it work correctly,
    or would it have to be made differently to suit a left handed thrower?[/b]
    are the laws of aerodynamics not the same for a right handed person as for a left handed person?
  3. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    28 Jun '15 13:381 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    are the laws of aerodynamics not the same for a right handed person as for a left handed person?
    I would say the law or aerodynamics are constant, but the physical act of throwing with the left and right hand are opposite when causing the thrown object to spin, which would require the boomerang to be constructed differently to suit the particular hand used to throw it. This assumes that the left and right handed person go through a mirror-image series of movement when throwing.

(But that's just a guess. I must be seriously bored to even come up with such a question, since I do not own a boomerang and have never tried to throw one.)
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Jun '15 14:451 edit
    I would say the law or aerodynamics are constant, but the physical act of throwing with the left and right hand are opposite when causing the thrown object to spin, which would require the boomerang to be constructed differently to suit the particular hand used to throw it. This assumes that the left and right handed person go through a mirror-image series ...[text shortened]... come up with such a question, since I do not own a boomerang and have never tried to throw one.)
    Is a boomerang not symmetrical and therefore it matters little what hand it is thrown with only that it is thrown correctly? You could make a boomerang out of 5mm plywood, its easy and would bring you great joy and satisfaction to fly it in the local park. You might even bring down a teenager or two!
  5. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    28 Jun '15 14:55

So here's the question: [b]Do boomerangs come in left and right handed models?

or would it have to be made differently to suit a left handed thrower?[/b]
    Answer:

http://www.rangsboomerangs.com/left_handers.htm
  6. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    28 Jun '15 15:24
    Originally posted by JS357
    Answer:

http://www.rangsboomerangs.com/left_handers.htm
    Thanks. I checked youtube as well. It looks like it wouldn't be too hard to make one.
    I probably won't but I was just curious about the left and right handed thing.

I have had a couple cups of coffee now and I think I'll be OK for the rest of the day.
  7. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    28 Jun '15 15:28
    Thanks. I checked youtube as well. It looks like it wouldn't be too hard to make one.

I have had a couple cups of coffee now and I think I'll be OK for the rest of the day.
    Just don't listen to robbie.
  8. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    28 Jun '15 23:47
    I had an indoor boomerang that had to spin the correct way to fly.
    Throwing right-handed that meant with a traditional "chopping" style throw.
    It would not have worked left-handed.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Jul '15 20:29
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    I had an indoor boomerang that had to spin the correct way to fly.
    Throwing right-handed that meant with a traditional "chopping" style throw.
    It would not have worked left-handed.
    an indoor boomerang? right then!
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Jul '15 20:30
    Originally posted by HandyAndy
    Just don't listen to robbie.
    What bad thing has Carrobie done to you Randolph that you treat him so disrespectfully.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Jul '15 20:31

they are easy to make and great fun!
  12. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    04 Jul '15 02:342 edits
    Easy to make - heck, I'll send you one for free and I don't even want your email! Serious.

So they have these informal comps where they throw it in a way where it does a few full 'rotations' in the air before coming back down. the more rotations the better.

But they throw it differently to thos that just want a circular arc that comes back.
    You need to get a feel for it and use the throwing style that is most accurate. Try different grips,etc.Try to always throw at the same speed...watch the wind . for me I release at about 45% to the horizon but I'v seen people release at nearly 90%
    It will take a while to throw a sweet arc and catch it safely on the way back... but the it's just as fun learning and possibly a chick magnet - even here in Australia 🙂
  13. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    04 Jul '15 06:31
    an indoor boomerang? right then!
    Entertaining for the kids in class.

I would throw the boomerang straight at them ... and of course it missed.

Could throw it to circle behind my head, return and catch!
    (NO talent required! .. easy to master).
  14. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    04 Jul '15 15:02
    What do you call a boomerang that doesn't come back?

A stick.

😞
  15. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    04 Jul '15 15:23
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    What do you call a boomerang that doesn't come back?

A stick.

😞
    Nope, a hunting boomerang. (As opposed to the toy kind more well-known outside Oz.)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree