1. Joined
    04 Apr '10
    Moves
    26 Apr '15 18:12
    For those that knew him, Mike Lomax (user mikelom) passed away yesterday after a year-long battle with cancer. It was looking good for him, hence his current profile comments, but unfortunately things turned for the worse over the past few days.

Mike had been active on this site for many years and he was a good friend. Many of you will have played him. R.I.P. Mike.
  2. Donationketchuplover
    Isolated Pawn
    Wisconsin USA
    Moves
    26 Apr '15 20:22
    Most sincere condolences to his friends,families,and foes
  3. e4
    Moves
    26 Apr '15 21:442 edits
    This is awful news.

Mike was keeping me up to date with the occasional PM about his progress.
    He always sounded as if he would beat this thing.

He loved his chess and was quick to join in when ever I had a piece of nonsense on the go.

Mike was one of the guys who took in The Duck for a few weeks.

http://www.redhotpawn.com/blog/blogread.php?blogpostid=140

Those days were quite funny, I'll remember them and him fondly.

Very sad news.

R.I.P.
  4. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    26 Apr '15 22:22
    Mike will be sorely missed. He was a great friend and clan mate in Metallica.
    His health issues were always tough on him, but he always pulled through them.
    He had informed the clan only a few weeks ago that he was cancer free.
    Now to hear that he has passed is very hard to take.
    Please keep his wife and family in your thoughts and prayers.

Thank you.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Apr '15 00:16
    Is it possible?
    🙁

I have 2 clan games (*Metallica vs Ronin) with him going on, and in one of them, early in the opening, he sent me a funny message just a month or something ago:
    "Nf3 is really annoying me. Can you please move it? 😀", and it was really interesting, tense game who would outwit whom, I was looking forward to every next move.

Very sad.
  6. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    27 Apr '15 01:481 edit
    It breaks my heart to read this. I knew he was having lots of challenges, but I did not fully appreciate the severity.

We had a bond that formed when we both won a free year's subscription in a contest in the General Forum, and we both passed on it, not knowing that the other person would do the same.

We had completed 16 games here on the site, and we had two pending as part of a Metallica-Morphy's Maniacs challenge.

I had 5 wins, 5 draws, and 6 losses against him, and I was hoping to draw even or maybe go ahead (an ambitious goal, as he was better than me, more than our record suggests due to some generous draw offers on his part), but that will never happen.

He had never lost to me on time, and he never will. We at Morphy's Maniacs will pause and reflect, and come back to play tomorrow.
  7. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    27 Apr '15 02:00
    Mike was a brilliant man. Teacher, writer, poet, artist, ex CEO of at least two major corporations and scholar. He tried to give me chess pointers, his thoughts were far too deep for me to follow. I can only hope my thoughts are able to follow him in the afterlife.
  8. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    27 Apr '15 06:51
    My thoughts are with his family and friends.
  9. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    27 Apr '15 09:31
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    Mike was a brilliant man. Teacher, writer, poet, artist, ex CEO of at least two major corporations and scholar. He tried to give me chess pointers, his thoughts were far too deep for me to follow. I can only hope my thoughts are able to follow him in the afterlife.
    My sentiments as well....
  10. Joined
    04 Apr '10
    Moves
    27 Apr '15 11:47
    Originally posted by grandmasteryoda
    For those that knew him, Mike Lomax (user mikelom) passed away yesterday after a year-long battle with cancer. It was looking good for him, hence his current profile comments, but unfortunately things turned for the worse over the past few days.

Mike had been active on this site for many years and he was a good friend. Many of you will have played him. R.I.P. Mike.
    Just as some further info as I have received some PMs asking for more info, he had actually had the all clear from the cancer just a few weeks back, but had been going back late last week for some further preventative medicine. He had a reaction to the medicine and passed away shortly thereafter in Bangkok, which is where he had been living with his wife for around 10 years. His sister contacted me shortly after to let me know, and I have also been in touch with his late wife, Sunisa, who has obviously taken it very hard.

I had the good fortune of getting to know him very well, and we spoke often. He was a very clever and funny guy and I shall miss him.

And yes, he did once look after the duck for a time, and I have some photos of him with the duck in various places in Bangkok somewhere.

I did not actually know how many people he knew well on here as we never really discussed it, so it's quite touching to see the all comments. What I can say though is that I spoke to him last on Thursday and he was in high spirits, and not suffering at all. He was in fact getting himself back on his feet and was looking forward to playing more chess. R.I.P Mike.
  11. Joined
    08 Apr '09
    Moves
    27 Apr '15 13:32
    It reminds me that chess is played by real people. Even in CC over the internet, how anonymous it can be, someone else is on the other side with their own life, its pleasures and its challenges.

I wish his family and friends the strength they need.
  12. Joined
    04 Apr '10
    Moves
    27 Apr '15 16:42
    Nice touch resigning the games Paul Leggett and Vandervelde. Knowing Mike he'd appreciate the gesture. I've just done the same in our final game, which sadly, we had only just started.
  13. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    27 Apr '15 16:582 edits
    This was shocking and sad news. I'll miss the tough games he gave me and the witty/cheerful quality he brought to the forums.

Here's a game we played that I feel is a fitting tribute to his chess skill. He had white.

14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    27 Apr '15 18:27

We have had a lot of PM's and emails over the years, comparing notes on brilliant guitarists as he is one. I am in shock here, just talked to him a week ago or so.
    RIP, he is already missed for sure. My condolences to his family. He will get a good Thai burial I know. I know how those go, I lived in Thailand for several years myself.
  15. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    28 Apr '15 00:41

"R.I.P. Mike Lomax (mikelom)"
    For additional condolences, please see General Forum Thread 163956 and Spirituality Forum Thread 163957
    Thanks, grandmasteryoda...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree