1. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    23 Oct '13 15:42
    After I read this article I realized that the religious right may be more likely to lie for financial gain if the article is true. If more republicans are more religious than democrats the implication could be that republicans are more often unethical than democrats.

http://www.salon.com/2013/10/22/study_religious_more_likely_to_lie_for_financial_gain_partner/?source=newsletter

Is the study right or wrong? Feel free to pick it apart if you can. The goal here is the truth.

Are republicans more unethical on average than democrats? Partisan creatures are welcome to express their opinions here. It should make for an interesting debate.
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    23 Oct '13 16:27
    Originally posted by Metal Brain
    Are republicans more unethical on average than democrats?
    I am shocked that you even bothered to ask. I am not american and don't really follow your politics that closely, but it is blatantly obvious that the republican party has a culture of lying - and most republicans I have talked to readily admit it.
  3. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    23 Oct '13 16:33
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    ...and most republicans I have talked to readily admit it.
    Were they lying when they said that?
  4. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    23 Oct '13 17:001 edit
    After I read this article I realized that the religious right may be more likely to lie for financial gain if the article is true. If more republicans are more religious than democrats the implication could be that republicans are more often unethical than democrats.

http://www.salon.com/2013/10/22/study_religious_more_likely_to_lie_for_financial_gain ...[text shortened]... creatures are welcome to express their opinions here. It should make for an interesting debate.
    As a Democrat I'm tempted to jump all over this, and call republicans more dishonest, but I don't think one study proves much. I've noticed lying by both sides for political and financial gain going back decades. I'd say the jury is still out on this one.
  5. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    23 Oct '13 18:05
    If you think that either Democrats or Republicans are ethical, then you have deceived yourself.
  6. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    25 Oct '13 02:19

http://www.salon.com/2013/10/22/study_religious_more_likely_to_lie_for_financial_gain ...[text shortened]... creatures are welcome to express their opinions here. It should make for an interesting debate.
    At the founding, even the least religious were more religious than today's claimants of faith. Few people have real practicing religious faith, although huge numbers claim a religion, and many regularly attend church.

My personal experience is that ethics and religion aren't connected. And the notion of ethics among any politicians is like finding a wolf that is vegetarian.
  7. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    25 Oct '13 15:33
    When you're willing to cause a loss of 26 billion dollars via government shutdown, just because your side LEGALLY lost their battle against free healthcare....you just might be unethical.
  8. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    25 Oct '13 16:02
    Originally posted by normbenign
    At the founding, even the least religious were more religious than today's claimants of faith. Few people have real practicing religious faith, although huge numbers claim a religion, and many regularly attend church.

My personal experience is that ethics and religion aren't connected. And the notion of ethics among any politicians is like finding a wolf that is vegetarian.
    My experience is that those that claim to be very religious are just bigger hypocrites. I used to be in a band with a singer who claimed to be religious and he was a car salesman. He was very dishonest. Women that I have dated claimed to be faithful and turned out to be players who lied all the time.

I think atheists are more honest that theists on average. Maybe not by a lot but I think theists are very good at fooling themselves into being able to justify just about any unethical behavior to be self serving.
  9. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    25 Oct '13 23:53
    My experience is that those that claim to be very religious are just bigger hypocrites. I used to be in a band with a singer who claimed to be religious and he was a car salesman. He was very dishonest. Women that I have dated claimed to be faithful and turned out to be players who lied all the time.

I think atheists are more honest that theists on av ...[text shortened]... ling themselves into being able to justify just about any unethical behavior to be self serving.
    It is not as easy to identify hypocrisy in atheists. They tend to have few assertive views, compared to theists. Asserted views tend to be open to attack, or to be observed as hypocritical.
  10. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    25 Oct '13 23:55
    Originally posted by vivify
    When you're willing to cause a loss of 26 billion dollars via government shutdown, just because your side LEGALLY lost their battle against free healthcare....you just might be unethical.
    There is no free health care. Where does the loss of $26 billion loss come from? Do you just make up these numbers?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree