1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    26 Jun '15 19:23
    OK nerds, heads up.

I'm sure you will be aware of what's going on in the heavens northern hemisphere...right? Venus and Jupiter coming into gradual alignment, half moon across the way and further out you can see Saturn as a boring pale flat yellow disk. Depending on what equipment you are using.
    OK if you have a clear sky go and look at Jupiter with a good set of binoculars; I'm sure I can see at least two of its moons.
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    26 Jun '15 19:39
    http://www.shallowsky.com/jupiter/

Current positions of Jupiter's moons.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    27 Jun '15 20:29
    Originally posted by divegeester
    http://www.shallowsky.com/jupiter/

Current positions of Jupiter's moons.
    Whenever it was you put up that notice, they are not in that configuration now.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    30 Jun '15 20:011 edit
    Originally posted by divegeester
    OK nerds, heads up.

I'm sure you will be aware of what's going on in the heavens northern hemisphere...right? Venus and Jupiter coming into gradual alignment, half moon across the way and further out you can see Saturn as a boring pale flat yellow disk. Depending on what equipment you are using.
    OK if you have a clear sky go and look at Jupiter with a good set of binoculars; I'm sure I can see at least two of its moons.
    BTW, those of us (well, ME) who have 20X80 binoculars with solar filters on it can see new sunspots, I was able to show them to three of my teenage grandkids, and they were awed! There are some nice fat ones on the sun right now, and just recently one of them kind of blew its nose so to speak and spread the juice all the way to Earth and there were some great aurorae displays up north. Sunsnot from sunspots🙂
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    30 Jun '15 20:42
    I have noticed two very bright stars to the north west in the evening here in Cape Town. Based on star maps I believe they are Venus and Jupiter. I don't have binoculars so can't make out anything more than that they are unusually bright.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    01 Jul '15 13:59
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I have noticed two very bright stars to the north west in the evening here in Cape Town. Based on star maps I believe they are Venus and Jupiter. I don't have binoculars so can't make out anything more than that they are unusually bright.
    Yep, Ju and V. They are almost lined up with respect to Earth. They will start to separate in the coming days.
  7. Standard memberMammy Blue
    Delicious Monster...
    Moves
    02 Jul '15 20:20
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    BTW, those of us (well, ME) who have 20X80 binoculars with solar filters on it can see new sunspots, I was able to show them to three of my teenage grandkids, and they were awed! There are some nice fat ones on the sun right now, and just recently one of them kind of blew its nose so to speak and spread the juice all the way to Earth and there were some great aurorae displays up north. Sunsnot from sunspots🙂
    Have been watching them from Johannesburg too, the last week or so, very bright. With my 10x50 binoculars I can sometimes see four of the moons of Jupiter, each night in a different array around the planet itself.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree