1. Standard membertalzamir
    Art, not a Toil
    60.13N / 25.01E
    Moves
    20 Jan '14 11:132 edits
    The ones by Wolfgang were a treat, so the least I can do is give another set in return.

A short grand master has something in common with this method of blasting the enemy center with plastic explosives.

Bold, daring, grand when it works. A lash or trap awaits those who accept extra generosity and then think it unwise of kings to seek safety.

Could your king be open, son? Not easily with this opening, dad.

Going for what seems readily available may prove costly in this attack that could seem named after mixed-up assimilating cubes or Captain Pike's without title.

Saying Ciao! I go. Upon loud games and gamers I frown.

So flexible that it is the opposite of tieing prone, but perhaps something that the inept ignore. Richard liked to use this sweet treat to ask a question from his opponent.

The Americans call this rare beauty after one of their own, as do the Dutch, and some credit a supernatural steed with a pending snout.

The sky looks upon those who remember what we were like first, before we came down from the trees.

When seeing Henri Eduard Vogel's legacy, a great Dane chose the opposite of to face it with firm tag mobs.
  2. SubscriberRagwort
    Senecio Jacobaea
    Yorkshire
    Moves
    20 Jan '14 18:581 edit
    Well, number nine is : Reveal Hidden Content
    From's Gambit

and six is: Reveal Hidden Content
    Reti Opening
  3. Standard membertalzamir
    Art, not a Toil
    60.13N / 25.01E
    Moves
    20 Jan '14 23:27
    Nice work. =)
  4. Joined
    26 Apr '03
    Moves
    21 Jan '14 21:32
    Satan's pen scribbled this tricky rule
  5. SubscriberRagwort
    Senecio Jacobaea
    Yorkshire
    Moves
    22 Jan '14 13:46
    Originally posted by iamatiger
    Satan's pen scribbled this tricky rule
    Reveal Hidden Content
    en passant

...But I'm struggling for inspiration with Talzamir's others which don't seem to follow the cryptic crossword clue conventions that I'm familiar with...
  6. SubscriberRagwort
    Senecio Jacobaea
    Yorkshire
    Moves
    22 Jan '14 15:012 edits
    Originally posted by talzamir
    The ones by Wolfgang were a treat, so the least I can do is give another set in return.

A short grand master has something in common with this method of blasting the enemy center with plastic explosives.

1. Reveal Hidden Content
    English Opening (Nigel Short and C4 explosive)

Oh and 5. has just come to me ...

Reveal Hidden Content
    Giuoco Piano... or is it pianissimo? Not sure now
  7. Standard membertalzamir
    Art, not a Toil
    60.13N / 25.01E
    Moves
    22 Jan '14 19:131 edit
    Nice work. A few comments on the four solved so far.

#1 Reveal Hidden Content
    this indeed refers to Nigel Short, the English grand master, and blasting the enemy center with C4. Hence 1. c4, and the English opening.

#5 Reveal Hidden Content
    giuoco piano, not pianissimo. It's a form of the Italian opening - hence Ciao.. and quiet game as the hint suggests. And finally, hidden as anagram in ciao-i-go-upon.

#6 Reveal Hidden Content
    The Reti opening, flexible and a form of asking the opponent how he wants to play so you can choose something else. It was hidden as anagram twice, tieing+prone and inept+ignore. Richard Reti, obviously.Sweet treat for the German Zucker-Tarte, hinting at the other name of the opening, Zukertort opening.

#9 Reveal Hidden Content
    , indeed From Gambit. It replies to the the Bird's Opening, aka Dutch attack, so I used a Dutch translation / counterpart to Henry Edward Bird, the master who played it. The great Dane is Martin Severin From for whom the opening is named. From is the opposite of to, and firm tag mobs is an anagram of From's Gambit.
  8. SubscriberRagwort
    Senecio Jacobaea
    Yorkshire
    Moves
    22 Jan '14 22:31
    Number 2. Reveal Hidden Content
    Halosar Trap (in the Ryder Gambit). I can see the anagram which seems to fit the narrative
  9. Standard membertalzamir
    Art, not a Toil
    60.13N / 25.01E
    Moves
    23 Jan '14 00:42
    Correct. =)

#2 Reveal Hidden Content
    The Halosar Trap is indeed written there as anagram, the extra generosity refers to the second pawn given in Ryder Gambit, and the end of the text to the trigger move of the trap. The first three words start with b, d, g respectively, giving the answer I had in mind. Blackmar-Diemer Gambit, occasionally simply referred to as BDG.
  10. SubscriberRagwort
    Senecio Jacobaea
    Yorkshire
    Moves
    24 Jan '14 17:32
    Number 7: Reveal Hidden Content
    Dunst Opening (anagram) after Dunst (USA) and Van Geet I'm guessing. Is the supernatural steed a Seahorse (c horse 😀) by any chance?
  11. Standard membertalzamir
    Art, not a Toil
    60.13N / 25.01E
    Moves
    25 Jan '14 00:201 edit
    Another one correct. Only three to go =)

#7 Reveal Hidden Content
    The supernatural steed is Odin's eight-legged horse. Dunst Opening has over a dozen names, including Sleipnir Opening.
  12. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    26 Jan '14 07:02
    #4 Reveal Hidden Content
    Grob or Spike
  13. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    26 Jan '14 07:051 edit
    #8 Reveal Hidden Content
    Sokolsky or Orangutan
  14. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    26 Jan '14 07:07
    Originally posted by talzamir
    Cleverer than mine.
    Good job!
    😀
  15. Standard membertalzamir
    Art, not a Toil
    60.13N / 25.01E
    Moves
    26 Jan '14 21:43
    I'm glad you liked these. It's a fine reason to make more.

The last one open was #3. Reveal Hidden Content
    Benko's opening, hidden as anagram near the start. One that builds a fine Indian-style hiding place for the King right from the start.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree