1. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    23 Jan '14 04:29
    I'm interested in learning the QGA as a response to 1. d4.

Obviously I'm not playing at a grandmaster level so I don't care about whether conventional wisdom alleges that the QGA is "drawish" or not. I just want something reasonably playable that isn't too heavy on theory. Again, I'm playing at a sub-2000 level (more like sub-1500 honestly), so please keep that in mind.

Please let me know of any resources or books you would recommend. Thank you!
  2. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    23 Jan '14 10:37
    I wouldn't play the QGA if I was you, it's a tricky beast to handle. There are several more suitable defences to 1.d4, for example the Kings Indian (which has loads of theory) but which you can get by on with just a few basic principles, or the Dutch or even the Budapest Gambit. The trouble with the QGA is that so often Black ends up grimly holding onto his extra pawn on the queenside and gets stuffed elsewhere on the board.
  3. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    23 Jan '14 11:43
    That's one bizarre graph you've got there...
  4. e4
    Moves
    23 Jan '14 14:21
    Fat lady's reply is I think all the more reason to give it a try. (again....see below)

You get the chance to steer the game your way early on (no point in booking
    up in a variation if you will never see it.) and if it's tricky and a strange beast
    for you then it's tricky for them as well and that level the top trickster wins.
    The ROT (rule of thumb) is don't try and hang onto the pawn.

But you know this.

You have played it in the past as Black. Winning 4 times and losing once.

Game 4233664
  5. Standard memberSteve45
    Mozart
    liverpool
    Moves
    24 Jan '14 01:26
    Originally posted by wittywonka
    I'm interested in learning the QGA as a response to 1. d4.

Obviously I'm not playing at a grandmaster level so I don't care about whether conventional wisdom alleges that the QGA is "drawish" or not. I just want something reasonably playable that isn't too heavy on theory. Again, I'm playing at a sub-2000 level (more like sub-1500 honestly), so please ...[text shortened]... ep that in mind.

Please let me know of any resources or books you would recommend. Thank you!
    Try and catch Dereque Kelley, at Chessopenings.com. He does very helpful and very interesting video,s on all of the major openings.

Steve

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree