GOP agenda

Standard memberwhodey
Debates 07 Nov '14 11:50
  1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    07 Nov '14 11:502 edits
    http://news.yahoo.com/john-mccain-s-new-power-to-torment-obama-on-foreign-policy-172213507.html

So now that the GOP is firmly in place in Congress, what is their agenda?

Is it:

1. To over turn Obamacare? No.
    2. To reduce the size and scope of a never expanding government? No.
    3. To reduce spending of the unfunded $120 trillion in debt? No.
    4. To tackle a failing economy? Nope.
    5. To secure the borders? Nope.
    6. To begin hearings on the endless scandals that came out of the Obama administration? Hell no.

John McCain about says it all. Their focus is Syria. They will do for Syria what they did for Iraq, which is take out a strong man dictator so far worse dictators can move in and take over. Of course, in the mind of John McCain that should never happen because the US should always flood the region with troops and/or money to try and control the region indefinitely.
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    07 Nov '14 12:05
    So now that the GOP is headed down the same predictable path, will it matter in 2016?

Will voters blame the DNC or the GOP for a failing country?

If memory serves, most people polled thought that the GOP controlled congress under the last term of Bush, even though the DNC controlled it. So everyone voted "D". Will this happen again in 2016?

Of course, a better question is, who gives a damn, just as long as one of those insane Tea Party types don't get in their and start suggesting lunatic policies like balancing budgets, securing the borders, or reducing the size and scope of government in any form or fashion, because God knows there are not enough czars in the world to create utopia.
  3. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    07 Nov '14 13:261 edit
    Originally posted by whodey
    http://news.yahoo.com/john-mccain-s-new-power-to-torment-obama-on-foreign-policy-172213507.html

Is it:

4 ...[text shortened]... uld always flood the region with troops and/or money to try and control the region indefinitely.
    Maybe you posted the wrong link.

Your link states : McCain is vowing to hold hearings, conduct investigations and "demand answers" from administration officials in order to expose what he calls the "abysmal" failures of Obama's national security policies.

And...

McCain has an ambitious agenda, ranging from repealing mandated sequester cuts at the Pentagon ("That's our first priority," he said) to investigating the prisoner swap that freed four Guantanamo Bay detainees in exchange for Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl.

And..."we need to hold hearings on [the White House's] strategy, to find out what the administration is doing."

Half way down the page of your link it says,

McCain plans to vigorously push for an expanded U.S. campaign in Syria and Iraq, including more robust arms and training for the Syrian rebels and a “no-fly zone” that would prevent Assad’s air force from dropping “barrel bombs” on his own people.....But the critical question is how many of McCain’s fellow Republicans — now in the majority — are prepared to join his fight ?
    In their calls for greater U.S. intervention over the years, “he and South Carolina Sen. Lindsey Graham were out there on their own,” “But the question is, has the climate changed enough ... and does he have others within the Republican majority who are prepared to join him? Is McCain a solo voice, or is there going to be a symphony?”

According to what I read from your link and the bits I posted here I see nothing that says the GOP's focus is Syria as you claim in the OP.
    The article is all about McCain and is quoted himself as to what his main priority is and its not Syria.
  4. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    07 Nov '14 13:42

Is it:

4 ...[text shortened]... uld always flood the region with troops and/or money to try and control the region indefinitely.
    $120 trillion in debt?

Did you just make up that number out of thin air?
  5. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    07 Nov '14 18:19
    Originally posted by sh76
    $120 trillion in debt?

The number probably has something to do with what this story says:

http://nypost.com/2011/06/26/120-trillion-the-shocking-true-size-of-our-nations-debt/
  6. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    07 Nov '14 18:231 edit

Is it:

I would take issue with your figure of a 120 trillion debt. That figure is not even close to correct. Regarding your statement on Syria, you may be correct. There is nothing that Johnny McCain loves to do more than play global policeman with lots of troops and firepower.

As far as the rest of your list goes:

1. Obamacare - Not going to happen, despite the whailings of some, millions of people now have health coverage that did not before, and all those death panel predictions didn't give the naysayers much credibility.

2. Size of government - I agree, despite all the hot air from the GOP, the size of government grows, no matter who is in power.

4. Failing Economy?? - This is no economic paradise I'll admit, but look at the unemployment rate, and DJIA in 2008 and look at it now. Yes, many have given up looking for work, but this is not a failing economy.

5. Securing our boarders - Our boarder with Mexico is in the same state of security as it was during Reagan, Bush 41, Clinton, Bush Jr., and Obama. So...how much more security would you like?

6. Obama's endless scandals - Yes, let's hold those hearings! They'll spend endless hours on hearings, and who knows, if they uncover the fact Obama cheated at basketball, Congress's approval rating may skyrocket over 9% ! 😏
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    07 Nov '14 23:12

Is it:

Never mind that they get kickbacks from the entire defense industry for keeping us at war.
  8. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    08 Nov '14 00:36
    $120 trillion in debt?

My suspicion is that is referring to unfunded mandates, which will become debt unless repealed. I read an article several years ago which asserted that just SS and Medicare would consume something over 80% of revenues by 2075.

Even if you have the written assertions at hand, it is nearly impossible for the average citizen to glean the raw numbers and tell if these projections are true.
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    08 Nov '14 00:57
    $120 trillion in debt?

Unfunded liabilities
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    08 Nov '14 01:001 edit
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    [b]Maybe you posted the wrong link.

Your link states : McCain is vowing to hold hearings, conduct investigations and "demand answers" from administration officials in order to expose what he calls the "abysmal" failures of Obama's national security policies.

And...

McCain has an ambitious agenda, ranging from repealing mandated sequester cuts a ...[text shortened]... eed to hold hearings on [the White House's] strategy, to find out what the administration is doing."
    Yes, so McCain will hold hearing. Great. Everytime they hold hearings nothing ever results.

So they held hearings about the IRS screwing over conservatives. Then Obama comes out and says he is apalled. Great. Makes us all feel warm and fuzzy inside as it continues. Don't forget, the GOP hates conservatives in the Tea Party as well. It is also in their interest to keep them down.

Even if they say they are going to seek justice, I don't believe it.

As for war with Assad and compay, it's plain that both Obama and McCain want that to happen.
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    08 Nov '14 01:02
    Originally posted by normbenign
    My suspicion is that is referring to unfunded mandates, which will become debt unless repealed. I read an article several years ago which asserted that just SS and Medicare would consume something over 80% of revenues by 2075.

Even if you have the written assertions at hand, it is nearly impossible for the average citizen to glean the raw numbers and tell if these projections are true.
    I forget that most people have no idea about unfunded liabilities. It's not like the media educates anyone about it.
  12. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    08 Nov '14 01:14
    Yes, so McCain will hold hearing. Great. Everytime they hold hearings nothing ever results.

So they held hearings about the IRS screwing over conservatives. Then Obama comes out and says he is apalled. Great. Makes us all feel warm and fuzzy inside as it continues. Don't forget, the GOP hates conservatives in the Tea Party as well. It is also in t ...[text shortened]...

As for war with Assad and compay, it's plain that both Obama and McCain want that to happen.
    I hear ya. But I have faith in Trey Dowdy for some reason. He seems like a straight shooter to me. Obama is a proven liar so I don't care if he says he is appalled or not. Him/His administration gave the marching orders in the first place.
    And I agree w/you that McCain wants to topple Assad (which is wrong, imo) but I disagree with your OP stating that is the GOP's focus. McCain does wield power but he does not speak for the GOP.
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    08 Nov '14 01:19
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    I hear ya. But I have faith in Trey Dowdy for some reason. He seems like a straight shooter to me. Obama is a proven liar so I don't care if he says he is appalled or not. Him/His administration gave the marching orders in the first place.
    And I agree w/you that McCain wants to topple Assad (which is wrong, imo) but I disagree with your OP stating that is the GOP's focus. McCain does wield power but he does not speak for the GOP.
    The GOP I think snubs its nose at the Tea Party. Don't forget, it was the GOP who chose McCain to run against Obama, and McCain disdains the Tea Party.

I don't see much evidence at all that the GOP is serious about the Tea Party. When have they had any success at the federal level?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree