1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Mar '14 01:05
    JS357 on a recent thread: "...Opinion-confirming selectivity in sources of information seems to have exploded in the internet and multimedia age. Confirmation bias, I think it's called."

In matters relating to the human spirit, supernaturalism, religious beliefs or the absence of such beliefs, what steps do posters here actively take to avoid or counteract confirmation bias, if any?
  2. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    30 Mar '14 03:371 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    JS357 on a recent thread: "...Opinion-confirming selectivity in sources of information seems to have exploded in the internet and multimedia age. Confirmation bias, I think it's called."

In matters relating to the human spirit, supernaturalism, religious beliefs or the absence of such beliefs, what steps do posters here actively take to avoid or counteract confirmation bias, if any?
    I haven’t got a simplified process, but I take seriously Nietzsche’s dictum that the willingness to mount an attack on one’s own beliefs is far more important (for personal, intellectual integrity) than the conviction of one’s beliefs. And this needs to be done often - lest one settle into complacency (e.g., perhaps assuming that one’s last previous challenge could not have led to yet another error). Such an allegiance (to the idea of periodically challenging - as ruthlessly, honestly and logically as possible - one’s own prior convictions) likely will threaten any counter-allegiance to the hobgoblin of consistency, which sometimes seems able to pass itself off as integrity - perhaps because of a tendency to conflate the two.

I hope you are well.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Mar '14 04:05
    Originally posted by vistesd
    [...] the hobgoblin of consistency, which sometimes seems able to pass itself off as integrity - perhaps because of a tendency to conflate the two.
    Sometimes we lift up our pans from the babbling brook here and find nuggets of gold like this observation of yours.
  4. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    30 Mar '14 04:37
    Originally posted by FMF
    Sometimes we lift up our pans from the babbling brook here and find nuggets of gold like this observation of yours.
    I've always adhered to (what I consider to be) the mantra of all self-inspecting folks, from Bugs Bunny:

"Eh... what's up, doc?"

If you can't answer this question, why are you even alive?
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Mar '14 04:54
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    I've always adhered to (what I consider to be) the mantra of all self-inspecting folks, from Bugs Bunny:

"Eh... what's up, doc?"

I think this topic deserves better from you than this bit of bumper stickerism.

Do you take any steps to avoid or counteract confirmation bias when you engage information pertaining to your beliefs?
  6. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    30 Mar '14 05:02
    Originally posted by FMF
    I think this topic deserves better from you than this bit of bumper stickerism.

Do you take any steps to avoid or counteract confirmation bias when you engage information pertaining to your beliefs?
    Perhaps the irony was a tad too much.
    When Bugs is asking his foil, he is, in essence, asking his counterpart to honestly tell Bugs the one thing he really doesn't want to reveal: namely, what he is up to.
    So I am constantly asking myself, "what's up," in an attempt to get to the core of my motives.

Sorry I couldn't be much deeper than that...
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Mar '14 05:15
    [...] I am constantly asking myself, "what's up," in an attempt to get to the core of my motives.
    The thread is about "sources of information [that seem] to have exploded in the internet and multimedia age" and tackling confirmation bias in that (relatively) new environment.
  8. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    30 Mar '14 05:22
    Originally posted by FMF

Check more than one source.
    Check some of the sources that don't agree with your position.
    Test your position on forums like this one, assuming you can get someone to engage the issue. Hopefully you will get someone on the other side who is a fairly good critical thinker. That's the ultimate test.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Mar '14 09:42

"Eh... what's up, doc?"

A Buggs bunny quotation in spirituality, inspired!
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Mar '14 10:061 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    A Buggs bunny quotation in spirituality, inspired!
    Actually, it came across as a dodge.

Constantly asking oneself, "what's up?" in an attempt to get to the core of one's motives, of course, has nothing to do with steps to avoid 'confirmation bias' mentioned in the OP. "Oneself" is not a "source" one can consult in any effort to counteract confirmation bias. Indeed, consulting "oneself" provides the essential foundation for confirmation bias. It is the ultimate in "opinion-confirming selectivity", as JS357 put it.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Mar '14 10:15
    Originally posted by FMF
    Actually, it came across as a dodge.

Constantly asking oneself, "what's up?" in an attempt to get to the core of one's motives, of course, has nothing to do with steps to avoid 'confirmation bias' mentioned in the OP. "Oneself" is not a "source" one can consult to in any effort to counteract confirmation bias. Indeed, consulting "oneself" provides the essent ...[text shortened]... for confirmation bias. It is the ultimate in "opinion-confirming selectivity", as JS357 put it.
    Other buggs bunny references sometimes alluded to in spirituality include the famous duck season! rabbit season!
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Mar '14 10:17
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Other buggs bunny references sometimes alluded to in spirituality include the famous duck season! rabbit season!
    What steps do you take to avoid confirmation bias?
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    30 Mar '14 10:181 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    [b]JS357 on a recent thread: "...Opinion-confirming selectivity in sources of information seems to have exploded in the internet and multimedia age. Confirmation bias, I think it's called."

In matters relating to the human spirit, supernaturalism, religious beliefs or the absence of such beliefs, what steps do posters here actively take to avoid or counteract co ...[text shortened]... nslation of the Hebrew for Genesis 2:9 tree of lives[plural] verses tree of life - which I prefer.
    For the sake of finding out the truth as best we can, I voluntarily indicate a different opinion about a matter than my own - sometimes "preemptively".

Sometimes I feel not to wait just to have someone write "But you didn't notice this view."
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Mar '14 10:21
    Originally posted by sonship
    For the sake of finding out the truth as best we can, I voluntarily indicate a different opinion about a matter than my own - sometimes "preemptively".

Sometimes I feel not to wait just to have someone write "But you didn't notice this view."
    You have missed the point. The question is, how do you avoid "opinion-confirming selectivity" regarding the sources of information you draw upon?
  15. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    30 Mar '14 10:22
    Originally posted by FMF
    You have missed the point. The question is, how do you avoid "opinion-confirming selectivity" regarding the sources of information you draw upon?
    Oh well.

I refered to another source with a view contrary to my view.
    How I missed the point, I don't understand.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree