1. Joined
    21 Nov '14
    Moves
    09 Mar '15 13:361 edit
    If you are going to play against a much higher rated player, are you intimidated ? Fact is, it might be the other around, as the higher rated player has much more to lose. Even the topmost guys have "off" days. And then , when you are opposing a much lower rated player, you might let down your guard and think the game will win itself.
  2. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    09 Mar '15 14:20
    Originally posted by woadman
    If you are going to play against a much higher rated player, are you intimidated ? Fact is, it might be the other around, as the higher rated player has much more to lose. Even the topmost guys have "off" days. And then , when you are opposing a much lower rated player, you might let down your guard and think the game will win itself.
    Generally not. My ego can cope with the loss of a game of chess to someone who is objectively better than me. The only time it would be a problem is in the first round of a knock-out tournament when the rating of the player I have to face is 400+ higher than mine. Since then I'd be knocked out of the tournament and wouldn't get any more games. That's why Swiss Tournaments are preferable.
  3. e4
    Moves
    09 Mar '15 14:38
    Never feared anybody.

I fear me! and what I am going to do. I never get beat by good moves
    or because the lad is apparently better than me due to a number.

I lose because I played bad moves.

Sometimes I win because I played bad moves!

But it's always me, never my opponent that is the reason I lose a game.

So who is there to fear except yourself.
  4. Joined
    21 Nov '14
    Moves
    09 Mar '15 14:49
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Never feared anybody.

I fear me! and what I am going to do. I never get beat by good moves
    or because the lad is apparently better than me due to a number.

I lose because I played bad moves.

Sometimes I win because I played bad moves!

But it's always me, never my opponent that is the reason I lose a game.

So who is there to fear except yourself.
    that reminds me of quote from Bobby Fischer..."I don't believe in psychology, I believe in good moves" lol
  5. Joined
    14 May '14
    Moves
    09 Mar '15 23:02
    Never feared higher rated players and almost always asked that player to go over the games with me if they could. Even just one or two comments where appreciated. If anything I find it harder to play a much lower rated player do to complacency. But I have found a couple very arrogant players that I'd like to beat over the head with a chess table.
  6. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    09 Mar '15 23:30
    Originally posted by Rookpawn59
    Never feared higher rated players and almost always asked that player to go over the games with me if they could. Even just one or two comments where appreciated. If anything I find it harder to play a much lower rated player do to complacency. But I have found a couple very arrogant players that I'd like to beat over the head with a chess table.
    I heard a story, probably apocryphal, about a chess player in Glasgow who, having won his game, asked his opponent to sign his score sheet - this is not normal practice in minor league games in the U.K.. The guy exploded in rage and head butted him.
  7. e4
    Moves
    10 Mar '15 01:39
    Don't know about the head-butt but I witnessed this.

A lad who had just played and lost his first ever serious game.
    He was in the bar have a pint when his opponent came up to him
    and in a polite manner asked if he wanted to go over the game.

The loser belted him a shot in mouth because he thought the
    lad was being "cocky" and did not realise that going over a game
    was the done thing and perfectly normal.

----

I was in a car getting a lift back from a tournament. The driver pulled off
    the motorway onto the hard shoulder so he and someone sitting beside me
    in the back seat could get out and trade punches.

They were arguing about the Alekhine's Defence.

-----

Those are just two instances. 5 guys who played for Sandy Bells were
    actually banned from Sandy Bells for fighting the in bar.
  8. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    10 Mar '15 03:58
    I play everyone the same. Ratings mean nothing, it's you vs. them, mano a mano. I'm not easily intimidated.
  9. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    10 Mar '15 05:12
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    I play everyone the same. Ratings mean nothing, it's you vs. them, mano a mano. I'm not easily intimidated.
    I'm not sure I can claim such an egalitarian approach. Against a player my own size, I'll gladly trade Queens for a better endgame, especially if I've got nothing of note going on in the middlegame. Against a sub-1000 player, I feel like I've failed if I even allow a trade of Queens.
  10. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    10 Mar '15 05:29
    And woadman, the right word isn't fear, but respect. And it only applies to people with high ratings, not people who use engines to get high ratings. Being afraid of, or respecting, a highly rated engine is about as rational as fearing you're going to lose the Indy 500 if you run it on foot.
  11. Joined
    12 Nov '06
    Moves
    10 Mar '15 21:352 edits
  12. Joined
    21 Nov '14
    Moves
    10 Mar '15 21:511 edit
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    And woadman, the right word isn't [b]fear, but respect. And it only applies to people with high ratings, not people who use engines to get high ratings. Being afraid of, or respecting, a highly rated engine is about as rational as fearing you're going to lose the Indy 500 if you run it on foot.[/b]
    your panning is so redundant...I wasn't aware that you have a PH.D in English.
  13. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    10 Mar '15 22:37
    your panning is so redundant...I wasn't aware that you have a PH.D in English.
    It is not my fault that you have a single defining attribute.
  14. Joined
    15 Aug '12
    Moves
    11 Mar '15 09:391 edit
    On RHP, no...there aren't that many higher rated than me 😉

And most of those who are 'higher' rated on RHP I don't play again because their OTB rate isn't higher than mine, it is just their assistance that is higher rated than me.

I have played GM Alex Yermolinsky OTB. I'll admit I was a little intimidated and my play probably reflected this.

Anyone with brains should respect a higher rating. Being intimidated will differ from personalty to personality and circumstances as well.

Being intimidated can be a sign of intelligence. I think back to the Chiwawa that a couple months ago decided to stand his ground against my two German Shepherds (you can imagine how that played out). He had a @BiggDogProblem obviously 😉
  15. Joined
    21 Nov '14
    Moves
    11 Mar '15 12:18
    Originally posted by King Tiger
    On RHP, no...there aren't that many higher rated than me 😉

And most of those who are 'higher' rated on RHP I don't play again because their OTB rate isn't higher than mine, it is just their assistance that is higher rated than me.

I have played GM Alex Yermolinsky OTB. I'll admit I was a little intimidated and my play probably reflected this.
    ...[text shortened]... wo German Shepherds (you can imagine how that played out). He had a @BiggDogProblem obviously 😉
    You're a bit boastful , chap....

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree