Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
www.redhotpawn.com - Play Online Chess

Forgot it?

Announcements Forum

Clan league 3 Day Timeout Season 11

Original post by Subscriber Russ, 01 Jun '12 16:58
  1. RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Joined : 21 Feb '01
    Moves : 1408
    The new season will be starting on Tuesday 12th June 2012.

    Please enter your teams well in advance of this date if you would like your clan to compete.

    Clan league 2

    Please note, the division size will be modified for this new season.

    The division size will be set to 6 teams.

    Additional leagues requiring only teams of 4 will be trialed soon after this date.
  2. CerebrallyChallenged
    Lyme BayChesil Beach
    Joined : 09 Dec '06
    Moves : 17848
    Originally posted by Russ
    The new season will be starting on [b]Tuesday 12th June 2012.

    Please enter your teams well in advance of this date if you would like your clan to compete.

    Clan league 2

    Please note, the division size will be modified for this new season.

    The division size will be set to 6 teams.

    Additional leagues requiring only teams of 4 will be trialed soon after this date.[/b]
    Excellent, I think we all must thank you chaps for looking into the league 'situation' so swiftly...and certainly 'trials' sound like the way to go !!
  3. Subscriber tng
    Joined : 17 Feb '05
    Moves : 44391
    Originally posted by Russ
    The new season will be starting on [b]Tuesday 12th June 2012.

    Please enter your teams well in advance of this date if you would like your clan to compete.

    Clan league 2

    Please note, the division size will be modified for this new season.

    The division size will be set to 6 teams.

    Additional leagues requiring only teams of 4 will be trialed soon after this date.[/b]
    well done
  4. Joined : 25 Oct '09
    Moves : 15225
    Originally posted by RevRSleeker
    Excellent, I think we all must thank you chaps for looking into the league 'situation' so swiftly...and certainly 'trials' sound like the way to go !!
    Yes, Thanks Russ for your 'customer focused attitude'. And Dean for your efforts as an influencer.
  5. semper fi
    Joined : 02 Oct '03
    Moves : 112520
    Originally posted by Arnoud
    Yes, Thanks Russ for your 'customer focused attitude'. And Dean for your efforts as an influencer.
    If he was so "customer focused" he would get rid of the obvious cheats that have already been exposed for what they are instead of collecting a paycheck from them. Integrity always makes customers happy.
  6. Joined : 25 Oct '09
    Moves : 15225
    Originally posted by usmc7257
    If he was so "customer focused" he would get rid of the obvious cheats that have already been exposed for what they are instead of collecting a paycheck from them. Integrity always makes customers happy.
    If it only were that easy. You cannot simply kick a paying customer because someone has accused them of 'obvious cheating'. What is the legal basis for that?
  7. Dumnonii
    Somewhere special
    Joined : 02 Feb '07
    Moves : 46373
    Originally posted by Arnoud
    If it only were that easy. You cannot simply kick a paying customer because someone has accused them of 'obvious cheating'. What is the legal basis for that?
    Blatant cheats can be flushed out using a 20 game batch analysis and looking at the resulting engine matchup rates. The technique was created here and is now what is used over a chess.com, currently this site has no anti cheating measures.
  8. Joined : 25 Oct '09
    Moves : 15225
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    Blatant cheats can be flushed out using a 20 game batch analysis and looking at the resulting engine matchup rates. The technique was created here and is now what is used over a chess.com, currently this site has no anti cheating measures.
    Interesting approach, but what would the norm, the divide be? Obviously the matchup rate would be higher for stronger players and lower for weaker ones. I agree a 100% rate is a sign of blatant cheating
  9. Dumnonii
    Somewhere special
    Joined : 02 Feb '07
    Moves : 46373
    Originally posted by Arnoud
    Interesting approach, but what would the norm, the divide be? Obviously the matchup rate would be higher for stronger players and lower for weaker ones. I agree a 100% rate is a sign of blatant cheating
    There has been considerable analysis of World Championship finals, OTB GM's and CC World Championship finals (pre engines) and the evidence shows that there is a limit as to how much humans match up against chess engines.

    A few weeks ago i posted engine analysis of Duncan Suttles games at a CC tournament in the late 70's. Duncan Suttles is one of only 11 people in the history of the game to be awarded a GM title at both forms of the game, OTB and CC. Incidentally in that tournament he played 20 or so games over a three year period. He didn't cross the percentage thresholds. So the question is, if all world champions, OTB GM's and the best CC players don't cross the percentage thresholds, why are people dong so on this site?
  10. Joined : 25 Oct '09
    Moves : 15225
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    There has been considerable analysis of World Championship finals, OTB GM's and CC World Championship finals (pre engines) and the evidence shows that there is a limit as to how much humans match up against chess engines.

    A few weeks ago i posted engine analysis of Duncan Suttles games at a CC tournament in the late 70's. Duncan Suttles is one of onl ...[text shortened]... best CC players don't cross the percentage thresholds, why are people dong so on this site?
    OK, good point. Thanks for explaining.
  11. Joined : 17 Mar '10
    Moves : 248976
    Hey Russ. How about having a few seasons of same timeout starting annually?
    It seems a little slow to still be on season 4 of the 14 day timeouts when u consider its been 10 years of RHP. The whole season is waiting for a few games to complete. And may be a long wait yet. I mean if u had to open a next season registration for any of the timeout levels tomoro, it will fill up I'm sure. Especially as many of the teams are already finished their league but now wait for the slow pokes. just a thought.
  12. Joined : 25 Oct '09
    Moves : 15225
    Originally posted by Costad
    Hey Russ. How about having a few seasons of same timeout starting annually?
    It seems a little slow to still be on season 4 of the 14 day timeouts when u consider its been 10 years of RHP. The whole season is waiting for a few games to complete. And may be a long wait yet. I mean if u had to open a next season registration for any of the timeout levels tomoro ...[text shortened]... the teams are already finished their league but now wait for the slow pokes. just a thought.
    Good point!
  13. Joined : 18 Mar '08
    Moves : 25817
    Originally posted by Costad
    Hey Russ. How about having a few seasons of same timeout starting annually?
    It seems a little slow to still be on season 4 of the 14 day timeouts when u consider its been 10 years of RHP. The whole season is waiting for a few games to complete. And may be a long wait yet. I mean if u had to open a next season registration for any of the timeout levels tomoro ...[text shortened]... the teams are already finished their league but now wait for the slow pokes. just a thought.
    - Well the system is principally about promotion and relegation, so a new season should always wait for those spots to be determined. Thing is the new season could effectively start when all is cleared out, and there shouldn't be months waiting over the odd lingering game.

    - The idea of parallel leagues cycles with different team size can also remedy this point.
  14. Joined : 17 Mar '10
    Moves : 248976
    Originally posted by BartVH
    - Well the system is principally about promotion and relegation, so a new season should always wait for those spots to be determined. Thing is the new season could effectively start when all is cleared out, and there shouldn't be months waiting over the odd lingering game.

    - The idea of parallel leagues cycles with different team size can also remedy this point.
    yes that is true, but unfortunately we don't have a fixed set of entries in each season.
    For example, in one of 3 consecutive seasons, I noticed a team in the top division being relegated in each season, yet still being in the top division as non relegated sides just pulled out from the next season. So you wait and wait and wait to see who will get relegated and then those relegated sides don't get relegated
    In the mean time many of us wait and wait to get started.
    But for now i am glad about the new 4 team leagues coming as I will get to try enter all 4.
    Only side problem is: when the new 14 day league starts, how long will a new member to the site have to wait before they can enter a 14 day league?
Back to Top