1. e4
    Moves
    22 Nov '13 14:59
    A fighting draw. Magnus Carlsen is the Chess Champion of the World.

2. Wat?
    Moves
    22 Nov '13 15:07
    Yeah, and Magnus blundered on move 30, as much as Anand did with his Qg5 on 28.

However, he manipulated an excellent draw in the last few moves, which was all he ever needed, but he could have gone out in style....

A well deserved winner!
  3. Standard memberivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    Moves
    22 Nov '13 15:411 edit
    How often has it happened that the title holder lost his match without scoring a single victory ? I felt kinda bad watching the press conferences after each match - Anand was unable to hide his dissapointment. Amazing players, both of them, but the youngster just seems to be out of this world.
  4. Georgia, USA
    Moves
    22 Nov '13 16:18
    My takeaway is that Anand is a class act.

But Magnus certainly deserves to be champion.

I hope Anand can regroup and have another run at it in a couple years. If not, it was a good run nonetheless!
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    22 Nov '13 17:372 edits
    Originally posted by FastEddieB
    My takeaway is that Anand is a class act.

But Magnus certainly deserves to be champion.

I hope Anand can regroup and have another run at it in a couple years. If not, it was a good run nonetheless!
    Everyone comes to the end of their career, like Roger Federer, 32 years old and at the end of his top end competing days, now just one of the big boys, no longer dominant.

And Vishy, what, 44 years old, twice MC's age. This is not to say age is a barrier to top levels of chess, look at Korchnoi, but his WC contender days are over a long time. I wonder how old Lasker was when he finally lost? He held it for 27 years! That has to be the record.

So the next question to be answered in the future is how long will WC hang on to the WC title? Aronian next, MC keeps it?
  6. Planet Earth , Mwy
    Moves
    22 Nov '13 18:01
    Another example of the need to restore 24 game world championships Anand needing to risk what needed to be risked regardless of the potential consequences which should have been a won game for Carlsen after move 28, and Carlsen not needing to hold on tight to his winning position with an extra pawn. Had game 10 been game nine we can all be quite sure that Carlsen would not have returned the extra pawn as there was no reason to do so . When you are just a half point from victory why risk that which does not need to be risked when you have a choice!? RCV
  7. Standard membersundown316
    The Mighty Messenger
    The Wood of N'Kai
    Moves
    22 Nov '13 18:20
    Originally posted by ivan2908
    How often has it happened that the title holder lost his match without scoring a single victory ? I felt kinda bad watching the press conferences after each match - Anand was unable to hide his dissapointment. Amazing players, both of them, but the youngster just seems to be out of this world.
    Last time the title holder got shut out was Lasker losing 4-0 to Capablanca in 1921. It was for the first 6 wins,but Lasker knew he was hopelessly behind and chose not to delay the inevitable.
  8. Donationketchuplover
    Isolated Pawn
    Wisconsin USA
    Moves
    22 Nov '13 20:41
    Magnus only has to win or draw his next 27 championship games to surpass Karpov's record.
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    22 Nov '13 23:06
    Originally posted by ketchuplover
    Magnus only has to win or draw his next 27 championship games to surpass Karpov's record.
    What was K's record?
  10. Joined
    12 Nov '06
    Moves
    23 Nov '13 01:011 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    What was K's record?
  11. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    23 Nov '13 08:33
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I wonder how old Lasker was when he finally lost? He held it for 27 years! That has to be the record.

So the next question to be answered in the future is how long will WC hang on to the WC title? Aronian next, MC keeps it?
    Lasker held on a good deal longer even after he surrendered the title to Capablanca in 1921. He won the great New York tournament outright in 1924, 1 1/2 points ahead of Capablanca (2d) and an incredible 4 points ahead of Alehkine (3d). His last great success was at Moscow in 1934 where he took 3d place, half a point behind Botvinnik and Flohr (tied 1st & 2d), ahead of Capablanca again. He was 67 at the time.

Congratulations are in order to Carlsen; it was a worthy contest. Enjoy the view from the summit while you can, young man, 'cuz when you're at the top there is nowhere else to go but down, and everyone else is gunning for your spot !
  12. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    23 Nov '13 16:58
    Originally posted by moonbus
    Lasker held on a good deal longer even after he surrendered the title to Capablanca in 1921. He won the great New York tournament outright in 1924, 1 1/2 points ahead of Capablanca (2d) and an incredible 4 points ahead of Alehkine (3d). His last great success was at Moscow in 1934 where he took 3d place, half a point behind Botvinnik and Flohr (tied 1st & 2d ...[text shortened]... re at the top there is nowhere else to go but down, and everyone else is gunning for your spot !
    What was the final score of the 10 matches?
  13. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    23 Nov '13 18:14
    Originally posted by sundown316
    Last time the title holder got shut out was Lasker losing 4-0 to Capablanca in 1921. It was for the first 6 wins,but Lasker knew he was hopelessly behind and chose not to delay the inevitable.
    Wrong for two reasons:

1) Kramink vs Kasparov, 2000, Kasparov lost 2 and failed to win any: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classical_World_Chess_Championship_2000

2) Rather confusingly, Lasker was actually the challenger when he lost the world title match to Capablanca in 1921. This is because Lasker resigned the title in favour of Capablanca in 1920.
  14. e4
    Moves
    24 Nov '13 04:32
    Hi Fat Lady,

I think we can forgive sundown for forgetting about the 2000 match.
    I think we have all banished it from our minds.

I'm sure you are right about Lasker retring the World Title. Soltis reckons
    once Lakser was free from the burden of the world title he found a
    new zest for the game.
    The match only took place because Lasker needed the money and the
    fans wanted blood

Money was in short supply for chess matches just after WWI.
    In 1918 Lasker won a strong tournament in Germany ahead of Rubinstein
    and Tarrasch, His prize? 1,000 cigarettes!

The biggest score in a World title match must be Lasker shutting Marshall out in 1907. 8-0 with 7 draws.
    Which reminds me, I've often promised myself to one day look at these 7 draws.
    I never have. Both players were crafty fighters, I bet there are things in there
    that have never seen the light of day because they were draws.

Spotted so unsprung Lasker and Marshall tricks, traps and pitfalls.
    Both players left behind a truly magnificent batch of unheard melodies,
    I'd be surprised if there were not a few unplayed gems tucked away in those draws.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Nov '13 05:24
    what can we say about Carlsens style of play? play like a computer until your opponent does something human!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree