1. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    11 Apr '14 00:504 edits
    A forums buddy PM'd me about my recent absence form this forum. I mentioned that the topics seem to be repeating themselves.

I wonder why. Maybe it's because many of the threads are like people puzzling over the true meaning of some found objects (mainly, the Bible, and the findings of science and history). They dispute among themselves, then the bickering dwindles, then the puzzle reappears in another thread. Threads seem to "evolve" into one of several different themes. Then the same ideas are presented again, and everybody pulls out their script and adapts it to the particular thread. Or should I say, adapts the thread into one of the usual themes. I don't want to add just one more voice to the usual hubbub or just try to score rhetorical points, which some seems to be what satisfies some.

I realize that for some people, other people's lack of proper belief is critically important to their putative salvation, allowing, or even requiring, persistent involvement. Frankly, they don't seem to be very good at it, if you look at the conversion trends here.

Disclaimer: I don't pretend to think my opinions about the above are what anyone should pay attention to.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Apr '14 01:10
    Originally posted by JS357
    A forums buddy PM'd me about my recent absence form this forum. I mentioned that the topics seem to be repeating themselves.

I wonder why. Maybe it's because many of the threads are like people puzzling over the true meaning of some found objects (mainly, the Bible, and the findings of science and history). They dispute among themselves, then the bickering ...[text shortened]... r: I don't pretend to think my opinions about the above are what anyone should pay attention to.
    As for the essence of what it means to debate and discuss things in a public forum, I think there was an interesting statement by a prominent theist a day or two ago:

"I care greatly about God's evaluation of my thoughts and deeds. Human criticisms I leave in His hands."

On the 'other side of the aisle', how would this 'translate' into an atheist statement about participation? This maybe:

"I care greatly about the reasoning behind my thoughts and deeds. As for criticisms, I welcome them and I leave them in the hands of the forum."

I think the second of these approaches bodes better for a discussion forum because there is no reason why theists cannot adopt it whereas the first of these approaches has little or no discursive potential.
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    11 Apr '14 01:22

I wonder why. Maybe it's because many of the threads are like people puzzling over the true meaning of some found objects (mainly, the Bible, and the findings of science and history). They dispute among themselves, then the bickering ...[text shortened]... r: I don't pretend to think my opinions about the above are what anyone should pay attention to.
    Or maybe, instead of reading motivation into everything "other people" (not you, of course) write, you could perhaps just enjoy the communication with other, sometimes opinionated, humans discussing what is bothering them that particular day?

This is what often bugs me about the so-called "humanist" crowd here. They love to classify everyone into their little boxes, then they deal with them based on what little box they put them into. Why can't we just be happy communicating with other "humans", regardless of what "flavor" they happen to be?
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Apr '14 01:26
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    This is what often bugs me about the so-called "humanist" crowd here. They love to classify everyone into their little boxes, then they deal with them based on what little box they put them into. Why can't we just be happy communicating with other "humans", regardless of what "flavor" they happen to be?
    Are you not ~ yourself ~ putting "the so-called 'humanist' crowd here" into a "little box"?
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    11 Apr '14 01:36
    I realize that for some people, other people's lack of proper belief is critically important to their putative salvation, allowing, or even requiring, persistent involvement. Frankly, they don't seem to be very good at it, if you look at the conversion trends here.
    I think that some of the new people to this forum may fall into this, as did some of us when we first started writing here, but I also think that for the most part, this forum and the people in it now recognize that no one's mind will be changed by what we say here. All we can do is present our side in a bid for understanding and tolerance. A little respect in this forum goes a long way too, but unfortunately often seems to be forgotten in the rush to present our own ideas.

In the movie Pulp Fiction, 1994, in a deleted scene, Mia asks Vincent (in a fake interview, shot on a 'hand cam' ), "In conversation, do you really listen to the other person, or do you only wait to speak?" Vincent answers, "I admit that I usually just wait to speak."

How about us? Do you think we really listen with respect, or do we only wait to speak? Are we more enamored with exposure to other people's ideas, or do we mainly only love the sound of our own voice?
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    11 Apr '14 01:39
    Originally posted by FMF
    Are you not ~ yourself ~ putting "the so-called 'humanist' crowd here" into a "little box"?
    Flippant to the end. Do carry on.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Apr '14 01:43
    Flippant to the end. Do carry on.
    Not flippant at all. A straight forward observation on what may well be a blind spot that you have. Do you think any theists/religionists here also love to classify everyone into their little boxes and then they deal with them based on what little box they put them into? You, for example, have quite clearly put "the so-called 'humanist' crowd here" into a "little box". Does it bug you when other theists do this too?
  8. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    11 Apr '14 02:051 edit
    I think that some of the new people to this forum may fall into this, as did some of us when we first started writing here, but I also think that for the most part, this forum and the people in it now recognize that no one's mind will be changed by what we say here. All we can do is present our side in a bid for understanding and tolerance. A little respe ...[text shortened]... red with exposure to other people's ideas, or do we mainly only love the sound of our own voice?
    Thoreau's, "Most men lead lives of quiet desperation" is probably still a valid observation of the human condition in our time. Fact is that collectively people hurt (physically, emotionally, financially, etc.) and face old/new anxieties and fears each new day. Online forums provide temporary diversion as well as recognition and validation of an individual's unique existence as long as topics are not perceived as invasive or threaten established comfort zones. We are who and what we post. imo
  9. Joined
    31 Jan '06
    Moves
    11 Apr '14 02:33
    JS357,
    If people repeat themselves, maybe it is because a poster thinks that someone else is ignoring what was already posted.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Apr '14 02:44
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Thoreau's, "Most men lead lives of quiet desperation" is probably still a valid observation of the human condition in our time.
    If by this you are revealing that you yourself live a life of "quiet desperation" then so be it. I think Thoreau's quote is an over-exposed, jaundiced and basically elitist pronouncement which I am sure was aimed at a readership that did not think it applied to them. It's interesting to see how easily a spiritual perspective can translate into dreary condescension.

I certainly do not lead a life of quiet desperation and I doubt there are many who frequent this forum who do. Among the people I know in my everyday life at present, who perhaps do face "quiet desperation", is an alcoholic friend who has deteriorated of late, and also a neighbour who is battling the onset of senility without the support of family.
  11. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    11 Apr '14 07:17
    Originally posted by KingOnPoint
    JS357,
    If people repeat themselves, maybe it is because a poster thinks that someone else is ignoring what was already posted.
    Well that poster must think that whatever it is, it should not be ignored and so bears repeating. That estimation of the importance of the message, motivates these posters, but does not seem to produce the results they claim to seek.
  12. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    13 Apr '14 03:41
    Well that poster must think that whatever it is, it should not be ignored and so bears repeating. That estimation of the importance of the message, motivates these posters, but does not seem to produce the results they claim to seek.
    "Forum Redundancy" result in part from a passionate sense of purpose or a lackadaisical focus or....?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree