1. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    28 Jan '15 02:22
    http://www.breitbart.com/video/2015/01/27/cbo-director-predicts-unsustainable-debt-heightening-the-risk-of-fiscal-crisis/

By 2025, in our baseline projections, federal debt rises to nearly 79% of GDP. When CBO last issued long-term budget projections in the summer, we projected that, under current law, debt would exceed 100 percent of GDP 25 years from now, and would continue on an upward trajectory thereafter. That trend that could not be sustained.

I guess the government's credit card does have a limit.
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    28 Jan '15 02:33
    Originally posted by Eladar
    http://www.breitbart.com/video/2015/01/27/cbo-director-predicts-unsustainable-debt-heightening-the-risk-of-fiscal-crisis/

[b]By 2025, in our baseline projections, federal debt rises to nearly 79% of GDP. When CBO last issued long-term budget projections in the summer, we projected that, under current law, debt would exceed 100 percent of GDP 25 years from ...[text shortened]... nd that could not be sustained.

I guess the government's credit card does have a limit.[/b]
    Nonsense, the CBO is a well known Tea Party puppet.

Where did you hear this, Fox News? 🙄
  3. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    28 Jan '15 02:53
    Originally posted by Eladar

[b]By 2025, in our baseline projections, federal debt rises to nearly 79% of GDP. When CBO last issued long-term budget projections in the summer, we projected that, under current law, debt would exceed 100 percent of GDP 25 years from ...[text shortened]... nd that could not be sustained.

I guess the government's credit card does have a limit.[/b]
    Cut the military budget in half and tax dividends, capital gains and inheritances like other income.

Goodbye budget deficit + we'd have money left over to improve our infrastructure and thus improve our long run balance sheet.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Jan '15 02:55

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    28 Jan '15 03:21
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Cut the military budget in half and tax dividends, capital gains and inheritances like other income.

Goodbye budget deficit + we'd have money left over to improve our infrastructure and thus improve our long run balance sheet.
    I've got one better, take half of what the 1% make, create a lavish welfare system, round up all the Jewish bankers and take their gold and send them to concentration camps.......wait, this has been done already?

Curses!! 😠
  6. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    28 Jan '15 09:28
    Originally posted by whodey
    I've got one better, take half of what the 1% make, create a lavish welfare system, round up all the Jewish bankers and take their gold and send them to concentration camps.......wait, this has been done already?

Curses!! 😠
    ad hitlerum. slippery slope fallacy.

awesome debater.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Jan '15 10:16
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    ad hitlerum. slippery slope fallacy.

awesome debater.
    yeah it is, why does America produce so many super rich sycophants?
  8. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    28 Jan '15 17:37
    Originally posted by no1marauder

Do it!

Though maybe cut the military by 20% at first instead of 50% to stay on the safe side.

But I have to ask: Is that assertion based on numbers crunching or a general guesstimate/surmise?
  9. Germany
    Moves
    28 Jan '15 18:23
    Originally posted by sh76
    Do it!

Though maybe cut the military by 20% at first instead of 50% to stay on the safe side.

But I have to ask: Is that assertion based on numbers crunching or a general guesstimate/surmise?
    It's not far off. The military budget is about $600 billion, while the deficit in 2014 (which is projected to fall in 2015) was roughly $500 billion.
  10. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    28 Jan '15 19:52
    Do it!

The catch is that there is a considerable industry supplying the military and cutting the military budget harms the defence industry. This isn't a reason not to do it, but does mean that you have to do some careful planning to work out how you're going to replace the jobs lost.
  11. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    28 Jan '15 20:14
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    The catch is that there is a considerable industry supplying the military and cutting the military budget harms the defence industry. This isn't a reason not to do it, but does mean that you have to do some careful planning to work out how you're going to replace the jobs lost.
    Yes, that's always the catch to cutting back government programs.

I'm guessing No1 will tell you that we'll employ more people in the new infrastructure projects than people who will lose jobs based on cuts in defense spending. While such an argument (if made) sounds right, I don't have any way or really knowing one way or the other.
  12. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    28 Jan '15 20:16
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Because religious organizations are non-profits and other non-profits also get tax exempt status. If you cut religious organizations as tax exempt orgs, they'll just reorganize as non-profit social clubs or charities or educational institutions, which also get tax exempt status.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Jan '15 20:26

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

14. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    28 Jan '15 20:43
    Do it!

Back of the envelope number crunching:

Military budget 2015: $756.4 billion - $65.3 billion for the VA = $691.1 billion/2 = $345.5 billion http://useconomy.about.com/od/usfederalbudget/p/military_budget.htm

Cost of capital gains preference: $120 billion per year
    http://crfb.org/blogs/tax-break-down-preferential-rates-capital-gains

Harder to get figures for the other two, but when Obama proposed that dividend income for the two 2% be taxed at ordinary levels, it was supposed to raise $20 billion a year. They have a disproportionate share of dividend income, so lets conservatively double that assuming all dividend income was taxed as ordinary income.

So: $345b + $120b + 40b = $505 billion per year

Federal deficit 2014: $483 billion http://www.forbes.com/sites/stancollender/2014/10/16/stop-and-smell-the-roses-final-2014-federal-deficit-fell-big-time/

That's without even considering taxing inheritances as ordinary income.
  15. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    28 Jan '15 20:45
    Yes, that's always the catch to cutting back government programs.

I'm guessing No1 will tell you that we'll employ more people in the new infrastructure projects than people who will lose jobs based on cuts in defense spending. While such an argument (if made) sounds right, I don't have any way or really knowing one way or the other.
    Righto.

http://www.ciponline.org/research/entry/military-spending-poor-job-creator

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree