Moves
    08 Nov '14 16:521 edit
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    m.youtube.com/watch?v=9FGv9aOCcyU

9:49
    Either:

God had a sufficient moral reason for issuing those commands,

or,

God did not issue those commands and the Bible is wrong about that.

I expect people will choose the alternative that rocks their boat the least. (Edit: Which may be: ignoring the issue.)

http://spot.colorado.edu/~morristo/DidGodCommandGenocide.pdf
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    08 Nov '14 17:142 edits
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    m.youtube.com/watch?v=9FGv9aOCcyU

9:49
    I swear, if one more person posts a mobile link... arrrgh...

Anyways, I just KNEW this had to be about Joshua and the Canaanites. The fact is that the Canaanites worshipped FALSE GODS. God knew He couldn't have His people settling in among people worshipping false gods and not have His people tainted by these people. As it was, the Hebrews paid the price for disobeying God, and they DID settle in Canaan without dispensing of the taint of the false gods and generations later, their iniquity led them to disobey God again and the Hebrews were taken away to Babylon. It would have been better for them if they had done what God told them to do. Yes, in short, God had a sufficient moral reason for issuing those commands.

Of course it is EASY for atheists to sit back and claim this was "genocide" because they do not believe in ANY god, much less false gods. For this reason alone, their opinion that this was "genocide" can be tossed out as totally unauthorative.
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    08 Nov '14 17:23
    Originally posted by JS357
    This paper is ridiculous. He seems to be taking the easy road in saying "God didn't really say this". This is gutless and faithless in the extreme.
  5. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    08 Nov '14 17:301 edit
    Originally posted by Suzianne

Anyways, I just KNEW this had to be about Joshua and the Canaanites. The fact is that the Canaanites worshipped FALSE GODS. God knew He couldn't have His people settling in among people worshipping false gods and not have His people tainted by these people. As it was, the Hebrews paid the ...[text shortened]... reason alone, their opinion that this was "genocide" can be tossed out as totally unauthorative.
    Obviously you can just do YouTube without the m or even the 3 www. and the webpage will still come up! I don't not own a computer so don't judge 😉
  6. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    08 Nov '14 17:40
    Originally posted by JS357
    Either:

God had a sufficient moral reason for issuing those commands,

or,

God did not issue those commands and the Bible is wrong about that.

I expect people will choose the alternative that rocks their boat the least. (Edit: Which may be: ignoring the issue.)

I already read the first page so far.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    08 Nov '14 17:42
    This paper is ridiculous. He seems to be taking the easy road in saying "God didn't really say this". This is gutless and faithless in the extreme.
    Why does your god confine itself to just the middle east? If it was a god worth its salt, it could just as easily spoken to the entire human race in their various languages. If your god is THE true god, there would have been thousands of times more false gods outside Jerusalem and such. So why would your god have confined itself to just that region when there was all of Europe, the America's which by that time was fully populated from north to south and Siberia and Madagascar and the Australian aborigines. Why was there no such thrust in those places?

Could it be because the whole story was just made up by men intent on starting a new religion and were quite creative enough to come up with pithy saying all on their own.

That goes a lot to explain why there was no such movement in Australia or Siberia or Europe or the America's.
  8. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Shoot the Squatters?
    tinyurl.com/43m7k8bw
    Moves
    08 Nov '14 17:50
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Why does your god confine itself to just the middle east? If it was a god worth its salt, it could just as easily spoken to the entire human race in their various languages. If your god is THE true god, there would have been thousands of times more false gods outside Jerusalem and such. So why would your god have confined itself to just that region when the ...[text shortened]... ot to explain why there was no such movement in Australia or Siberia or Europe or the America's.
    Umm Christianity...
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    08 Nov '14 17:52
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Umm Christianity...
    ?
  10. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    08 Nov '14 17:541 edit

Anyways, I just KNEW this had to be about Joshua and the Canaanites. The fact is that the Canaanites worshipped FALSE GODS. God knew He couldn't have His people settling in among people worshipping false gods and not have His people tainted by these people. As it was, the Hebrews paid the ...[text shortened]... reason alone, their opinion that this was "genocide" can be tossed out as totally unauthorative.
    And you're a "moderate" Christian eh!? ;]
  11. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Shoot the Squatters?
    tinyurl.com/43m7k8bw
    Moves
    08 Nov '14 18:02
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    ?
    That god DID expand out and defeat all the other pagan gods. Bibles are written in all languages.
  12. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    08 Nov '14 18:252 edits
    That god DID expand out and defeat all the other pagan gods. Bibles are written in all languages.
    Clearly not the work of a god, but men with crosses and weapons (whatever worked best) saying they're doing the work of a god. This god itself never spoke directly but to a few men in the middle east, of a people who had exactly zero scientific knowledge, at a point in time when superstitious arguments were naturally considered, and critical thought was in principle non-existent.

I have another theory as to why christianity has spread all over the world. It's spelled: an aggressive form of proselytising using politics, fear mongering and, if needed, various forms of suppressive violence.
  13. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    08 Nov '14 18:34

genocide is genocide regardless of who did it and why.
  14. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Shoot the Squatters?
    tinyurl.com/43m7k8bw
    Moves
    08 Nov '14 18:49
    Originally posted by C Hess
    Clearly not the work of a god, but men with crosses and weapons (whatever worked best) saying they're doing the work of a god. This god itself never spoke directly but to a few men in the middle east, of a people who had exactly zero scientific knowledge, at a point in time when superstitious arguments were naturally considered, and critical thought wa ...[text shortened]... selytising using politics, fear mongering and, if needed, various forms of suppressive violence.
    That's how gods work.
  15. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    08 Nov '14 18:52
    That's how gods work.
    LOL! Why I'm an atheist.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree