Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
www.redhotpawn.com - Play Online Chess

Forgot it?

Debates Forum

Anderson Cooper out of the closet

Original post by Subscriber sh76, 02 Jul '12 18:16
  1. Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves : 14038
    http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2012/07/02/anderson-cooper-im-gay/

This has nothing to do with his sexual orientation, but Cooper has always been one of my favorite cable reporters. He's not flashy or outlandish like O'Reilly or Maddow. He projects an aura of competence, dignity and impartiality.

I say congratulations to him on being comfortable enough with himself to not worry about what a few bigots might think.
  2. Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves : 23539
    Originally posted by sh76

This has nothing to do with his sexual orientation, but Cooper has always been one of my favorite cable reporters. He's not flashy or outlandish like O'Reilly or Maddow. He projects an aura of competence, dignity and impartiality.

I say congratulations to him on being comfortable enough with himself to not worry about what a few bigots might think.
    Flashy and outlandish? Rachel Maddow? I don't think so.
  3. Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves : 18734
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Flashy and outlandish? Rachel Maddow? I don't think so.
    Maddow is feisty, not flashy. (I also give her credit for her coverage of LGBT issues, because while she acknowledges her personal interests in the debate, she doesn't let her personal interests distract from the debate.)

I don't watch O'Reilley, but from what I've read about him, he isn't as bad as many of his critics make him out to be.

Cooper is great, though. He actually tries to be more nonpartisan than the other two do.
  4. Reepy Rastardly Guy
    In the back seat
    Moves : 9948
    I think we all knew Cooper was gay after his Giggles Incident, which is pretty good for some comic relief...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MumI6KovUk
  5. Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Originally posted by wittywonka
    Maddow is feisty, not flashy. (I also give her credit for her coverage of LGBT issues, because while she acknowledges her personal interests in the debate, she doesn't let her personal interests distract from the debate.)

I don't watch O'Reilley, but from what I've read about him, he isn't as bad as many of his critics make him out to be.

Cooper is great, though. He actually tries to be more nonpartisan than the other two do.
    Maddow isn't "flashy" per se, but she's hyper-partisan. Everything she says about any conservative idea or politician is dripping with sarcasm and contempt. She also uses that smug ironic grin every time she talks about anything to do with anything remotely Republican.
  6. Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy
    I think we all knew Cooper was gay after his Giggles Incident, which is pretty good for some comic relief...

He's gay because he cracked up doing a report?

I once lost control of myself laughing during a class. Believe me, sexual orientation has nothing to do with it. Sometime you just lose control.

In any case, that was actually pretty funny, so thanks for the clip.
  7. Reepy Rastardly Guy
    In the back seat
    Moves : 9948
    He's gay because he cracked up doing a report?

I once lost control of myself laughing during a class. Believe me, sexual orientation has nothing to do with it. Sometime you just lose control.

In any case, that was actually pretty funny, so thanks for the clip.
    Not because he cracked up, but because he giggles like a little girl watching my little pony. I love that clip. Cracks me up every time.
  8. Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy

So classic. Loved that clip.
  9. Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Maddow isn't "flashy" per se, but she's hyper-partisan. Everything she says about any conservative idea or politician is dripping with sarcasm and contempt. She also uses that smug ironic grin every time she talks about anything to do with anything remotely Republican.
    I agree that she's very partisan, and I agree that she does seem to enjoy criticizing the GOP and conservatism, but I think she tries pretty hard to stay professional, especially when she interviews guests with whom she obviously disagrees.

At the least, I think she does a better job inviting (and interviewing) Republicans on her show than does anyone else on the MSNBC line-up.
  10. Joined : 12 Jul '08
    Moves : 7570

If sexual orientation isn't supposed to matter, then why does it matter enough to mention it?

What a person does in the bedroom is that person's business. Why is it only gay people who have the need to announce what they do in their own bedrooms to the world?

I find it rather strange.
  11. Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    That's exactly how I feel every time I respond to one of your posts.
  12. Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Originally posted by wittywonka
    I agree that she's very partisan, and I agree that she does seem to enjoy criticizing the GOP and conservatism, but I think she tries pretty hard to stay professional, especially when she interviews guests with whom she obviously disagrees.

At the least, I think she does a better job inviting (and interviewing) Republicans on her show than does anyone else on the MSNBC line-up.
    It's not partisan to heap abuse on the Republicans if they deserve it (which they always do). If Hitler and Mussolini were engaged in a debate, the "reasonable" position is NOT midway between them.
  13. Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Originally posted by Eladar
    If sexual orientation isn't supposed to matter, then why does it matter enough to mention it?

What a person does in the bedroom is that person's business. Why is it only gay people who have the need to announce what they do in their own bedrooms to the world?

I find it rather strange.
    It matters because gay people are still subject to scorn ridicule and discrimination in more contexts than any other distinct group of people.

A wise man once said that the best way to eliminate homophobia would be to out every gay person in the world. Once everyone sees that they have friends, neighbors or children who are gay, they'd stop thinking that it's something to be shamed of or to scorn.

If more respected public figures come out, it increases acceptance in people who previously were homophobic, even if slightly.
  14. Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Originally posted by rwingett
    That's exactly how I feel every time I respond to one of your posts.
    <yawn>
  15. Standard member FMF
    Scourge of Windbags
    Windbagsville
    Moves : 24163
    It matters because gay people are still subject to scorn ridicule and discrimination in more contexts than any other distinct group of people.
    Well said. Remember that Eladar infamously once said on this forum that he would not have any problem with the government of the country he was living in if it executed people for being homosexuals. So it might take more than a few Anderson Coopers openly declaring their sexual orientation to tackle Eladar's prejudice on this issue!