1. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Jul '15 10:36
    I have read many posts here, and frankly, atheists have a great point. Is anything in our Bible really true? Is our Bible really the work of God, or just man made nonsense?

It seems illogical for a Christian to give Bible verses to an atheist to make a point, yet......at the same time, Christians are using Bible verses against each other to make their point. I am beginning to wonder if the Bible itself is man made, and if all of us are deceived somehow.

Because frankly.......if God wanted us to truly know Him, then either God is a moron, or mankind is a bunch of morons who cannot agree on two things in the 'Bible'.
  2. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    29 Jul '15 11:24
    Originally posted by chaney3
    I have read many posts here, and frankly, atheists have a great point. Is anything in our Bible really true? Is our Bible really the work of God, or just man made nonsense?

It seems illogical for a Christian to give Bible verses to an atheist to make a point, yet......at the same time, Christians are using Bible verses against each other to make their p ...[text shortened]... r God is a moron, or mankind is a bunch of morons who cannot agree on two things in the 'Bible'.
    To be honest old chap, i think you should stay away from 'my' (and other atheists) posts for a while. I wouldn't want to be responsible for damaging your faith, as you seem to be in quite fragile territory at the moment. My stated opinions about the bible etc are usually quite candid because they are usually picked up by Christians etc who are quite strong in their beliefs and so are able to easily counter my arguments without any detriment to what they hold as true.
    I think (on this occasion) you are probably better off following Suzianne's advice and studying the bible more, and hopefully will achieve a better understanding, one way or the other. I fear it is not a good time for you to have an atheist whispering mischief in your ear.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Jul '15 11:30
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    To be honest old chap, i think you should stay away from 'my' (and other atheists) posts for a while. I wouldn't want to be responsible for damaging your faith, as you seem to be in quite fragile territory at the moment. My stated opinions about the bible etc are usually quite candid because they are usually picked up by Christians etc who are quite ...[text shortened]... other. I fear it is not a good time for you to have an atheist whispering mischief in your ear.
    Ghost, my old chap......lol. There is not a more important topic to discuss than one's belief in the Bible. I regard your opinions, but am not sure what you will offer. How a man can study religion and be an atheist speaks volumes. Why would you want me to go to church to believe something that may be impossible to believe?
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    29 Jul '15 11:38
    Chaney, I highly recommend you check this out...

For anyone interested, here is a free bible class.
    It is 24 hours divided into 28 segments. I heard the first one so far, and I thought it is was well done.

YouTube&list=PLZF8gTdcutNw-ABiBgS8cwJIsKAndnXjL&index=3
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Jul '15 11:40
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    Chaney, I highly recommend you check this out...

For anyone interested, here is a free bible class.
    It is 24 hours divided into 28 segments. I heard the first one so far, and I thought it is was well done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDu7B-OM0P4&list=PLZF8gTdcutNw-ABiBgS8cwJIsKAndnXjL&index=3
    Checkbaiter, you are a class act. Thank you.
  6. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    29 Jul '15 11:41
    Ghost, my old chap......lol. There is not a more important topic to discuss than one's belief in the Bible. I regard your opinions, but am not sure what you will offer. How a man can study religion and be an atheist speaks volumes. Why would you want me to go to church to believe something that may be impossible to believe?
    Not sure about the 'going to church' thing. Even if i was a Christian i would stay clear i think of organised religion. (But that's probably just me). No, my advice was to read your bible, if your desire is to better understand its relevance. You can do this in your garden, you can do this in your shed. (No, don't do this in your shed. There really is no need to do this in your shed).

So to recap, stay out of the shed.

Hope this helps?
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Jul '15 11:471 edit
    Not sure about the 'going to church' thing. Even if i was a Christian i would stay clear i think of organised religion. (But that's probably just me). No, my advice was to read your bible, if your desire is to better understand its relevance. You can do this in your garden, you can do this in your shed. (No, don't do this in your shed. There really is no need to do this in your shed).

So to recap, stay out of the shed.

Hope this helps?
    Lol, lol. Thanks so much Ghost for the solid advice. You know......I would love someday to think that you ponder the thought of a 'God'. Your input would be just, if we can pry you away from chocolate.

Edit: I am still waiting for an Englishman, and others to reply to my soccer post.
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    29 Jul '15 12:17
    Lol, lol. Thanks so much Ghost for the solid advice. You know......I would love someday to think that you ponder the thought of a 'God'. Your input would be just, if we can pry you away from chocolate.

Edit: I am still waiting for an Englishman, and others to reply to my soccer post.
    Theists don't like the idea, for instance, that the 6 day creation tale was lifted from an earlier Egyptian 6 day creation tale, of course put in a Jewish perspective, but is nonetheless not an original story.

Theists then say, well the Egyptian story is not like the TRUE creation story because it says GOD created, etc.

There are so many inconsistencies in the bible, like the anthropomorphic way their god is described. It is clear their god was made in the image of man but a bad ass god, capable of getting ticked off. Like a real god, one who can breath in entire universes, could get ticked off at humans, like humans getting REALLY mad at the ants in an ant colony doing their own thing.

It is like humans have an extremely weak BS meter, with an extremely high gullibility index, in spite of the fact that a small number of us are extremely intelligent and inventive.

I think it was exactly those extremely intelligent and creative folks who started the religious idea with no god needed or even wanted. Humans want to be in control so they invent devices, really evil devices IMO, like 'original sin', 'born into sin' and the like, which if the gullible populace buys into it, forever ties them to their religion, and the upper levels of the religion then become the intermediaries between the savages and god.

A real deity would not need such hierarchies. Think about it. A god capable of breathing in an entire universe and therefore aware of every atom and force in said universe would know the life forms coming up in this deity's garden (the universe) and would know well in advance which life forms would achieve sentience and language and it would therefore know all the languages of the entire universe and would therefore be able to just open a party line to all humans at once and just go, ok folks, here is how it is.

But theists build it up in such a way as you only connect through god through a hierarchy, even if that hierarchy is one person, like Jesus.
    If someone desired spiritual growth, why does it have to be associated with ANY religion? Why can't it be a religion of ONE?

A real deity would not need some kind of hierarchy.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    29 Jul '15 13:39

It seems illogical for a Christian to give Bible verses to an atheist to make a point, yet......at the same time, Christians are using Bible verses against each other to make their p ...[text shortened]... r God is a moron, or mankind is a bunch of morons who cannot agree on two things in the 'Bible'.
    I think you would be happier being an atheist; why don't you leave all the complicated theist stuff to us more capable of handling it?

😛
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    29 Jul '15 13:44
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    It is like humans have an extremely weak BS meter, with an extremely high gullibility index, in spite of the fact that a small number of us are extremely intelligent and inventive.
    And yet interestingly you, an electronics technician (I believe) who has be duped into downloading enough computer viruses to write a reference guide. So much so in fact that you have become legend here at RHP and the name "sonhouse" has evolved into a pseudonym for "computer cock-up".

"I hit the wrong key - what sonhouse!"
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    29 Jul '15 14:301 edit
    Originally posted by divegeester
    And yet interestingly you, an electronics technician (I believe) who has be duped into downloading enough computer viruses to write a reference guide. So much so in fact that you have become legend here at RHP and the name "sonhouse" has evolved into a pseudonym for "computer cock-up".

"I hit the wrong key - what sonhouse!"
    So sorry to disappoint but I haven't had a virus attack in years. Don't think that has much to do with the bible being a real book. The worse virus I got was from downloading an audio editing program which was for sure a mistake, in hindsight. I don't download much of anything anymore, just deal with my normal suppliers like Cakewalk, Sonar, Tascam and the like. Hey, I'm 73, so cut me some slack. I shouldn't even be USING computers, I am supposed to be in a rocking chair sucking an oxygen tube🙂 Instead, I am working as a tech like you said, full time, making $84K a year but with a lousy commute, 160 miles a day round trip.
  12. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    29 Jul '15 17:19
    I am just going to make a wild guess and say, "Yes, the Holy Bible is a real book." But if you really have doubts then i suggest you look up the word "Bible" in a dictionary to get another opinion. 😏

The Near Genius
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    30 Jul '15 11:02
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Theists don't like the idea, for instance, that the 6 day creation tale was lifted from an earlier Egyptian 6 day creation tale, of course put in a Jewish perspective, but is nonetheless not an original story.

Theists then say, well the Egyptian story is not like the TRUE creation story because it says GOD created, etc.

There are so many inconsistenc ...[text shortened]... gion? Why can't it be a religion of ONE?

A real deity would not need some kind of hierarchy.
    Look, it's bad enough that you are so pissed at God that you feel that He must be imaginary, but destroying another person's faith and leading them astray to eventually not believe in God or salvation is an even worse sin than your own disbelief. If there's any danger in religion, it's not on the theists' side. It's in those who would bend another to their own will and turn people away from God. People who would choose God on their own who are also so weak-willed and weak-minded that they could be convinced by atheists to abandon their faith. Refusing to believe on your own is one thing, you only seal your own fate. But to cause another to reject salvation because you convinced them to do so will weigh far more heavily on your soul.
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    30 Jul '15 11:19
    Not sure about the 'going to church' thing. Even if i was a Christian i would stay clear i think of organised religion. (But that's probably just me).
    No, not just you, but others here feel the same way (even some Christians). I, too, used to think I could get all I needed spiritually from only my own dog-eared copy of the Bible. But this is not true. Christians need fellowship. Jesus had twelve disciples, not just one (or none). Isolated belief often withers, and becomes impotent. But it also can become twisted, it's much easier to develop your own theories about dogma when you have no opportunity for feedback and learning from other, perhaps more learned, Christian brothers. Organized religion is not evil in and of itself. Evil is not made manifest in religion, it is made manifest in people. Learn discernment and always, always, pray for wisdom and guidance. This is my advice to cheney3, in addition to reading his Bible.
  15. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    30 Jul '15 15:031 edit
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    No, not just you, but others here feel the same way (even some Christians). I, too, used to think I could get all I needed spiritually from only my own dog-eared copy of the Bible. But this is not true. Christians need fellowship. Jesus had twelve disciples, not just one (or none). Isolated belief often withers, and becomes impotent. But it also can b ...[text shortened]... , pray for wisdom and guidance. This is my advice to cheney3, in addition to reading his Bible.
    'But the anointing that you received from him abides in you, and you have no need that anyone should teach you. But as his anointing teaches you about everything, and is true, and is no lie—just as it has taught you, abide in him.' (1 John 2:27)

Edit: I know how much you like an atheist quoting the bible at you.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree