1. Joined
    12 Jun '13
    Moves
    08 Nov '13 11:042 edits
    I was watching some games from 'series 7' last night, this one was a cracker:

Quinteros - Browne

chessgames.com has this as being played in 1981 [which is not correct] the location also -I believe- was Bath.

Some of the in-game commentary was wonderful:
    "Well meester Browne, I theenk it ees time to call you an ambulance!"

The dvd was worth it for this game alone......enjoy!
  2. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    08 Nov '13 11:23
    Are you sure the game wasn't played in 1981? The program was shown in early 1982, but obviously the games weren't "live" and I could quite imagine that it would take a few months from the time the game was played to the time it appeared on the TV.

The Master Game was a great concept, with the players mugging it up to show their excitement or displeasure and great commentary added afterwards but spoken as if we could read their thoughts during the game. Much more entertaining (but much more work) than what has has become the norm now - watching live games with instant, often banal, commentary by one or two strong players, who are usually switching between several games going on at the same time.
  3. Joined
    12 Jun '13
    Moves
    08 Nov '13 11:30
    Ooh, actually yes '81 seems correct. doh!

Yes I think the basic concept is due for a renaissance......my kids were gripped & desperate to chop some wood afterwards.
  4. Standard memberhedonist
    peacedog's keeper
    Moves
    08 Nov '13 11:42
    Originally posted by SMesq
    Ooh, actually yes '81 seems correct. doh!

Yes I think the basic concept is due for a renaissance......my kids were gripped & desperate to chop some wood afterwards.
    I remember watching this show as a kid and loving it even though I barely knew how the pieces moved. This and the epic encounters between Karpov and Kasparov being occasionally reported on the news was what probably led me to take up chess as a hobby later on.
  5. e4
    Moves
    08 Nov '13 15:18
    I recall some league matches and club championship game
    being altered so the players could watch this on the telly.

All the players semed to get into the swing of things and realised this
    was for entertainment so piffy excuses why they lost were shelved and
    they admitted with an 'OUCH!' they had never seen the good move coming.

As Fat lady said adding the thoughts after the game is much more entertaining
    than listening to or reading some IM's/GM's live game comments who take
    their cue from what Fritz says.
  6. Standard memberthaughbaer
    Duckfinder General
    223b Baker Street
    Moves
    09 Nov '13 15:281 edit
    Originally posted by hedonist
    I remember watching this show as a kid and loving it even though I barely knew how the pieces moved. This and the epic encounters between Karpov and Kasparov being occasionally reported on the news was what probably led me to take up chess as a hobby later on.
    I can still hum the theme tune... where did you get the DVD from ? I'm sure I've searched before and found nothing apart from clips on Youtube.

Edit: Ugh.. £23 for a DVD of one series.. which will have cost virtually nothing to produce.. that's being held to ransom. Will have to wait for fleaBay.
  7. Joined
    22 May '06
    Moves
    25 Nov '13 04:16
    These videos were on youtube for a year or so. I think someone decided to release them as a DVD and then this got taken down from youtube.
    Too expensive - £23. £10 more like it.
  8. Standard memberthaughbaer
    Duckfinder General
    223b Baker Street
    Moves
    26 Nov '13 16:15
    Originally posted by CaptainBIdseye
    These videos were on youtube for a year or so. I think someone decided to release them as a DVD and then this got taken down from youtube.
    Too expensive - £23. £10 more like it.
    Or £8.99 here for Series 6... and now there's one less.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370894379620?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
  9. Standard memberthaughbaer
    Duckfinder General
    223b Baker Street
    Moves
    04 Dec '13 15:01
    Just watched Gligoric versus Short (@15). Good game.. Gligoric sends his knight to the queenside flank on a fools errand after the b2 pawn then gets ripped apart on the kingside. The technology is awful with the pieces shaking as they move by hand but the players commentating on themselves is compulsive... and oh that theme tune.
  10. Standard memberthaughbaer
    Duckfinder General
    223b Baker Street
    Moves
    12 Dec '13 19:52
    So I've watched a few episodes of Series 6... then I walk into the living room while the kids are watching Gogglebox on Channel 4.... and holy crap Batman... it's Bill Hartston.
  11. e4
    Moves
    12 Dec '13 22:14
    I've watched the whole series.
    The wonky bits gliding from square to square is I think neat.
    It appears it was someone behind a glass screen with demo board facing away from them.
    At the end of the Short - Miles game you can just see the hand behind the screen.
    Each reverse square could be lite up by Bill Hartson.

The Tony Miles - Lothar Schmid game is good.
    Schmid weakens his kingside for all the right positional reasons, but for
    all the wrong tactical reasons.
    Miles - Larsen is also very good viewing.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree