1. e4
    Moves
    09 Nov '13 12:15
    We might as well do a new thread for each game. (though this thread will be a short one) 🙁

All the anticipation, all the hope, all the expectancy dashed onto the rocks in 16 moves.

Is the Carlsen match plan to draw boringly with White putting the onus
    on Anand to make the match interesting.
    Is Carlsen hoping Anand will over-reach himself as White knowing the home
    fans will not allow their hero to play such tepid tosh.

Or was it just Carlsen getting his eye in and throwing the Anand team a wobbly
    to get them to look at something that will happen again. (I hope so.)

Carlsen - Anand. 2013 World Championship Game One.

2. Joined
    21 Jan '11
    Moves
    09 Nov '13 12:53
    Thanks for the timely reminders, gp 🙂

Its been a long time since I've followed any chess online, where might be the best places for coverage and analysis, outside checking in on our threads here of course 🙂
  3. Joined
    13 Apr '12
    Moves
    09 Nov '13 13:581 edit
    I enjoyed the game, not sure why everyone is saying it was boring, at least at 90 minutes my stamina is enough to remain engaged 😀. I'm going to look through the game properly again in a bit after dinner. I've been playing flank openings as white all this season, I've found they tend to be pretty drawish, get me to an ok middle game position with no great advantage or disadvantage and that appears to be what happened here. I'm rated 115 ECF, and have drawn with both a 94ECF and a 161ECF this season playing flank openings. Could probably have won the game with the 94 player if I'd been willing to play a very long game, I felt I had a very small edge but as we only needed a draw for the match and the position was not clear I took a draw.

And surely as Black a draw without too much effort is good for Anand. I hope so, I saw Carlsen wearing a scummy swansea city shirt on the official website, so put a bet on Anand. 🙂

A good place to watch appears to be YouTube if you subscribe to the channel, there is a promise all games will be shown there.
  4. Joined
    02 Aug '08
    Moves
    09 Nov '13 14:01
    How about some analysis, gp?
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    09 Nov '13 14:49
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    We might as well do a new thread for each game. (though this thread will be a short one) 🙁

All the anticipation, all the hope, all the expectancy dashed onto the rocks in 16 moves.

Is the Carlsen match plan to draw boringly with White putting the onus
    on Anand to make the match interesting.
    Is Carlsen hoping Anand will over-reach himself as Whi ...[text shortened]... dxc4 10. bxc4 Nb6 11. c5 Nc4 12. Bc1 Nd5 13. Qb3 Na5 14. Qa3 Nc4 15. Qb3 Na5 16. Qa3 Nc4 [/pgn]
    Looks like he is just feeling the waters, 11 games to go so we'll see what happens.
  6. e4
    Moves
    09 Nov '13 15:134 edits
    "How about some analysis, gp?"

😕

In this position.

Anand played 10...Nb6 pulling the c-pawn forward to give him the d5 square.
    The game was drawn 6 moves later.

In the same position in BrunoVanTysch - FalseProphet RHP 2008 Game 8587216
    Black played 10...Re8.

White nicks the a8 Rook.

7. New Braunfels, Texas
    Moves
    09 Nov '13 16:13
    "...Carlsen getting his eye in and throwing the Anand team a wobbly
    to get them to look at something that will happen again."

For those of us in the US, how about a translation gp? 😛
  8. e4
    Moves
    09 Nov '13 16:32
    Magnus has not had much match practise so he is getting used to the atmosphere.

He played this double finachetto to hopefully side-track the Anand team
    into wasting their time by looking at similiar variations.
  9. Joined
    13 Apr '12
    Moves
    09 Nov '13 19:09
    Well I've played over it, and I've changed my mind. Nice to see N-f3 and a fianchetto, which is what I play most games - made me feel I've actually learnt something about the opening over the last 12 months. Anand had all the initiative and chose to go for the repetition, understandable given that he had black - but has he let a rare opportunity slip by. It could end up like the striker who gets a great chance in the first minute, before he's settled into the game snaps at it and hooks it wide. Will he regret not going for 16...b6?

Carlsen - Anand. 2013 World Championship Game One.

10. Joined
    16 Mar '08
    Moves
    09 Nov '13 22:30
    I agree with your assessment. It seems to me that black had seized the initiative and was tying up white with his knights (an aside: I HATE knights working together like that, I can never get it right. I would rather play against the bishop pair). Carlsen had to 'undevelop' his queen bishop, and was clearly on the defensive. Anand had an opportunity to win (perhaps) with black, but was satisfied with the overall strategy of taking the draw with black. In my opinion, Carlsen was happy to get the draw in this situation.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Nov '13 00:161 edit
    Ok I am just going to come out and say it, would Fischer have made a draw after sixteen moves? His argument for draws not counting seems even more valid inducing players to take greater risks. Ok one can argue that there is nothing in the position, but even so such insipid play should not go rewarded. The first introduction for half a point was introduced at the Dundee congress if my memory serves me correctly and the tournament notes are available online.
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    10 Nov '13 02:33
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Ok I am just going to come out and say it, would Fischer have made a draw after sixteen moves? His argument for draws not counting seems even more valid inducing players to take greater risks. Ok one can argue that there is nothing in the position, but even so such insipid play should not go rewarded. The first introduction for half a point was int ...[text shortened]... Dundee congress if my memory serves me correctly and the tournament notes are available online.
    Crocodile Dundee was in congress?
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Nov '13 03:27
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Crocodile Dundee was in congress?
    Its a city in Scotland, here you can find a pdf of the event, 1867

google.com/file/d/0BzuSckOYLDJrZE9QM3FXX21CX1k/edit?usp=sharing&pli=1

I believe it was here that the first introduction of a half point for a draw was instituted.
  14. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    10 Nov '13 03:291 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Ok I am just going to come out and say it, would Fischer have made a draw after sixteen moves? His argument for draws not counting seems even more valid inducing players to take greater risks. Ok one can argue that there is nothing in the position, but even so such insipid play should not go rewarded. The first introduction for half a point was int ...[text shortened]... Dundee congress if my memory serves me correctly and the tournament notes are available online.
    Nope. Fischer would have played down to bare bones before agreeing to a draw. I always admired that about him.
  15. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    10 Nov '13 04:20
    Carlsen played an IMHO an overambitious opening with the queen side and king side fianchettoes. This left what I think is a nasty weakness on c4. This was a reconnaissance mission and Carlsen was probably glad to have a rep of moves to get out. Magnus can beat Anand, he just needs to settle down and play chess. If he gets too fancy schmancy Anand will crush him. Anand IMO being more of a theorist and Carlsen being the more energetic thinker.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree