Liverpool
    Moves
    21 Nov '13 13:141 edit
    Not a great way to lose a World title. But 28. Nf1 just about sums it up
  3. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    21 Nov '13 13:201 edit
    Yes, Anand spent so much time on his 23rd move that he played all the moves after that a little too quickly. I can't help but feel that there are at least five players who would have given Carlsen a tougher fight than Anand has. I know that's in the nature of a Challenger needing to beat the Champion, but to be honest Anand has been a bit rubbish.
  4. Standard membersundown316
    The Mighty Messenger
    The Wood of N'Kai
    Moves
    21 Nov '13 13:30
    Anand has never been known for his fighting spirit. I think maybe the only 2 guys who might have a realisitic chance against Carlsen at this point are Akopian and Caruana.
  5. Planet Earth , Mwy
    Moves
    21 Nov '13 13:35
    the game should have continued Bf1 Q d1/Rh4 Qh5/N x Q g x N/R x h5 Bf5/Bh3 Bg6/e6 N x f6/ g x N Q x f6/ when black still has small advantage but is clearly not yet enough to win`,`but could be so later?
  6. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    21 Nov '13 13:462 edits
    Originally posted by sundown316
    Anand has never been known for his fighting spirit. I think maybe the only 2 guys who might have a realisitic chance against Carlsen at this point are Akopian and Caruana.
    Akopian? Did you mean Aronian?

My five players who would have put up more a fight than Anand are:

1) Kramnik - playing near his best for the last year or so, he really wants another crack at the title!

2) Nakamura - terrible record against Carlsen, but an exciting player who has improved in the last two years since he's been playing more tournaments with the other Big Boys.

3) Caruana - Younger than Carlsen and seems to do OK against him in head-to-heads.

4) Topolov - Can still play great chess, but seems to lack a little motivation to keep it up for a whole tournament.

5) Ivanchuk - Mad as a hatter and his constant nose-picking might not be good for the TV, but in my opinion the most brilliant player in the world when he has a good day.
  7. SubscriberRagwort
    Senecio Jacobaea
    Yorkshire
    Moves
    21 Nov '13 14:41
    I thought the post game press conference was very revealing in what world championship vision is all about.

Whilst the commentary team had been struggling to come up with a defence to the Qh6, Rf4-h4 idea at all, both players had seen a long way past that - similar to the line posted by RECUVIC above - but Anand had thought after Nf1 Qd1 Rh4 Qh5 a later Ne3 (it's on the way to e7 he said) would give him more pressure than the Bf1 line and he had simply overlooked Qe1. All long variations are faulty as they say...
  8. Joined
    04 Sep '07
    Moves
    21 Nov '13 14:572 edits
    Presumably Anand was a victim of the Kotov syndrome, which happens when a player analyses a line deeply and inconclusively, gets frustrated at not finding quite what he is looking for and plays something else that can all too easily be a blunder.
    It was fascinating to watch live, and I really feel for Anand who must have been looking for a clear win when he had his long think around move 23, and not found it after 28. Bf1.

If it had been a longer match perhaps he would have felt less pressure. I hope this is the last 12 game match at this level.
  9. Standard memberatticus2
    Frustrate the Bad
    Liverpool
    Moves
    21 Nov '13 15:142 edits
    Not much point watching tomorrow. Berlin Defence; 15 moves; shake hands; listen to the Fat Lady singing; then off to the pub.

No more 12-game matches? Ha! Don't bet on it. Anything longer gets very expensive.

Who next for Carlsen? No one really. Only Kramnik at his best could make a match of it. I think Carlsen is champion for as long as he wants it. Two decades maybe.

And India? Poor India! In the space of a week, they lose both Tendulkar and Anand
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    21 Nov '13 15:501 edit
    Originally posted by atticus2
    Not much point watching tomorrow. Berlin Defence; 15 moves; shake hands; listen to the Fat Lady singing; then off to the pub.

No more 12-game matches? Ha! Don't bet on it. Anything longer gets very expensive.

Who next for Carlsen? No one really. Only Kramnik at his best could make a match of it. I think Carlsen is champion for as long as he wants it. ...[text shortened]... ades maybe.

And India? Poor India! In the space of a week, they lose both Tendulkar and Anand
    It would REALLY suck if they lost the Mars probe too....

I didn't know Fat Lady could sing. Give us your best shot, FL🙂
  11. Standard memberatticus2
    Frustrate the Bad
    Liverpool
    Moves
    21 Nov '13 15:552 edits
    With the luck India's having, their Mars probe will head straight for Uranus
  12. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    21 Nov '13 16:54
    It's not to be. At least this game Anand tried to fight. I think better of him for having lost this game than if he had made another lifeless draw.
  13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    21 Nov '13 17:11
    Originally posted by atticus2
    With the luck India's having, their Mars probe will head straight for Uranus
    Nyuk nyuk nyuk🙂
  14. Standard membersundown316
    The Mighty Messenger
    The Wood of N'Kai
    Moves
    21 Nov '13 20:401 edit
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    Akopian? Did you mean Aronian?

My five players who would have put up more a fight than Anand are:

1) Kramnik - playing near his best for the last year or so, he really wants another crack at the title!

2) Nakamura - terrible record against Carlsen, but an exciting player who has improved in the last two years since he's been playing more tournament ...[text shortened]... ood for the TV, but in my opinion the most brilliant player in the world when he has a good day.
    Your right,I meant Aronian,I keep getting him and Akopian mixed up. I agree with your list except for Nakamura,Magnus seems to have the Indian Sign on him. 0-7 is a little hard to explain away.
  15. Joined
    14 Dec '07
    Moves
    21 Nov '13 22:08
    Originally posted by sundown316
    Your right,I meant Aronian,I keep getting him and Akopian mixed up. I agree with your list except for Nakamura,Magnus seems to have the Indian Sign on him. 0-7 is a little hard to explain away.
    Let's just all agree to pretend the best US player since Fischer at least has a chance against Carlsen.
    YouTube

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree