1. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    21 Dec '13 16:37
    Churches and Cities working together?

For The Last 3 years or so about that long. The City of Fresno came to the local Churches to each get a park to take care of and clean because the city has no money to clean them. So my church that I attend got one. We clean it up and play games, help with home work, and share the love of Jesus with them. And we always invite the community when it is around all the holidays.

What are your thoughts?
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    21 Dec '13 16:46
    Originally posted by RBHILL

For The Last 3 years or so about that long. The City of Fresno came to the local Churches to each get a park to take care of and clean because the city has no money to clean them. So my church that I attend got one. We clean it up and play games, help with home work, and share the love of Jesus with them. And we always invite the community when it is around all the holidays.

What are your thoughts?
    Those who are religious, i.e. those who attend a religious service about every week, are much more likely to give their time and money to those in need according to a University of Stanford study.

http://www.hoover.org/publications/policy-review/article/6577
  3. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    21 Dec '13 16:56

What are your thoughts?
    Not a bad idea. I doubt this will work for every park, but I'd wager it would work for many of them. Community involvment is a good idea.
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    21 Dec '13 17:04
    Originally posted by bill718
    Not a bad idea. I doubt this will work for every park, but I'd wager it would work for many of them. Community involvment is a good idea.
    But I thought that religion is the source of all our ills. Are you suggesting otherwise Bill?
  5. Joined
    13 Mar '07
    Moves
    21 Dec '13 17:501 edit
    Originally posted by bill718
    If the church is seen to perform actions of social utility this is likely to make its doctrines overall appear more credible to many people. So whether the (in themselves admirable) actions of the Fresno church are desirable overall may depend on how you feel about Christianity playing a greater role in politics.

In many Muslim-majority countries, the growth in fundamentalist sentiment has in part been a response to the viciousness of the state or its inability to fulfill its expected functions.
  6. Germany
    Moves
    21 Dec '13 18:09

What are your thoughts?
    It's better than praying to God to get parks cleaned up.
  7. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    21 Dec '13 18:28
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    It's better than praying to God to get parks cleaned up.
    Well I am sure they pray well their there.
  8. Standard membersasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    Walking the earth.
    Moves
    21 Dec '13 22:57

What are your thoughts?
    My thoughts are, you improved your community. Congratulations, and thank you on behalf of the people who live in that neighborhood. You did noble work.

Your church has set a fine example for your community.
  9. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    22 Dec '13 00:15

What are your thoughts?
    My thought is that pride goeth before the fall.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Dec '13 00:191 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

11. Joined
    13 Mar '07
    Moves
    23 Dec '13 09:021 edit
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    That objection is of course inhumane. Maybe the same Westerners should think about sending aid to the same Muslim societies in order to provide an alternative source of those services through secular channels.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Dec '13 16:431 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree