1. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    24 Aug '13 02:10
    How much is appropriate? By who?

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/08/24/us-syria-crisis-hagel-idUSBRE97N01A20130824

(Reuters) - U.S. Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel strongly suggested on Friday the United States was positioning naval forces and assets in anticipation of any decision by President Barack Obama to order military action on Syria after apparent chemical weapons use.
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    24 Aug '13 03:05
    Anything Obama wants to do is "A" OK with me.

After all, he saved Egypt and Libya, why not Syria?
  3. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    24 Aug '13 04:10
    Originally posted by whodey
    Anything Obama wants to do is "A" OK with me.

After all, he saved Egypt and Libya, why not Syria?
    Ignorant comment. We had no troops on the ground in either Libya or Egypt.
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    24 Aug '13 04:18
    Originally posted by moon1969
    Ignorant comment. We had no troops on the ground in either Libya or Egypt.
    From what I hear, neither will there be in Syria. He will just lob more missiles in strategic areas like he did in Libya.

Of course, this would not be a war, just like it was not in Libya. I'm not sure what word is appropriate to use to describe this sort of action, but it definitely is not a war, therefore, Congress need not be consulted or notified in any way........ever again.
  5. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    24 Aug '13 04:223 edits
    From what I hear, neither will there be in Syria. He will just lob more missiles in strategic areas like he did in Libya.

Of course, this would not be a war, just like it was not in Libya. I'm not sure what word is appropriate to use to describe this sort of action, but it definitely is not a war, therefore, Congress need not be consulted or notified in any way........ever again.
    Yes minor actions such as that, are constitutionally well within the sphere of the Commander-in-Chief. Even the constitutionally-questionable War Powers Act does not apply

Of course, ultimately, Congress will have to fund as they did in Libya.
  6. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    24 Aug '13 04:24
    We lack the financial resources for this one. Let the French and the Turks handle this one. 😀
  7. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    24 Aug '13 06:131 edit
    Originally posted by caissad4
    We lack the financial resources for this one. Let the French and the Turks handle this one. 😀
    And the Saudis. But on the other side is Iran and Russia.

Maybe the UK will provide the rebels with weapons like they did for Sea Lab (crude humor):

http://video.adultswim.com/sealab-2021/new-teeth.html
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    24 Aug '13 13:29
    Originally posted by moon1969
    Yes minor actions such as that, are constitutionally well within the sphere of the Commander-in-Chief. Even the constitutionally-questionable War Powers Act does not apply

Of course, ultimately, Congress will have to fund as they did in Libya.
    So lobbing missiles into sovereign countries in order to topple regimes is a minor action?

OK then.
  9. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    25 Aug '13 00:15
    So lobbing missiles into sovereign countries in order to topple regimes is a minor action?

OK then.
    Yes, in terms of magnitude of troops and resources, definitely minor. The Commander-in-Chief has historically handled smaller decisions and commitments.

Yet, again, Congress has to ultimately approve such actions by eventually funding the effort, such as Congress did with Libya and as they would likely do with Syria. Not sure what limited action you are talking about with regard to Egypt.
  10. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    25 Aug '13 00:17

OK then.
    The Commander-in-Chief has waged limited actions on sovereign nations without a declaration of war by Congress since the founding of our country. If you want something different, must amend the Constitution.
  11. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    25 Aug '13 15:01
    I highly doubt that Assad used chemical weapons. He knows the west is looking for an excuse to bomb and wouldn't dare give Obama that excuse. Assad simply is not that stupid.

The terrorists who are lovingly called rebels by the US news media are responsible for the use of chemical weapons. Assad has given the UN full access to do an investigation so it looks like Assad has nothing to hide at all and is eager to show it.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2013/08/24/syria-rebels-chemical-weapons/2695243/

http://www.presstv.ir/detail/2013/08/23/320061/syria-militants-hatched-chemical-plot/
  12. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    27 Aug '13 21:08
    http://news.yahoo.com/un-experts-press-syria-chemical-attacks-probe-073509243.html

"It's a question of days and not weeks," said Ahmad Ramadan, adding that "there have been meetings between the Coalition, the (rebel) Free Syrian Army and allied countries during which possible targets have been discussed."

They included airports, military bases and arms depots, he said.
  13. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    27 Aug '13 21:53

Do you not think the Republicans would bring an inquiry of impeachment against Obama for usurping Congressional powers, if they haven't been complicit in avoiding war declarations ever since the Geneva conventions were signed?
  14. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    28 Aug '13 02:54
    Originally posted by Metal Brain
    I highly doubt that Assad used chemical weapons. He knows the west is looking for an excuse to bomb and wouldn't dare give Obama that excuse. Assad simply is not that stupid.

The terrorists who are lovingly called rebels by the US news media are responsible for the use of chemical weapons. Assad has given the UN full access to do an investigation so ...[text shortened]... 95243/

http://www.presstv.ir/detail/2013/08/23/320061/syria-militants-hatched-chemical-plot/
    Incredibly naive.
  15. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    28 Aug '13 02:55
    Originally posted by JS357
    Do you not think the Republicans would bring an inquiry of impeachment against Obama for usurping Congressional powers, if they haven't been complicit in avoiding war declarations ever since the Geneva conventions were signed?
    The opposition party wanted to Impeach Bush, even after he twice sought and received permission to use military force in Iraq.

The definitions of war have been so bastardized they have no real meaning. When Japan launched an attack of several hundred carrier based fighter/bombers on Pearl Harbor, FDR the next day asked Congress for a declaration of war, and got it. I wonder, and don't know for certain, but I bet that the cruise missiles June 1993 that Bill Clinton ordered fired at Baghdad in his non war amounted to more ordinance than Japan dropped on Pearl.

If anyone fired that much at Washington, DC it would be a war.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree