1. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    16 Jul '14 21:291 edit
    The voting has closed, and the spreadsheet has tallied. Here are the official rankings of the pieces.

1st Place with 42 points: Entry 4 - I Had the Strangest Day by moonbus

2nd Place with 31 points: Entry 1 - Dialogue by ponderable

3rd Place with 10 points: Entry 2 - Aisle Three by Sahuaro

4th Place with 7 points: Entry 3 - Vacation by ponderable

I did not deduct any points for 'freestyle' since we had a limited no. of entries.

Here's how everyone voted.

Entry no.
    1   2   3   4        Voter
    0   3   1   5   grampybobby
    1   0   3   5   deep thought
    5   0   1   3   lolof
    3   1   0   5   redbadger
    3   0   1   5   drewnogal
    3   0   1   5   sahuaro
    5   3   0   1   sonhouse
    3   1   0   5   great king rat
    3   1   0   5   silverstriker
    5   1   0   3   HandyAndy

Congratulation to MOONBUS on the win and thank you to all the writers and voters.
  2. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    16 Jul '14 21:46
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    The voting has closed, and the spreadsheet has tallied. Here are the official rankings of the pieces.

1st Place with 42 points: Entry 4 - I Had the Strangest Day by moonbus

2nd Place with 31 points: Entry 1 - Dialogue by ponderable

3rd Place with 10 points: Entry 2 - [i]Aisle ...[text shortened]... andyAndy

Congratulation to MOONBUS on the win and thank you to all the writers and voters.
    Well done, BigDoggProblem. Congratulations to moonbus for top honors; as well as to ponderable and Sahuaro.
  3. Joined
    10 May '07
    Moves
    17 Jul '14 05:33
    Congratulations to the winner and to the other writers for doing so well!
  4. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    17 Jul '14 08:55
    Congratulations moonbus!
  5. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    17 Jul '14 19:03
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    Congratulations moonbus!
    To those who read our pieces and cast votes (whether for my entry or any other): thank you. You are the literati of RHP.

To my fellow contestants, it is only fair to say that you were up against a published author (if that is any consolation). But despair not, Graham Greene once entered a Graham Greene parody contest (under a pseudonym) and managed only third place, so I encourage you all to submit again next time.

And finally to Dogg: win, lose, or draw, thank you for giving us the opportunity to strut our stuff; an author is always grateful for an audience.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    17 Jul '14 20:112 edits
    Originally posted by moonbus
    To those who read our pieces and cast votes (whether for my entry or any other): thank you. You are the literati of RHP.

To my fellow contestants, it is only fair to say that you were up against a published author (if that is any consolation). But despair not, Graham Greene once entered a Graham Greene parody contest (under a pseudonym) and managed only t ...[text shortened]... for giving us the opportunity to strut our stuff; an author is always grateful for an audience.
    Congratulations! Can we see a sample of what you have published? What genre?
  7. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    18 Jul '14 01:20

To my fellow contestants, it is only fair to say that you were up against a published author (if that is any consolation). But despair not, Graham Greene once entered a Graham Greene parody contest (under a pseudonym) and managed only t ...[text shortened]... for giving us the opportunity to strut our stuff; an author is always grateful for an audience.
    Thanks for your courtesy of candor and generosity of class in disclosing "published author" status. I appreciate it.
  8. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    18 Jul '14 06:57
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Congratulations! Can we see a sample of what you have published? What genre?
    Genre: humo(u)r.

I wouldn't want to infringe any forum rules by promoting myself for profit here. But if you send me a private message, I'll reply with a link. My work is available in Kindle format from amazon. I need to know what country you're in, as that determines whether you log in to amazon.co.uk or amazon.com or in OZ wherever.
  9. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    18 Jul '14 07:04
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Thanks for your courtesy of candor and generosity of class in disclosing "published author" status. I appreciate it.
    Not knowing what the other contributors' qualifications were, I thought it might make a difference to them. I hope there are no hard feelings if it wasn't quite a level playing field. With so few contributors, there was no sense in having a 1st and 2d league.
  10. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    19 Jul '14 05:58
    Not knowing what the other contributors' qualifications were, I thought it might make a difference to them. I hope there are no hard feelings if it wasn't quite a level playing field. With so few contributors, there was no sense in having a 1st and 2d league.
    "Published" doesn't necessarily mean "good" IMO. I've seen plenty of published work that was of poor quality, and also some amateur work that told a good story even if the grammar/punctuation was not 100% tidy.
  11. old pueblo
    Moves
    20 Jul '14 01:00
    Congratulations to everyone! Can't wait for the next one!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree