1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    18 Feb '14 13:351 edit
    http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/277058739/1-in-4-americans-think-the-sun-goes-around-the-earth-survey-says

Centuries after Galileo told us that the earth orbits the sun, people still are siding with the ancient church saying that the sun orbits the earth. 1 in 4 still think that the sun orbits the earth.

This just goes to show how religion continues to effect people centuries later. Here we have an enlightened populace who are now voting democrat, but are still held captive by these ancient religious teachings.

Disgusting!! 😠
  2. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    18 Feb '14 13:57
    Originally posted by whodey
    http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/277058739/1-in-4-americans-think-the-sun-goes-around-the-earth-survey-says

Centuries after Galileo told us that the earth orbits the sun, people still are siding with the ancient church saying that the sun orbits the earth. 1 in 4 still think that the sun orbits the earth.

This just goes to show how religion con ...[text shortened]... g democrat, but are still held captive by these ancient religious teachings.

Disgusting!! 😠
    Only 66 percent of people in a 2005 European Union poll answered the basic astronomy answer correctly.

Ha! We're not the only place filled with morons!
    😛
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    18 Feb '14 14:34
    Originally posted by sh76
    Only 66 percent of people in a 2005 European Union poll answered the basic astronomy answer correctly.

Ha! We're not the only place filled with morons!
    😛
    What does this say about state run education?
  4. Germany
    Moves
    18 Feb '14 14:401 edit
    What does this say about state run education?
    Tell me whodey, what does it say about "state run education"? What's the comparable figure for places without "state run education"?
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    18 Feb '14 16:081 edit
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Tell me whodey, what does it say about "state run education"? What's the comparable figure for places without "state run education"?
    Well if we did not have state run education who would tell the children about the evils of global warming....er.....um.....climate change? And who will tell them about how great gay marriage is?

If kids stayed at home all they would get is parents telling them right from wrong and learning to work. Who needs that? That's why we need a state education.
  6. Germany
    Moves
    18 Feb '14 16:45
    Well if we did not have state run education who would tell the children about the evils of global warming....er.....um.....climate change? And who will tell them about how great gay marriage is?

If kids stayed at home all they would get is parents telling them right from wrong and learning to work. Who needs that? That's why we need a state education.
    And global warming, gay marriage and astronomy are related... how exactly? And what does it all have to do with "state-run education"? This is incoherent ranting even for your standards, whodey.
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    18 Feb '14 17:04
    Disgusting!! 😠
    What? I would have thought you would be one of those who got it wrong, and would be upset with the questionnaire. Over in the science forum, we discussed this same survey and at least one poster apparently doesn't know we are descended from other animals (another question on the survey lots of americans get wrong).
  8. Cape Town
    Moves
    18 Feb '14 17:05
    Here we have an enlightened populace who are now voting democrat, but are still held captive by these ancient religious teachings.
    I feel compelled to point out that the percentage that do not vote democrat is remarkably similar to the percentage who got that question wrong.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Feb '14 17:081 edit
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    And global warming, gay marriage and astronomy are related... how exactly? And what does it all have to do with "state-run education"? This is incoherent ranting even for your standards, whodey.
    gay marriage causes global warming, don't you know?
  10. Joined
    12 Jun '13
    Moves
    18 Feb '14 17:47
    We're all doomed, lets face it:

BEACON RADIO ( WOLVERHAMPTON )
    DJ Mark:For ten pounds, what is the nationality of the Pope?
    Ruth from Rowley Regis:I think I know that one. Is it Jewish?

UNIVERSITY CHALLENGE
    Bamber Gascoigne:What was Gandhi's first name?
    Contestant:Goosey?

GWR FM ( Bristol )
    Presenter:What happened in Dallas on November 22, 1963?
    Contestant:I don't know. I wasn't watching it then.

RTE RADIO 2FM ( IRELAND )
    Presenter:What is the name of the long-running TV comedy show about pensioners: Last Of The ...?
    Caller:Mohicans.

PHIL WOOD SHOW (BBC RADIO MANCHESTER)
    Phil:What's 11 squared?
    Contestant: I don't know.
    Phil:I'll give you a clue. It's two ones with a two in the middle.
    Contestant:Is it five?

NATIONAL LOTTERY (BBC1)
    Question:What is the world's largest continent?
    Contestant:The Pacific

ROCK FM ( PRESTON )
    Presenter:Name a film starring Bob Hoskins that is also the name of a famous painting by Leonardo Da Vinci.
    Contestant:Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

THE BIGGEST GAME IN TOWN (ITV)
    Steve Le Fevre:What was signed to bring World War I to an end in 1918?
    Contestant:Magna Carta ?.

JAMES O'BRIEN SHOW (LBC)
    O'Brien:How many kings of England have been called Henry?
    Contestant:Er, well, I know there was a Henry the Eighth .... ER .. ER ... Three?

CHRIS SEARLE SHOW (BBC RADIO BRISTOL )
    Searle:In which European country is Mount Etna ?
    Caller: Japan .
    Searle:I did say which European country, so in case you didn't hear that, I can let you try again.
    Caller:Er ..... Mexico ?

PAUL WAPPAT (BBC RADIO NEWCASTLE )
    Paul Wappat: How long did the Six-Day War between Egypt and Israel last?
    Contestant (after long pause): Fourteen days.

DARYL DENHAM'S DRIVETIME (VIRGIN RADIO)
    Daryl Denham:In which country would you spend shekels?
    Contestant: Holland ?
    Denham:Try the next letter of the alphabet.
    Contestant: Iceland ? Ireland ?
    Denham (helpfully):It's a bad line. Did you say Israel ?
    Contestant:No.

THE VAULT
    Melanie Sykes:What is the name given to the condition where the sufferer can fall asleep at any time?
    Contestant:Nostalgia.

LUNCHTIME SHOW (BRMB)
    Presenter:What religion was Guy Fawkes?
    Contestant:Jewish.
    Presenter:That's close enough.

STEVE WRIGHT IN THE AFTERNOON (BBC RADIO 2)
    Wright:Johnny Weissmuller died on this day. Which jungle-swinging character clad only in a loincloth did he play?
    Contestant:Jesus.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree