1. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    12 Oct '14 03:45
    http://www.biblestudytools.com/job/26-7-compare.html

Say what? The earth is simply suspended in space? Not resting on anything and hanging from nothing... how is that possible?

a lucky guess?

😉
  2. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    12 Oct '14 05:49
    Originally posted by lemon lime

Say what? The earth is simply suspended in space? Not resting on anything and hanging from nothing... how is that possible?

a lucky guess?

😉
    "He stretches the north over chaos and suspends the earth on nothing"

To say the Earth is "suspended" is nonsense.

And if you were to give any credence to the sentence it would mean describing Gravity and Newton's Laws of Motion as "nothing".
  3. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    12 Oct '14 05:511 edit

a lucky guess?

😉
    A pretty good first approximation. Think about how weird gravity really is. Hadda take a while to realize the global (😉) implications.
  4. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    12 Oct '14 08:591 edit
    Originally posted by wolfgang59

And if you were to give any credence to the sentence it would mean describing Gravity and Newton's Laws of Motion as "nothing".
    Job 26:7

I've read this short passage many times, and have looked at it from the perspective of several different translations. The most literal* of those translations clearly paint a picture of the earth as being neither suspended from anything or resting on anything. If you've ever seen a picture of the earth from outer space, you won't see the earth resting on anything or being suspended from anything... it appears to be simply floating effortlessly in a void.

*I avoid relying on paraphrased versions, and other versions that attempt to interpret meanings rather than strictly sticking to a literal translation. The ESV, NASV, NIV and NKJV do a fairly decent job of sticking to a literal translation.
  5. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    12 Oct '14 09:11
    Originally posted by JS357
    A pretty good first approximation. Think about how weird gravity really is. Hadda take a while to realize the global (😉) implications.
    I'm not sure how you and wolfie were able to read anything about gravity into that, because I don't see anything in that short verse that refers to gravity. I'm fairly certain people back then were aware that something was holding them down, and they were able to observe that they weren't all simply floating around. People back then were pretty sharp about things like that...

"Hey Fred, have you ever noticed that we're not all floating around in the air... weird, huh?"
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    12 Oct '14 14:251 edit

How would you explain it that makes sense to you? What is gravity?
  7. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    12 Oct '14 16:41

a lucky guess?

😉
    "...suspended in space?"

Actually, Earth is continuously falling.

Consider a satellite in stable orbit around the earth.

It is under gravitational attraction and is free to fall, but its lateral velocity is set so it keeps "missing" the earth by the same amount, say, 100 miles. The Moon is doing the same thing.

And we are a satellite of the Sun. We are doing the same thing. So the Bible should say the Earth is falling.

That's why, to return the satellite to earth, its lateral velocity is reduced.
  8. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    12 Oct '14 16:52

"Suspension" doesn't have to mean hanging, as in hung on something, or hanging on something.

Just simply suspended. That suspension can be maintained by whatever laws that be that keeps the earth suspended in its place. If you weren't so biased you would see that the words "suspends the earth on nothing" is exactly what you're saying and is perfectly true.

Do you see the earth suspended on anything? I don't!

Bias is probably the atheists worst problem when it comes to thinking outside the box of all their preconceived ideas, which they didn't think of for themselves, but instead heard about or read about from some other...
  9. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    12 Oct '14 17:161 edit
    Originally posted by josephw
    "Suspension" doesn't have to mean hanging, as in hung on something, or hanging on something.

Just simply suspended. That suspension can be maintained by whatever laws that be that keeps the earth suspended in its place. If you weren't so biased you would see that the words "suspends the earth on nothing" is exactly what you're saying and is perfectly true ...[text shortened]... ch they didn't think of for themselves, but instead heard about or read about from some other...
    What about my "falling" idea? Is that unbiblical?
  10. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    12 Oct '14 18:411 edit

Just simply suspended. That suspension can be maintained by whatever laws that be that keeps the earth suspended in its place. If you weren't so biased you would see that the words "suspends the earth on nothing" is exactly what you're saying and is perfectly true ...[text shortened]... ch they didn't think of for themselves, but instead heard about or read about from some other...
    You and other fundamentalists cretins talking about thinking outside the box, and thinking for ourselves is patently ridiculous!

josephw: hmm...I wonder how birds stay in the sky!? 😕
    pastor: goddidit!
    josephw: Whoah thanks pastor, I now know everything about aviation!!! 🙂

josephw: hmm...I wonder what forces water downwards!? 😕
    josephw: Whoah thanks pastor, I now know everything about fluid mechanics!!! 🙂

josephw: hmm...I wonder how the human body works? 😕
    josephw: Whoah thanks pastor, I now know everything about biology!!! 🙂

... and so on ... 😵
  11. Cape Town
    Moves
    12 Oct '14 18:48
    So basically the verse is so vague it could mean just about anything.
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    12 Oct '14 21:13
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    So basically the verse is so vague it could mean just about anything.
    Like, it could be suspended in time.
  13. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    12 Oct '14 21:34

a lucky guess?

😉
    the earth isnt suspended on nothing. the bible is wrong.
  14. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    12 Oct '14 22:56
    If you've ever seen a picture of the earth from outer space, you won't see the earth resting on anything or being suspended from anything... it appears to be simply floating effortlessly in a void.

"Appears to be" ... I thought the bible was about truth and
    not what "appears to be". You cant honestly claim Job
    as a scientific truth spouting this nonsense.
  15. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    12 Oct '14 22:58
    "Hey Fred, have you ever noticed that we're not all floating around in the air... weird, huh?"
    Why would ancient thinkers think that?
    It is counter intuitive.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree