1. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    04 Aug '14 09:13
    If one is an atheist is it possible to become a believer?
    Can a believer become an atheist?
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Aug '14 10:041 edit
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    In both cases I know people who say that this is what happened in their lives and I have no reason to disbelieve them.

Most people I know who have become atheists [or who never really internalized the religion they were inculcated with when young] keep pretty quiet about it in general here in Indonesia where acceptance [or understanding] of atheism is still not very widespread.

I also have some friends and acquaintances who converted either from Islam to Christianity or from Christianity to Islam ~ although in some cases, where this was done to make a marriage acceptable to one of the two families involved, the newly professed faith is not really professed very faithfully, if at all.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    04 Aug '14 12:18
    I don't see why not. What's your view?
  4. PenTesting
    Moves
    04 Aug '14 12:351 edit
    Of course to both.
    No beliefs are cast in stone.
    I have seen both happen
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Aug '14 13:181 edit
    If one reads the Biblical record one can see that persons who were formerly Jews, practising homosexuals, pagans, thieves, fishermen, tax collectors, Roman officials, Greeks, drunkards etc etc all changed their beliefs and brought them into harmony with Christian standards, nothing less than a complete metamorphosis occurred.
  6. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    04 Aug '14 13:23
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    If one reads the Biblical record one can see that persons who were formerly Jews, practising homosexuals, pagans, thieves, fishermen, tax collectors, Roman officials, Greeks, drunkards etc etc all changed their beliefs and brought them into harmony with Christian standards, nothing less than a complete metamorphosis occurred.
    Did they stop being homosexuals, fishermen and/or Greeks?
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Aug '14 13:572 edits
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    Did they stop being homosexuals, fishermen and/or Greeks?
    They stopped practising homosexuality for sure and Greeks is a cultural term. Christ's disciples stopped fishing and became fishers of men. The point of course is that a complete spiritual metamorphosis took place.
  8. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    04 Aug '14 14:14
    They stopped practising homosexuality for sure and Greeks is a cultural term. Christ's disciples stopped fishing and became fishers of men. The point of course is that a complete spiritual metamorphosis took place.
    Did they stop having sex?

Whaddaya mean "Greeks is a cultural term"?

Fishing is bad?

Thanks.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Aug '14 14:392 edits
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    Did they stop having sex?

Whaddaya mean "Greeks is a cultural term"?

Fishing is bad?

Thanks.
    What is wrong with you fruitloops? let me try to spell it out for you once AGAIN and see if you can grasp it this time, a complete SPIRITUAL METAMORPHOSIS took place, in the case of fishing, it no longer became the prime pursuit in life, after all, Christ did teach that the heavenly father provided for the birds of the heavens and would do for those exercising faith. They stopped having homosexual sex, how hard can it be to grasp? Thanks??? No problem.
  10. Cape Town
    Moves
    04 Aug '14 14:54
    And the Greeks stopped being Greek, and the Jews stopped being Jews.
    Its funny how the 'pagans' got listed separately.

I am also curious as to where the Bible mentions Homosexuals giving up the practice for Christianity.
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    04 Aug '14 15:01
    Of course.

Humans have free will.

This is why humans have free will.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Aug '14 15:08
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    And the Greeks stopped being Greek, and the Jews stopped being Jews.
    Its funny how the 'pagans' got listed separately.

I am also curious as to where the Bible mentions Homosexuals giving up the practice for Christianity.
    Then perhaps you should do some research then.
  13. Cape Town
    Moves
    04 Aug '14 15:20
    Then perhaps you should do some research then.
    I did, I couldn't find it.
    I have looked again, and think it may be this:
    Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God. And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bible_and_homosexuality
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Aug '14 15:263 edits
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I did, I couldn't find it.
    I have looked again, and think it may be this:
    Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shal ...[text shortened]... the Spirit of our God.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bible_and_homosexuality
    yes that will do, although here is a more modern translation,

Or do you not know that unrighteous people will not inherit God’s Kingdom?Do not be misled. Those who are sexually immoral, idolaters, adulterers, men who submit to homosexual acts, men who practice homosexuality, thieves, greedy people, drunkards, revilers, and extortioners will not inherit God’s Kingdom. And yet that is what some of you were. But you have been washed clean you have been sanctified you have been declared righteous in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and with the spirit of our God.

1 Corinthians 6: 9-10
  15. SubscriberPianoman1
    Nil desperandum
    Seedy piano bar
    Moves
    04 Aug '14 15:31
    Intelligent and rational humans evolve through discussion and we should all have the humility to accept other arguments and beliefs even to the point of admitting that we may have got it wrong.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree