1. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    24 Oct '14 16:581 edit
    Probably old news to everyone here, but if anyone of you are as incompetent in physics as I am, you'll find this incredibly interesting. I'd explain it for those of you who doesn't want to, or can't watch youtube vids, but I honestly don't understand half of what he's talking about. I'm just sitting there gaping as the magnet toy train thingy runs along the tracks, feeling like a little kid thinking: I want one of those to play with. My friends will think I'm awesome, if I could just get one of those! Anyway, here's the link...

Levitating Superconductor on a Möbius strip: YouTube
  2. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    24 Oct '14 17:10
    Originally posted by C Hess
    Probably old news to everyone here, but if anyone of you are as incompetent in physics as I am, you'll find this incredibly interesting. I'd explain it for those of you who doesn't want to, or can't watch youtube vids, but I honestly don't understand half of what he's talking about. I'm just sitting there gaping as the magnet toy train thingy runs along the t ...[text shortened]... , here's the link...

Levitating Superconductor on a Möbius strip: http://youtu.be/zPqEEZa2Gis
    There's quite a few videos like that on YouTube, and I agree they are fun. Did they talk about pinching? A superconductor won't admit a magnetic field, basically it induces supercurrents which cancel out an applied magnetic field. But during the superconducting transition a magnetic field penetrating the material is squeezed into a small region where the material is not superconducting. Yes, I'd like one as well, in fact I'd like the railways to run on that effect.

Also fun are the videos about supercooled water (just search for supercooled water and you'll find one).
  3. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    25 Oct '14 07:44
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    Also fun are the videos about supercooled water (just search for supercooled water and you'll find one).
    Yeah that was fun. And it had an explanation that I could understand. I smart am. 😏
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    25 Oct '14 11:17
    Originally posted by C Hess
    Yeah that was fun. And it had an explanation that I could understand. I smart am. 😏
    I learned something new also. I liked the magnet falling through the copper tube. Didn't know that would happen, slowing down like that through electromagnetic interactions. That was a good takeaway.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree