1. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    31 Dec '13 15:331 edit
    People who receive medicaid have their assets taken from them after death to help repay the debt they owe to the government.

Is this also true for people who collect other public assistance? How about the women who collect WIC? How about people who collect on extended unemployment checks. They paid for the unemployment checks they received when they first lost their jobs, but they did not pay for the extended checks that have been written by the US treasury for years. That was a present from people who wanted to get re-elected.

What is good for one group should be consistent. Why not keep a running tab on every person who receives public assistance and recoup the losses after they die?

Should anyone who receives public assistance be allowed to have assets at all?
  2. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    31 Dec '13 20:01
    Originally posted by Eladar
    People who receive medicaid have their assets taken from them after death to help repay the debt they owe to the government.

Is this also true for people who collect other public assistance? How about the women who collect WIC? How about people who collect on extended unemployment checks. They paid for the unemployment checks they received when they fi ...[text shortened]... fter they die?

Should anyone who receives public assistance be allowed to have assets at all?
    It's an interesting question, but I don't know if it is really common that recipients have tangible real assets. It sounds right that, government (the people) be reimbursed if such assets exist.
  3. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    31 Dec '13 20:24
    Originally posted by normbenign
    It's an interesting question, but I don't know if it is really common that recipients have tangible real assets. It sounds right that, government (the people) be reimbursed if such assets exist.
    If it is true for one program, then it should be true for all.

There are plenty of people receiving WIC who own assets.
  4. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    31 Dec '13 20:34
    Originally posted by Eladar
    If it is true for one program, then it should be true for all.

There are plenty of people receiving WIC who own assets.
    The trouble is that Dems don't even want assistance to be based on income.
  5. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    31 Dec '13 20:38
    The trouble is that Dems don't even want assistance to be based on income.
    Is it your assertion that WIC is not a means test program?
  6. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    31 Dec '13 22:53
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Is it your assertion that WIC is not a means test program?
    No. I would have said so if that was the case. Progressives have long argued against means testing as being dehumanizing.
  7. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    31 Dec '13 23:12
    No. I would have said so if that was the case. Progressives have long argued against means testing as being dehumanizing.
    That is a false claim at least as far as anti-poverty programs are concerned.
  8. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    01 Jan '14 02:08
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    That is a false claim at least as far as anti-poverty programs are concerned.
    Does the government go after people who receive WIC aid like they do people who receive Medicaid aid?
  9. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    01 Jan '14 17:29
    Just wondering here:

Is it a common practice in other countries for governments to estates if a person receives public assistance?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree