1. Joined
    29 Oct '09
    Moves
    10 Nov '13 11:103 edits

My understanding it that Anand's 20. Rh3 was a draw offer and that Carlsen accepted it with 20... a5. Didn't Carlsen have the edge here? Could he play on to see if he can get a win? I mean it seems like Carlsen has the better bishop.
  2. Standard memberhedonist
    peacedog's keeper
    Moves
    10 Nov '13 11:51
    What was 11. ... Bb4+ all about? I'm totally baffled. Doesn't it help white to bolster his centre? What was wrong with just Be7 straight away?
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Nov '13 11:532 edits
    Originally posted by hedonist
    What was 11. ... Bb4+ all about? I'm totally baffled. Doesn't it help white to bolster his centre? What was wrong with just Be7 straight away?
    it comes with tempo, white gets a measly pawn move black gets to develop his bishop almost for free, glad to see the world number one employ the great Kann, even if it did lead to another insipid Grandmaster draw, I expect Magnus to play the Colle next
  4. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    10 Nov '13 12:061 edit
    Originally posted by hedonist
    Judging by how the game went, I guess that by enticing White to play c3, White's queenside position was a little bit more vulnerable to attack by b7-b5-b4. White had already posted his intention to castle queenside rather than kingside by h2-h4.

I know it's early days in this match, though not that early since it's only over twelve games, but it's been a complete let down so far.
  5. e4
    Moves
    10 Nov '13 12:41
    Another draw by rep. One day all games will end this way.

Very short match (12 games) one blunder will most likely decide it hence the shadow boxing.
    But we need that blunder like a football match at 0-0 needs a goal to get things going.
    At the moment both teams have had the warm up kick about and walked off the park.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Nov '13 12:49
    Originally posted by greenpawn34

Very short match (12 games) one blunder will most likely decide it hence the shadow boxing.
    But we need that blunder like a football match at 0-0 needs a goal to get things going.
    At the moment both teams have had the warm up kick about and walked off the park.
    we need to implement Fischers idea, draws don't count, only wins! First to five, or first to three wins, something like that, otherwise, someone wins a game and makes draws to the end.
  7. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    10 Nov '13 13:10
    "Another draw by rep."

It seems to me that Anand went to a lot of trouble (used a lot of tempi) to trade off Carlsen's bad bishop.
  8. Planet Earth , Mwy
    Moves
    10 Nov '13 13:22
    Once again an extremely annoying example of neither player wishing to do anything which might run even the very smallest risk a losing the position with black side. Only if there is the very real provable prospect of winning with white side will either player make any genuine attempt to do so. If no such prospect exists in any of the 12 games both will consider themselves fortunate, and will take their chances in the tie breaks which is most likely where the event will be decided. Robert J Fischer was quoted as saying that he did not like to accept any draw with fewer than 40 moves and perhaps the public would get a far better deal if the two contestants here were to take note and make a real effort to win! Sadly that is not going to happen which is an indication of the need for longer match game numbers and not fewer!
  9. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    10 Nov '13 13:28
    *Yawns* Wake me up if they decide to PLAY a game. 😞
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Nov '13 13:32
    Originally posted by moonbus
    "Another draw by rep."

It seems to me that Anand went to a lot of trouble (used a lot of tempi) to trade off Carlsen's bad bishop.
    the game is pure mainline Caro kann, I have played it myself many times, white gets a lot of tempi on that bishop when it comes to f5
  11. Planet Earth , Mwy
    Moves
    10 Nov '13 13:47
    When Anand saw Carlsens 1-c6 he must there and then have decided to play only to draw and must also have been delighted to see that Carlsen was indicating his obvious desire to draw game 2 and not play for a win with black. Carlsen having failed to get anything going in game one was certain to risk absolutely nothing with his first black side game hence his choice of opening. Safe risk free 25 moves and both can now rest up a while and Carlsen will now have to pull something better out of the bag for his second shot at white game since it is obvious Anand will not wish to go down any risky streets with black either! There can be no main game results until one of them is willing to risk something with white side! Perhaps we will all expire from disinterest before that happens?
  12. e4
    Moves
    10 Nov '13 14:301 edit
    Andrew Martin looks at this game.

YouTube

And makes some interesting comments as to why they playing like they are playing.
    They are there to win the World Chess Championship and nothing else.
    Not entertain us or the crowd or the sponsors but to win the World Chess Championship.

This position was reached on here between jofo - Pointe RHP 2010. Game 7742325

Anand played 15.Ne4. Jofo played 15.f5? and lost a Knight and the game
    after Black played 15....Nxe5.
    White cannot re-take on e5 because he losses his Queen.
  13. Orillia, Ontario
    Moves
    10 Nov '13 18:18
    Originally posted by greenpawn34

I'd like to see them go back to the 24 game format, but I know that will probably never happen.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Nov '13 22:04
    Originally posted by rickgarel
    I'd like to see them go back to the 24 game format, but I know that will probably never happen.
    probably the most comprehensive analysis i have come across, IM David Pruess

YouTube&feature=share
  15. Joined
    25 Oct '08
    Moves
    11 Nov '13 13:30
    Nice review http://t.co/bYecxzJQfu

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree