1. Joined
    11 Aug '14
    Moves
    10 Sep '14 20:422 edits
    I am black again, another dodgy sacrifice by me on move 10. It didn't lead to a win this time, but I did end up with the better endgame position, I just didn't have the ability to convert it. I guess I'm very lucky that my opponents are human and not computer.

Does anybody disagree with my comments? I'm looking for advice on how to study my games.

2. SubscriberRooksandHooks
    rookorbycrook
    Solihull
    Moves
    10 Sep '14 21:29
    yes london system
  3. e4
    Moves
    11 Sep '14 01:40
    Just keep playing how you are playing. You will have to lose
    some of these dodgy sacs to cure you!
    You can squeeze some play from that ending. The h3 pawn gets you play.

4. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    11 Sep '14 14:25
    7.c3
    "I don't know if this is opening theory. Probably the London system or something like that, but it looks bad to me. It removes a natural developing square for the knight and with h3 having been played as well, I fail to see what it achieves in return for handing me a lead in development".
    I play the London system a lot.My knight always goes to D2 to stop the black knight advance and c3 also shores up the position against a queens side assault by black
  5. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    11 Sep '14 15:49
    Originally posted by PacMan
    I am black again, another dodgy sacrifice by me on move 10. It didn't lead to a win this time, but I did end up with the better endgame position, I just didn't have the ability to convert it. I guess I'm very lucky that my opponents are human and not computer.

Does anybody disagree with my comments? I'm looking for advice on how to study my games.

[pgn] ...[text shortened]... to exploit it. I chickened out and allowed a repetition.} 25. Ke2 Re8+ 26. Kd2 1/2-1/2

[/pgn]
    I disagree with your assessments of white's seventh and eighth moves. 7. c3 is fine, it leaves your g7 bishop biting on granite and generally helps to stabilize the centre, the knight can go to d2. Personally I'd have castled instead of playing 8. e3-e4 but I don't think his move is as bad as you seemed to think. 8. ... e5 is clearly the right thing to do. He is probably wrong to play 9. dxe5 and should just move the bishop to g5, pinning the knight.

Your sacrifice wasn't sound, but your self-criticism is too strong. In a recent game (Game 10669692) I went for the Greek gift sacrifice, only I'd failed to spot a possible defence and so lost. I saw the defence shortly after committing myself to the sacrifice. If you look at the books after 8. Bxh7 Kxh7 9. Ng5 they point out that the better defence is often to move the king to g6 rather than g8. So I'd spent more time on looking at lines after 9. ... Kg6. I don't think this completely explains my missing the move, but my underestimation of 9. ... Kg8 created this cognitive bias in favour of a duff move.
  6. Joined
    11 Aug '14
    Moves
    12 Sep '14 10:59
    Thank you for the input guys.
  7. Joined
    18 Feb '10
    Moves
    12 Sep '14 14:26
    In my opinion the London System does not work well against black defences involving d6 and e5. In particular the bishop on d3 and knight on f3 are prone to a pawn fork. I think White is better off playing an early Nc3 and turning it into some sort of "150 attack" or "Barry attack" type set-up.
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    13 Sep '14 07:04
    Originally posted by Data Fly
    In my opinion the London System does not work well against black defences involving d6 and e5. In particular the bishop on d3 and knight on f3 are prone to a pawn fork. I think White is better off playing an early Nc3 and turning it into some sort of "150 attack" or "Barry attack" type set-up.
    Can you expand on that? I never heard of either attack.
  9. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    13 Sep '14 15:03
    Originally posted by Data Fly
    Yes that fork is one I've fallen for before but I watch out for it now.
    There's ways to combat it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree