1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    23 Aug '15 14:453 edits
    https://www.yahoo.com/katiecouric/now-i-get-it-gitmo-guantanamo-bay-president-obama-127264141618.html

President Obama has less than a year and a half before his time in office comes to an end. What’s lingering on his to-do list? Closing the U.S. military prison at the Guantanamo Bay Naval Base in Cuba. Guantanamo, or Gitmo as it is often called, which comes from its military abbreviation GTMO, opened in 2002, following the Sept. 11 attacks.

Gitmo became the holding place for individuals suspected of planning attacks against the United States. Since its opening, Gitmo has held more than 780 prisoners. Over the years, prisoners have been transferred or released. And now 116 still remain.

Since its inception, the detention center has been controversial. Human rights activists have argued for its closure. Others believe that Guantanamo has been crucial in the war on terror.

President Obama agrees Gitmo should go. In 2007, then-candidate Barack Obama made a promise to shut down Guantanamo saying, “Our legitimacy is reduced, when we’ve got a Guantanamo that is open, when we suspend habeas corpus. Those kinds of things erode our moral claims that we are acting on behalf of broader universal principles.”

But despite his attempts — in 2009 he signed a directive to shut down the prison — President Obama has faced a series of roadblocks.

Of the detainees still at Guantanamo, 52 have been cleared for release by interagency reviews. But Defense Secretary Ash Carter’s signature is needed for final approval. Some believe that Carter’s office is not moving fast enough and that Carter himself does not want to be held accountable for the released detainees.

But on Thursday, Aug. 20, Carter said about releasing prisoners, “I see it exactly as the president does.”

Even if the 52 detainees are released, 64 will still remain. And what to do with the prisoners deemed too dangerous to be let go is another hurdle for the White House.

The Pentagon has said that it is looking at sites in the United States that could hold the prisoners. But as of now, it is illegal for federal funds to be used to transfer prisoners from Guantanamo Bay to the U.S.

The clock is ticking for President Obama to complete his campaign promise. So when it comes to the question of what to do with Gitmo, at least after watching this video you can say, “Now I get it.”
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    23 Aug '15 14:48
    "Even if the 52 detainees are released, 64 will still remain. And what to do with the prisoners deemed too dangerous to be let go is another hurdle for the White House."

So what to do wiith the "dangerous" terrorists?
  3. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    23 Aug '15 14:51
    Originally posted by whodey
    "Even if the 52 detainees are released, 64 will still remain. And what to do with the prisoners deemed too dangerous to be let go is another hurdle for the White House."

Why not move them to a federal or military prison?
  4. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    24 Aug '15 03:48
    https://www.yahoo.com/katiecouric/now-i-get-it-gitmo-guantanamo-bay-president-obama-127264141618.html

President Obama has less than a year and a half before his time in office comes to an end. What’s lingering on his to-do list? Closing the U.S. military prison at the Guantanamo Bay Naval Base in Cuba. Guantanamo, or Gitmo as it is often called, which come ...[text shortened]... estion of what to do with Gitmo, at least after watching this video you can say, “Now I get it.”
    The Republican Congress has blocked every attempt to close Gitmo and still does. Blaming Obama for not fulfilling this particular campaign promise is ridiculously dishonest.
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    24 Aug '15 04:22
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    The Republican Congress has blocked every attempt to close Gitmo and still does. Blaming Obama for not fulfilling this particular campaign promise is ridiculously dishonest.
    Are there any more army deserters like Bergdahl that Obama can release more terrorists for?

I would think before you close the thing down you would first assess what to do with the terrorists that jail them.
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    24 Aug '15 07:16
    Do what should have been done in the first place. Give them a fair trial. The whole concept of 'laws don't apply to terrorists' brings America into disrepute. It is a violation of everything that democracy and a legal system stand for.
  7. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    24 Aug '15 08:16
    guantanamo is not the problem. i love that a hole in which to dump terrorists exist.

how one gets to guantanamo is the problem.

the US doesn't need to close it, it needs to stop sending people there without trial, without proof someone is guilty.
  8. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    24 Aug '15 12:15
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    guantanamo is not the problem. i love that a hole in which to dump terrorists exist.
    Yeah, but why pollute Cuba for that, when we could just leave them in the Republican Party?
  9. Germany
    Moves
    24 Aug '15 12:26

Here's a radical idea: put people accused of crimes on trial.
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    24 Aug '15 12:391 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Do what should have been done in the first place. Give them a fair trial. The whole concept of 'laws don't apply to terrorists' brings America into disrepute. It is a violation of everything that democracy and a legal system stand for.
    But what I don't understand is that Obama signed the NDAA which allowed the government to detain its citizens indefinately without trial.

Why is he then concerned about people from other countries that his own citizens?

Sounds like double speak to me
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    24 Aug '15 12:39
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Here's a radical idea: put people accused of crimes on trial.
    What is preventing this?
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    24 Aug '15 13:34
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi

how one gets to guantanamo is the problem.

the US doesn't need to close it, it needs to stop sending people there without trial, without proof someone is guilty.
    You clearly don't know why Guantanamo exists. It exists precisely to avoid the need for a trial. There are jails all over the US and the rest of the world where properly tried (and found guilty) people can be placed.
  13. Cape Town
    Moves
    24 Aug '15 13:36
    What is preventing this?
    Your congress.
  14. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    24 Aug '15 14:11
    Your congress.
    My Congress? When did it become my Congress?

Additionally, why does Congress not want them to go on trial in your estimation?

Keep in mind that the GOP was in full favor of the NDAA which I oppose.
  15. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    24 Aug '15 14:51
    You clearly don't know why Guantanamo exists. It exists precisely to avoid the need for a trial. There are jails all over the US and the rest of the world where properly tried (and found guilty) people can be placed.
    " It exists precisely to avoid the need for a trial."
    and i said that was the problem.

how about you go be smug with someone else?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree