1. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    15 Mar '13 16:315 edits
    At the time of the incoming site update going live a few things will be removed, as documented in this thread.

"PlayTheImmortalGame.com" is to be retired. This skinned version of RHP was created in 2006 to help promote the book "The Immortal Game". Very few people use it now, and it creates additional work, so it will be vanishing

The domain will continue to redirect to RHP in the future.

"timeforchess.com", "chessatwork.com" and "redhotchess.com" all will continue with the new site.
  2. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    15 Mar '13 16:412 edits
    mobile.redhotpawn.com will be removed in its current form.

iphone.redhotpawn.com will remain available.

A single replacement will appear on both of these domains in the future.
  3. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    15 Mar '13 17:191 edit
    A number of the supported "novelty" chess sets will be dropped. If you are one of the few people affected by this, you will be assigned another set by default. The list of culled sets will appear here shortly.
  4. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    22 Mar '13 15:18
    Originally posted by Russ
    "PlayTheImmortalGame.com" is to be retired. This skinned version of RHP was created in 2006 to help promote the book "The Immortal Game". Very few people use it now, and it creates additional work, so it will be vanishing
    Esthetically, I think PTIG has the most eye appeal of all the versions offered.

Would you consider transplanting the blue skin to one of the versions being retained?
  5. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    22 Mar '13 16:44
    Originally posted by HandyAndy
    Esthetically, I think PTIG has the most eye appeal of all the versions offered.

Would you consider transplanting the blue skin to one of the versions being retained?
    If others feel the same way as you, it can live on in some form. I honestly didn't think anyone would really notice if it went away.
  6. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    22 Mar '13 16:501 edit
    Status of the sets.

Sets will be removed where adoption is low and/or original contributors are not available to update their work.

rival Removed
    medieval Removed
    jap Removed
    gopherr Removed
    round Removed
    halloween Removed

The following will be refreshed with a new design, but will retain similarities with the original.

news Redesigned
    wood Redesigned

I have some very nice new sets to add though, so from the sacrifice of the above, there should be at least 3 additions.
  7. Joined
    16 Dec '04
    Moves
    22 Mar '13 17:02
    If others feel the same way as you, it can live on in some form. I honestly didn't think anyone would really notice if it went away.
    I am a PTIG devotee.....mainly based on the colour scheme as well. If you can keep the colours somehow I won't be disappointed.
  8. Joined
    17 Nov '12
    Moves
    23 Mar '13 15:55
    I too use PTIG. Would be sad to see it go.
  9. SubscriberRagwort
    Senecio Jacobaea
    Yorkshire
    Moves
    23 Mar '13 16:24
    I'm a fan of the blue too!
  10. Joined
    25 Jul '07
    Moves
    23 Mar '13 16:59
    Me too! I find the red of RHP and the yellow of CAW a bit garish - the blue of PTIG is relaxing.

Not that bothered about the name of the site, but please keep the blue!
  11. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    23 Mar '13 17:28

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

12. SubscriberC J Horse
    A stable personality
    Near my hay.
    Moves
    23 Mar '13 17:47
    PTIG for me right from the start! Please, please keep it.
  13. Donationketchuplover
    Isolated Pawn
    Wisconsin USA
    Moves
    23 Mar '13 18:49
    Immortal Blue for supreme world leader!
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    23 Mar '13 21:522 edits
    The following will be refreshed with a new design, but will retain similarities with the original.

[b]news
    Redesigned
    [/b]
    Noooooooooo!!

I have *only* used the newspaper set since coming to RHP 8+ years ago. It is the exact same set used in most chess books... It is as familiar as an old friend. One reason I like it is because it does not crowd the squares with the pieces, the board never gets a "cluttered" look because of this. I hope that the new set will not be vastly different, only having "similarities" to the old set is not good enough! PLEASE, please keep this set!!
  15. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    23 Mar '13 22:16
    I like PTIG the best. Keeing the color scheme would be fine.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree