1. Maryland
    Moves
    16 Jul '14 23:35
    Ferdinand Magellan: The church says the earth is flat, but I know that it is round, for I have seen the shadow on the moon, and I have more faith in a shadow than in the church.
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    16 Jul '14 23:49
    Originally posted by 667joe
    Ferdinand Magellan: The church says the earth is flat, but I know that it is round, for I have seen the shadow on the moon, and I have more faith in a shadow than in the church.
    "What is the sound of one hand clapping?"

This tells nothing. What about his faith in God? The church is not God.
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    17 Jul '14 11:011 edit
    If someone can at some time correct some in the church concerning some scientific fact Christians should not be bothered. Some church people believed that the earth did not move but every other body in the cosmos moved around the earth. Some were corrected on this by Copernicus.

We can be humble enough to receive correction if we took something wrongly that was written in the Bible about physical science.

This does not mean that the Bible is not the word of God.
    It may mean that that our interpretation of some utterance in the Bible was not correct.

When speaking of the rapture of some watching and prepared believers in the last days, Jesus spoke of some taken during the night while in bed sleeping and some others taken while working in the field presumably in the daytime. This would indicate that under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit Jesus was implying that in the same moment it would be day in one place in the world and night in another place.

This implies a round earth.

" I tell you, In that night there will be two on one bed; the one will be taken and the other will be left.

There will be two women grinding together; the one will be taken but the other will be left.

Two men will be in the field; one will be taken and the other will be left." (Luke 17:24-26)
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    17 Jul '14 11:16
    Ferdinand Magellan came after false teachings were being accepted by the Roman Catholic Church.
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    17 Jul '14 12:55
    That is a made up quote. Ferdinand did not say it.
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    17 Jul '14 13:30
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    That is a made up quote. Ferdinand did not say it.
    How do you know, were you his publicist? 🙂
  7. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    17 Jul '14 13:31
    http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Ferdinand_Magellan
  8. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    17 Jul '14 15:54
    In Magellan's time, the Catholic Church was still in the grip of its anti-science doctrines, but the idea of a flat earth
    wasn't one of them. The church supported the Ptolemaic system, which placed a spherical earth at the center of the universe. Belief in a spherical earth goes back to the ancient Greeks.
  9. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    17 Jul '14 16:17
    Did the church say that the earth was flat?

Or was it just a bunch of people in the church saying that?

A lot of people today, atheists and theists alike, say that evolution is what's making the world go round. But it's not true.

In the beginning God created...
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    17 Jul '14 19:48
    Originally posted by josephw
    Did the church say that the earth was flat?

Or was it just a bunch of people in the church saying that?

A lot of people today, atheists and theists alike, say that evolution is what's making the world go round. But it's not true.

In the beginning God created...
    Evolution is a tool of creation.
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    17 Jul '14 20:58
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Evolution is a tool of creation.
    Evilution is a tool of Satan the Devil.
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    17 Jul '14 21:06
    😴
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    17 Jul '14 21:12
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Evilution is a tool of Satan the Devil.
    How busy will you be in the afterlife apologizing to God if you're wrong?
  14. Cape Town
    Moves
    17 Jul '14 21:15
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    How busy will you be in the afterlife apologizing to God if you're wrong?
    He'll be about as busy as you will be if you are wrong.
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    17 Jul '14 21:46
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    He'll be about as busy as you will be if you are wrong.
    What's the matter, nothing on TV?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree