1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    31 Mar '14 01:48
    I have several friends and acquaintances who have converted from Islam to Christianity or the other way round, sometimes ~ but not always ~ because of marriage and/or competing family pressures. Does anyone here have any experiences of having relatives or friends who converted to a different religion? [So I am not talking about people 'losing faith', I am talking about adopting a different faith.]

Did it have any impact on, for example, relationships between you and the people involved, the families involved etc.?
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    31 Mar '14 07:05
    I know several people who changed denomination to that of their husbands upon marriage - or at least went to that denominations Church on Sundays.
    I know of only one instance of a woman converting to Islam upon marriage to a Muslim doctor but I do not know them well.
    A large proportion of people are religious for purely social reasons.
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    31 Mar '14 12:35
    Originally posted by FMF
    I have several friends and acquaintances who have converted from Islam to Christianity or the other way round, sometimes ~ but not always ~ because of marriage and/or competing family pressures. Does anyone here have any experiences of having relatives or friends who converted to a different religion? [So I am not talking about people 'losing faith', I am talkin ...[text shortened]... on, for example, relationships between you and the people involved, the families involved etc.?
    I have an adult child who surprised me by getting involved pretty deeply with a religion or two not at all as I raised that child.

However, that child always had a penchant for picking up things and latter dropping them. This person is very willing to be interested in many many things.

It has had some difficult strains on our relationship at times. But I sympathize with the seeking heart and accept it.

This person is born again, I believe. And for that reason this person will always be an eternally justified and saved person.

Since I myself spent about a decade as a "lost sheep" wandering from the Good Shepherd and from the flock, I have understanding and hope that there will be a return to the truth in a clear way.

And that is all I am going to divulge at this time.
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    01 Apr '14 01:33
    Originally posted by sonship
    I have an adult child who surprised me by getting involved pretty deeply with a religion or two not at all as I raised that child.

However, that child always had a penchant for picking up things and latter dropping them. This person is very willing to be interested in many many things.

It has had some difficult strains on our relationship at times. ...[text shortened]... be a return to the truth in a clear way.

And that is all I am going to divulge at this time.
    Has he become a YEC?
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Apr '14 15:17
    Originally posted by FMF
    I have several friends and acquaintances who have converted from Islam to Christianity or the other way round, sometimes ~ but not always ~ because of marriage and/or competing family pressures. Does anyone here have any experiences of having relatives or friends who converted to a different religion? [So I am not talking about people 'losing faith', I am talkin ...[text shortened]... on, for example, relationships between you and the people involved, the families involved etc.?
    My mother-in law was christend C of E but did not embrace the faith she eventually married a catholic and converted and from that day she never misses mass is a true believer even after her husband passed over they had 3 children but only one follows the faith.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Apr '14 00:40
    I wasn't living in Britain at the time but someone told me that Tony Blair became Roman Catholic [and therefore the same as his wife] while he was in office.
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Apr '14 12:27
    Originally posted by FMF
    I wasn't living in Britain at the time but someone told me that Tony Blair became Roman Catholic [and therefore the same as his wife] while he was in office.
    when he left office I think
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    03 Apr '14 16:36
    Originally posted by FMF
    Frankly, I would rather not get married if it meant renouncing my faith.

(Yes, I know what you said. Regardless, I would view converting to any other faith as renouncing my faith. And that's not going to happen. Period.)

To directly answer your original question, though, no, I do not have any experience of having relatives or friends who converted to a different religion. No one I know (personally) has done this.
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    03 Apr '14 16:50
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Frankly, I would rather not get married if it meant renouncing my faith.

(Yes, I know what you said. Regardless, I would view converting to any other faith as renouncing my faith. And that's not going to happen. Period.)

To directly answer your original question, though, no, I do not have any experience of having relatives or friends who converted to a different religion. No one I know (personally) has done this.
    It all depends on what is important to you. For example, if your "faith" is just going to church and a few Christian friends, then giving it up for another type of church and other friends is not such a big deal. However, if you have a great love for the teachings of Christ and have a personal relationship with him then giving that up would seem incomprehensible.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Apr '14 20:18
    Originally posted by whodey
    However, if you have a great love for the teachings of Christ and have a personal relationship with him then giving that up would seem incomprehensible.
    And of course the same goes for strength of belief in Islamic teachings in people I have known here. I have seen some "mixed" couples go through years of loving each other while battling this issue ~ being unable to give up their religion, often with intense family pressures bearing down upon them ~ and then not getting married because of it. There are others who do not allow a relationship to develop because they are aware of this issue at the outset.
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    03 Apr '14 22:12
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Has he become a YEC?
    Neither one of my adult children, as far as I know, believe the universe is only 6,000 years old.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree