1. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    16 Aug '14 11:53
    ...is a source consisting of numerous incomplete, badly translated, now largely missing sources?

Ancient Bibles: YouTube

I found this most enlightening. I always doubted that the bible was a reliable source, mainly because it was compiled by a group of men with their own agenda (choosing what goes in and what is left out) long after the events took place, but apparently the problem is even bigger than that. Or what say ye?
  2. Standard memberredbadger
    Suzzie says Badger
    is Racist Bastard
    Moves
    16 Aug '14 11:58
    Originally posted by C Hess
    ...is a source consisting of numerous incomplete, badly translated, now largely missing sources?

Ancient Bibles: http://youtu.be/tmVY1Az5ij4

I found this most enlightening. I always doubted that the bible was a reliable source, mainly because it was compiled by a group of men with their own agenda (choosing what goes in and what is left out) long after the events took place, but apparently the problem is even bigger than that. Or what say ye?
    take it to spirituality spanky
  3. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    16 Aug '14 12:08
    Originally posted by redbadger
    take it to spirituality spanky
    Oh, damn! I thought I was in spirituality. Uhm, are there any mods around? 😳
  4. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    16 Aug '14 12:13
    I think the mods nowadays are mostly bots looking for dirty words.
  5. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    16 Aug '14 12:18
    Spirituality is a good place for fedoras.
  6. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    16 Aug '14 12:22
    Originally posted by JS357
    I think the mods nowadays are mostly bots looking for dirty words.
    I just created a new thread in spirituality, so this one may sink into oblivion. It would be hilarious though, if a moderator moved this thread too to spirituality.
  7. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    16 Aug '14 13:05
    Originally posted by Seitse
    and "backwards" ballcaps.
  8. Standard memberredbadger
    Suzzie says Badger
    is Racist Bastard
    Moves
    16 Aug '14 13:08
    Originally posted by Great Big Stees
    and "backwards" ballcaps.
    or a tonsure
  9. rebel city
    Moves
    16 Aug '14 13:12

It is never 100% reliable. Translations for example, are dodgy and dependent on the translator's feelings, knowledge, and specially, the capacity to be unbiased and recreate exactly the same in another language. Personally, I am yet to find, with some exceptions to classic literature.
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    17 Aug '14 06:41
    I think all your threads get auto-bumped to the GF these days 😛
  11. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    25 Aug '14 12:33

Well compare the reliability to other Antic texts which are available often in single exemplars...and nobody doubting we have an original Aristoteles or Platon or whatever.
  12. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    25 Aug '14 21:09
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    Well compare the reliability to other Antic texts which are available often in single exemplars...and nobody doubting we have an original Aristoteles or Platon or whatever.
    C-C-C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER!
  13. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    25 Aug '14 21:26
    Originally posted by Seitse
    M'lady.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree