1. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    22 Apr '14 22:19
    http://news.yahoo.com/u-s--sends-600-troops-to-poland--baltics-in-message-to-russia-over-ukraine-175716068.html

Isn't this how Vietnam started?
  2. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    22 Apr '14 22:371 edit
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    http://news.yahoo.com/u-s--sends-600-troops-to-poland--baltics-in-message-to-russia-over-ukraine-175716068.html

Over here in Europe where the border ends at Poland, NATO has been building up troops in the Ex soviet states Like Lithuania for a little while. War in the Ukraine seems inevitable now, especially after two Pro west politicians were found Tortured and killed earlier today.

Thanks for noticing.

edit - http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-27118875
  3. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    23 Apr '14 00:02

I grew up with a great-uncle who had migrated from Lithuania around 1900 and I can tell you that a real fear exists there concerning Russia and its' territorial ambitions. This is nothing like Vietnam. The Vietnamese had been fighting for centuries to be free and the West was trying to split them up.
  4. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    23 Apr '14 07:46

600 troops to do what?

It's all for show and Putin knows it. If our president can sit back and do nothing while a U.S. ambassador in Benghazi gets wasted, then why should I believe he's truly concerned about helping anyone? If anything the U.S. has been helping Putin in his recent efforts at a land grab. I doubt those 600 troops will be allowed to do anything other than to stand around and look impressive. Putin will not be impressed, but this show of force isn't really meant for him... they've been sent there to impress us, not the Russians.
  5. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    23 Apr '14 11:16
    Obama has just confirmed to Japan that islands that are part of a terratorial despute with china, are covered in their bilateral defence agreement. You will be pleased with that.
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    23 Apr '14 12:00
    Originally posted by lemon lime
    600 troops to do what?

It's all for show and Putin knows it. If our president can sit back and do nothing while a U.S. ambassador in Benghazi gets wasted, then why should I believe he's truly concerned about helping anyone? If anything the U.S. has been helping Putin in his recent efforts at a land grab. I doubt those 600 troops will be allowed to do a ...[text shortened]... force[/i] isn't really meant for him... they've been sent there to impress us, not the Russians.
    That's my point. It's only 600 troops, but their role there is to help train the indigenous troops, presumably through their NATO ties. In Vietnam, the first American troops there, also few in number, were sent in an 'advisor' role through their SEATO ties.

This is how I meant, "Isn't this how Vietnam started?"
  7. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    23 Apr '14 14:34
    That's my point. It's only 600 troops, but their role there is to help train the indigenous troops, presumably through their NATO ties. In Vietnam, the first American troops there, also few in number, were sent in an 'advisor' role through their SEATO ties.

Hopefully for your (American's) sake it doesn't end that way too.
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Apr '14 14:51
    Originally posted by Great Big Stees
    Hopefully for your (American's) sake it doesn't end that way too.
    From the book of right on.
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 Apr '14 15:02

No, in that case they sent the troops to Viet Nam not poland🙂
  10. Joined
    22 May '10
    Moves
    23 Apr '14 15:07
    Like Vietnam,the majority of locals in Crimea support Russia and want away from the west and Eu.Sure Russia is not motivated ethically. A little birdie told me a Russian president gave away Crimea in a drunken bet.But where is nato and Obama in Syria?How many people are dying there compared to Crimea? (146,000 dead ,a million displaced vs 3)Where is Obama?Playing strategic games?
  11. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    23 Apr '14 21:01

Yeah, you're right. That is how Vietnam got started. But it never would have been more than a handful of advisors over there if one of our presidents hadn't started sending in our own troops. And the next president didn't help matters when he escalated our part in that war by sending in many more active troops. Some people objected to simply sending in advisors for training and supplying weapons, because of how it could open the door to what did happen later.

Based on how we've seen Obama deal with other issues, I think he's simply trying to appease both sides of this. After sending in troops to appease people who are unhappy with Putins land grab he'll probably announce at some later date that "stability has been achieved", or some other such nonsense, and start pulling troops out to appease the anti war crowd.
  12. This is embarrasking
    Moves
    27 Apr '14 01:47
    Originally posted by lemon lime
    Yeah, you're right. That is how Vietnam got started. But it never would have been more than a handful of advisors over there if one of our presidents hadn't started sending in our own troops. And the next president didn't help matters when he escalated our part in that war by sending in many more active troops. Some people objected to simply sendin ...[text shortened]... ieved", or some other such nonsense, and start pulling troops out to appease the anti war crowd.
    They all start the same way. One side does something stupid and the other side does too. I don't know, this thing is starting to look like it could escalate into WW3.
  13. This is embarrasking
    Moves
    27 Apr '14 02:171 edit
    Debates
    Potentially heated discussions on topics such as world affairs, politics and other such areas of interest

I'm thinking maybe this thread should be moved too.

Pepe Le Pew would not be happy with you.
  14. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    27 Apr '14 05:041 edit
    Originally posted by cashthetrash
    They all start the same way. One side does something stupid and the other side does too. I don't know, this thing is starting to look like it could escalate into WW3.
    Russia doesn't need to start a world war, because they could do to us what Ronald Reagan did to them. And if China followed suit then it's a sure bet they could both (working together) bankrupt the U.S. We've put ourselves in a very vulnerable position. Don't ask me why we've done this to ourselves, because I don't know. Maybe the U.S. has become so fat and lazy we just don't care anymore... that's as good an explanation as any.
  15. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    27 Apr '14 05:10
    Pepe Le Pew?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree