1. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    21 Jul '15 15:08
    http://disinfo.com/2015/07/why-anti-authoritarians-are-diagnosed-as-mentally-ill-2/

partial quote:

"Gaining acceptance into graduate school or medical school and achieving a PhD or MD and becoming a psychologist or psychiatrist means jumping through many hoops, all of which require much behavioral and attentional compliance to authorities, even to those authorities that one lacks respect for. The selection and socialization of mental health professionals tends to breed out many anti-authoritarians. Having steered the higher-education terrain for a decade of my life, I know that degrees and credentials are primarily badges of compliance. Those with extended schooling have lived for many years in a world where one routinely conforms to the demands of authorities. Thus for many MDs and PhDs, people different from them who reject this attentional and behavioral compliance appear to be from another world—a diagnosable one."

End quote.

There is a link to the entire article for those interested.

I'm curious whether any of the strong anti-authoritarians here have had this problem.
  2. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    21 Jul '15 17:23
    Originally posted by JS357
    http://disinfo.com/2015/07/why-anti-authoritarians-are-diagnosed-as-mentally-ill-2/

partial quote:

"Gaining acceptance into graduate school or medical school and achieving a PhD or MD and becoming a psychologist or psychiatrist means jumping through many hoops, all of which require much behavioral and attentional compliance to authorities, even to those ...[text shortened]... rested.

I'm curious whether any of the strong anti-authoritarians here have had this problem.
    It's an interesting observation, though I'd like to hear an alternative suggestion as to how to train doctors.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    21 Jul '15 17:25
    Originally posted by sh76
    It's an interesting observation, though I'd like to hear an alternative suggestion as to how to train doctors.
    Community organizers are perfectly qualified to do pretty much anything. 😵
  4. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    21 Jul '15 20:31

partial quote:

"Gaining acceptance into graduate school or medical school and achieving a PhD or MD and becoming a psychologist or psychiatrist means jumping through many hoops, all of which require much behavioral and attentional compliance to authorities, even to those ...[text shortened]... rested.

It seems perfectly normal for people who have been compelled to comply in order to reach a goal, to look down on those who have lived much freer lives. In some cases, these folks have actually gained knowledge in other ways, which didn't require the degree of compliance, and those folks are more likely to question the norms.
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    24 Jul '15 07:34

partial quote:

Well, it is easy to see (or should be easy to see) why this is on a "disinformation" website.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    24 Jul '15 10:45

partial quote:

Just come out and say it, being anti-authority = mental illness.

Is that part of the Dim platform now?
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    24 Jul '15 14:22
    It used to be that the classical usage of the term "liberal" meant being opposed to authoritarian rule.

Now it appears that the modern day liberal insists on the status quo or risk being labeled mentally ill.
  8. Germany
    Moves
    24 Jul '15 15:14
    Originally posted by whodey
    It used to be that the classical usage of the term "liberal" meant being opposed to authoritarian rule.

Now it appears that the modern day liberal insists on the status quo or risk being labeled mentally ill.
    Who are these "modern day liberals" who "insist on the status quo or label [others as] mentally ill"? Can you name a few examples?
  9. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    24 Jul '15 16:20
    Originally posted by whodey
    Just come out and say it, being anti-authority = mental illness.

Is that part of the Dim platform now?
    I think you mis-read my post and/or the link or I didn't state it clearly.

The thesis is: Anti-authoritarianism tends to be diagnosed as a mental illness by people in authority, because they have lived in an authoritarian system while getting their credentials, and to them it is the "normal" mode of living. They learned to defer to authority to get their psychologist/psychiatrist credentials and now they are in authority to judge others. This can happen in both the left and the right of the political spectrum.

You can disagree with the thesis, I'm just trying to state it clearly.
  10. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    24 Jul '15 16:25
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Well, it is easy to see (or should be easy to see) why this is on a "disinformation" website.
    I suggest you tap the "about" button on the page and see what the site says it is about.

I was hoping for comments on the idea presented.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Jul '15 17:17
    Higher education in a scientific, legal, or medical field versus being hip free and natural and doing things your way and educating yourself because you're Too Real to conform to what The Man wants. .
    Hmmmmmm ....who would you rather have piloting your airplane, doing surgery, or defending you in a court of law?
  12. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    24 Jul '15 18:07
    Originally posted by FishHead111
    Higher education in a scientific, legal, or medical field versus being hip free and natural and doing things your way and educating yourself because you're Too Real to conform to what The Man wants. .
    Hmmmmmm ....who would you rather have piloting your airplane, doing surgery, or defending you in a court of law?
    The article was specific to psychologists and psychiatrists. Just sayin'.
  13. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    25 Jul '15 00:36
    The article was specific to psychologists and psychiatrists. Just sayin'.
    It might be noted that those who make breakthroughs, in medicine and other sciences, are often non-compliant. Take Louis Pasteur as an example. I'm sure others would surface with some thought.
  14. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    25 Jul '15 02:51
    All I can say is there are plenty of mentally ill and/or antiestablishment types to be found in mathematics Ph.D. programs.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree