1. Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Aug '13 23:03
    cannot reach the server, have they moved, any ideas?
  2. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    26 Aug '13 00:33
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    cannot reach the server, have they moved, any ideas?
    I read on chess.com that they were hacked again and the hacker is going to release their source code.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Aug '13 07:46
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    I read on chess.com that they were hacked again and the hacker is going to release their source code.
    where is the community to help them, this is an outrage against the free internet community, hack chess.com and fat cat erik, or hack the hacker, FICS is the greatest thing on the net.
  4. Joined
    19 Aug '12
    Moves
    26 Aug '13 10:30
    Why do people play at FICS? Play against your phone or at Playchess/ICC. What do you imagine the hackers are doing with people's private details on FICS?

Without trying to sound like I'm bashing on FICS, there are plenty of alternatives.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Aug '13 13:581 edit
    Originally posted by congruent
    Why do people play at FICS? Play against your phone or at Playchess/ICC. What do you imagine the hackers are doing with people's private details on FICS?

Without trying to sound like I'm bashing on FICS, there are plenty of alternatives.
    why do people play at FICS? to play against other humans, playing against phone is da worst, why, because it does not think like a human, ICC sucks in comparison, FICS has so many good features for free, even chess.com, you cannot go over your game afterwards with a chess engine looking for blunders directly, you need to upload it and wait for their stupid computer to tell you that a move from the opening was a mistake because it gives .9 of a pawn,

what do hackers normally do with peoples user names and passwords?

Nothing comes close to FICS, the channels, the lecture bot, NADA
  6. Joined
    19 Aug '12
    Moves
    26 Aug '13 15:43
    FICS cannot be compared to playchess/ICC unless one is playing simply for the habit of playing.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Aug '13 18:46
    FICS cannot be compared to playchess/ICC unless one is playing simply for the habit of playing.
    why not?
  8. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    26 Aug '13 19:32
    where is the community to help them, this is an outrage against the free internet community, hack chess.com and fat cat erik, or hack the hacker, FICS is the greatest thing on the net.
    It was just a forum post with a screen shot of the message from the hackers. There was no indication that chess.com people were behind it.
  9. Joined
    19 Aug '12
    Moves
    26 Aug '13 20:09
    why not?
    * How many GMs/IMs play on FICS compared to other sites?
    * Look at the playing client on FICS va others.
    * How many players are online on FICS compared to the others?
    * If you were to work for free at your place of work, how would you live? How do people expect the volunteers who run FICS to live?
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Aug '13 20:256 edits
    * How many GMs/IMs play on FICS compared to other sites?
    * Look at the playing client on FICS va others.
    * How many players are online on FICS compared to the others?
    * If you were to work for free at your place of work, how would you live? How do people expect the volunteers who run FICS to live?
    Irrelevant, are you a GM, no neither am I, why should it be relevant to the quality of the site I have no idea, but for your information, you could link to many live GM games from the FICS portal and if my memory serves me correctly, guests could not enter the main hall of playchess, its was too exclusive.

FICS has many playing clients many of which are customisable, you think dasher is a good client, bwahahaha, neeeext.

FICS has a large enough player base to get good games

Altruism has spawned an entire community, its called open source and has provided some of the best software to date, in fact, this message that you are reading was generated on firefox (a proudly non profit organisation) with an open source operating system, UBUNTU 12.04 LTS that I downloaded from Canonical for free, you cant touch that. People can live quite happily and still give, flip sake even Scrooge was forced to give away a turkey in the end. 😛
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Aug '13 20:371 edit
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    It was just a forum post with a screen shot of the message from the hackers. There was no indication that chess.com people were behind it.
    I know, it was nothing to do with chess.com, erik just needs to be hacked for the lulz, i heard that their backup server is still up though.
  12. Joined
    19 Aug '12
    Moves
    27 Aug '13 17:57
    Those who play at FICS however inferior it is, should donate £££ to bring up the server and stop being scroungers living off of the generosity of others. Why does it only seem to be FICS with this problem though?
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Aug '13 08:313 edits
    Those who play at FICS however inferior it is, should donate £££ to bring up the server and stop being scroungers living off of the generosity of others. Why does it only seem to be FICS with this problem though?
    what is it about altruism that you don't understand? what is it about people wanting through their own volition to give freely of their own knowledge and resources that yet evades you? You see little examples of it on this forum day in and day out, Is the concept so alien that you need to denigrate it to scrounging???

Clearly there is no point in trying to reason with someone so absolutely devoid of reason that they need to resort to defamatory remarks, please don't waste my time any further, you do what you want and let those that want to give to others do so, safe in the knowledge that their time and effort is readily appreciated.

As i stated even Scrooge was forced to give away a turkey and Microsoft Internet explorer (eventually)
  14. Standard memberhedonist
    peacedog's keeper
    Moves
    28 Aug '13 10:52
    Free chess servers dedicated to more than the casual player are a godsend for people like me who are financially embarrassed from time to time.

Over the years I have pumped many thousands of pounds into the global chess economy. From tournament entry fees, publication purchases and online/offline club memberships.

Sometimes its just nice to give or get something for nothing.
  15. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    28 Aug '13 14:51
    As i stated even Scrooge was forced to give away a turkey and Microsoft Internet explorer (eventually)
    Even Scrooge gave something better than a turd in a stocking. 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree