1. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    21 Dec '14 08:232 edits
    -a very bad idea! What a waste of money that would be which could be spent on other things! But at least they are not insane enough (so far ) to be considering here putting a man on the surface of Venus! Instead they are talking about putting a man in an airship high in Venuses atmosphere above the cloud layer where at least the temperatures and pressures wouldn't be hellish (but the atmosphere would still be deadly to humans and there would be no point in bringing a parachute! ). But even doing that is very dangerous, expensive and completely pointless.

http://phys.org/news/2014-12-nasa-possibilities-mission-venus.html

Why not develop a sufficiently good AI to put in a small airship in Venuses atmosphere to do whatever research they want to do with an airship there but without the massive danger to human life and far greater expense of putting a man in it? I am sure that would definitely work out a lot cheaper and at least as effective. Not that I think even that would be worth it; -not much to look at there but just the tops of clouds and sunshine above the clouds. It would make pretty dry research.
  2. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    21 Dec '14 10:49
    Originally posted by humy
    -a very bad idea! What a waste of money that would be which could be spent on other things! But at least they are not insane enough (so far ) to be considering here putting a man on the surface of Venus! Instead they are talking about putting a man in an airship high in Venuses atmosphere above the cloud layer where at least the temperatures and pressure ...[text shortened]... re but just the tops of clouds and sunshine above the clouds. It would make pretty dry research.
    Okay, so...

...you're not volunteering, then?
  3. Joined
    21 Nov '14
    Moves
    21 Dec '14 13:06
    didnt the Russkies already send a probe to Venus?
  4. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    21 Dec '14 17:29
    Originally posted by Soothfast
    Okay, so...

...you're not volunteering, then?
    LOL
    You think I'm nuts?
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    21 Dec '14 22:531 edit
    Originally posted by woadman
    didnt the Russkies already send a probe to Venus?
    Yes, it was cooled by liquid nitrogen through little pipes wrapped around the outside and it survived the trip through the atmosphere lasted some 20 minutes on the ground which allowed the probe to get some photos and do some science.

It's almost 1000 degrees F on the surface and if that wasn't bad enough, there is an atmospheric pressure of about 100 times that of Earth and a lot of sulfuric acid in that atmosphere. Not a nice place to visit.

Probes have been used orbiting Venus outfitted with radar so they have mapped the surface pretty well.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree