1. Joined
    13 Apr '12
    Moves
    14 Sep '13 14:22
    http://www.irishchesscogitations.com/blog/cheating-case-and-core-issues-pertaining-the-facts-plus-comment-and-opinion/

Seems RHP isn't the only place that tolerates cheats 😉
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Sep '13 16:06
    Originally posted by Dewi Jones
    http://www.irishchesscogitations.com/blog/cheating-case-and-core-issues-pertaining-the-facts-plus-comment-and-opinion/

4 Months suspension? what the heck is that? pansies!
  3. Joined
    13 Apr '12
    Moves
    14 Sep '13 16:41
    no, 4 months suspended suspension.

i.e. no suspension.
  4. Joined
    21 Jan '11
    Moves
    14 Sep '13 17:08
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    4 Months suspension? what the heck is that? pansies!
    Yep. Zero tolerance the only way to deal with cheats. I would think a three strikes policy (5 year ban - 10/ 15 year ban - lifetime ban) to be fair for any adult player, and in this case a 2 year minimum ban from all competition, and much longer probationary period after that, for a non-adult player. A 4 month suspended sentence is a nonsense.
  5. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    14 Sep '13 19:01
    Originally posted by Dewi Jones

Well, it stated that he was only 16 years old and admitted to cheating in retalliation against his opponent who had cheated against him in a different way in a blitz tournament earlier by touching a piece and then moving another piece and nothing was done about it. He stated that this was his first time to have cheated. Also that he had been treated badly after this incident of cheating, which was a kind of punishment in itself.

It was also stated that a different decision would have been made if he were an adult, but young people often make mistakes and they decided to take that into account and let him learn a lesson from this incident, in view that he broke no Irish law.

The Instructor
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Sep '13 19:16
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Well, it stated that he was only 16 years old and admitted to cheating in retalliation against his opponent who had cheated against him in a different way in a blitz tournament earlier by touching a piece and then moving another piece and nothing was done about it. He stated that this was his first time to have cheated. Also that he had been treated badly a ...[text shortened]... let him learn a lesson from this incident, in view that he broke no Irish law.

The Instructor
    taking a tablet to a chess match and covertly using it is not a mistake, its a deliberate action.
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    14 Sep '13 19:29
    taking a tablet to a chess match and covertly using it is not a mistake, its a deliberate action.
    Maybe it is considered the kind of deliberate mistake that is sometimes made by the immature minds of young people. This is no different than a judge or jury making a different decision than we would in a criminal case, which this was not. We may disagree, but the decision has been made.

The Instructor
  8. Standard memberhedonist
    peacedog's keeper
    Moves
    14 Sep '13 20:47
    This is just bad news. So now it appears to be OK to cheat so long as you've got a reason?

With the advances in technology, it's only a matter of time until otb cheating will be as easy as it is on line now. Then every tourney will be infected by the same tubes who plague chess servers.
  9. Joined
    13 Apr '12
    Moves
    14 Sep '13 22:58
    Plus there's very little you can do but admit it when you're caught in the bog with your tablet running shredder! No credit for admitting it when there is no credible denial.
  10. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    15 Sep '13 00:56
    The kid is 16, give him a break and pour him a pint of the black stuff 😉
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Sep '13 01:06
    Originally posted by Trev33
    The kid is 16, give him a break and pour him a pint of the black stuff 😉
    16, in Scotland he can get married and father children, no breaks, no namby pamby wishy washy liberal jive talk, he should be given a good thrashing. Instead he goes home and cries to his mommy who threatens legal action, break, sooo funny.
  12. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    15 Sep '13 03:46
    16, in Scotland he can get married and father children, no breaks, no namby pamby wishy washy liberal jive talk, he should be given a good thrashing. Instead he goes home and cries to his mommy who threatens legal action, break, sooo funny.
    Well, maybe if he had fathered children, then the decision would have been different.

The Instructor
  13. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    15 Sep '13 07:50
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Well, maybe if he had fathered children, then the decision would have been different.

The Instructor
    Of course it is beside the point, but fathering a child would probably also be counted as a sign for immaturity...

In fact banning him from Facebook for life would be the more sever punishment. For tournaments I would enact a strict no electronic equipment rule. Everybody caught gets all games forfeited on the spot. Of course organisers would have to offer the safe-keeping of phones, etc.
  14. Joined
    13 Apr '12
    Moves
    15 Sep '13 10:05
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    Of course it is beside the point, but fathering a child would probably also be counted as a sign for immaturity...

In fact banning him from Facebook for life would be the more sever punishment. For tournaments I would enact a strict no electronic equipment rule. Everybody caught gets all games forfeited on the spot. Of course organisers would have to offer the safe-keeping of phones, etc.
    I have my phone with me at tournaments, I remove the battery and put it and the battery in plain view of my opponent. Then my opponent know where my phone is when I need to go for a wee. I don't see why opponents couldn't look after each others phones in this way.
  15. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    15 Sep '13 13:39
    Originally posted by Ponderable

Even under age criminals are only punished for their offenses until they reach 18. So a lifetime band for a non-criminal act is ridiculous.

The Instructor

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree