1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    30 Jun '15 20:04
    I have a nice set of binoculars (20X80) with solar filters on it and I was able to show three of my teenage grandkids new sunspots, 2 big ones close together on the sun. One of them kind of blew its nose and spread the sunspot sunsnot all the way to Earth and there were some great aurorae up north!
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    02 Jul '15 19:23
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I have a nice set of binoculars (20X80) with solar filters on it and I was able to show three of my teenage grandkids new sunspots, 2 big ones close together on the sun. One of them kind of blew its nose and spread the sunspot sunsnot all the way to Earth and there were some great aurorae up north!
    Well, I am quite up north right now, and there are no aurora visible. Because north of the polar circle (where I am) the sky is way too bright to see any aurorae at all, even at the solar mid night. (But it would be nice thou.)

But if you mean aurora australis, down south of the planet, there might be a spectacular view!
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    04 Jul '15 17:21
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Well, I am quite up north right now, and there are no aurora visible. Because north of the polar circle (where I am) the sky is way too bright to see any aurorae at all, even at the solar mid night. (But it would be nice thou.)

But if you mean aurora australis, down south of the planet, there might be a spectacular view!
    Here are some outstanding images of just that, recently, of the Aurora Australis:

From APOD

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap150704.html

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree