1. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    03 May '15 14:13
    It's on its last legs and the rats are gonna jump ship like the little turds they are.

Aye, it's not every day I get to read such uplifting news!

I quote thee:
    Everybody said globalisation was the future of industry. Everybody was wrong. Globalisation “is proving a barely-profitable and perplexing strategy for most companies”. Markets are closing, profit margins are falling, cost-savings are being competed away. “What was until recently a taboo topic inside multinationals – to wit, should we reconsider, even rein in, our global growth strategy? ‒ has become an urgent, if still hushed, discussion”. (Jeffrey Rothfeder, Washington Post, 2,530 words)
  2. Germany
    Moves
    03 May '15 14:27
    No, it's not.
  3. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    03 May '15 14:30
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    No, it's not.
    You know nothing KazetNagorra Snow!
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    03 May '15 14:48
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    It's on its last legs and the rats are gonna jump ship like the little turds they are.

I quote thee:
    Everybody said globalisation was the future of industry. Everybody was wrong. Globalisation “is proving a barely-profitable and perplexing strategy for most companies”. Markets are closing, p ...[text shortened]... ecome an urgent, if still hushed, discussion”. (Jeffrey Rothfeder, Washington Post, 2,530 words)
    Do you really expect any human endevour to last?

We are but dust in the wind, awaiting some savior to promise something that will last forever.

Humanity is bound and determined to find their utopia.
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    03 May '15 14:54
    Speaking of trying to find utopia, I began re-reading Mark Levin's "Ameritopia" as I began to recall some of the book. Looking at the civil unrest in the US, certain quotes came to mind

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Tyranny, broadly defined, is the use of power to dehumanize the individual and delegitimize his nature. Political utopianism is tyranny disguised as a desirable, workable, and even paradisiacal governing ideology. There are, of course, unlimited utopian constructs, for the mind is capable of infinite fantasies. but there are common themes. These fantasies take the form of grand social plans or experimentation, the impractibility and impossibility of which, in small ways and large, leads to the individual subjugation.

A heavenly society is said to be in reach if only the individual surrender more of his liberty and being for the general good, meaning the good as prescribed by the state. If he refuses, he will be tormented and ultimately coerced into compliance, for conformity is essential.

Especially threatening, therefore, are the industrious, independent, and successful, for they demonstrate what is actually possible under current social conditions -- achievement, happiness, and fulfillment -- thereby contradicting and endangering the utopian campaign against what was or is.

Utopianism also attempts to shape and dominate the individual by doing two things at once; it strips the individual of his uniqueness, making him indistinguishable from the multitudes that form what is commonly referred to as "the masses", but it simultaneously assigns him a group identity based on race, ethnicity, age, gender, income etc., to highlight differences within the masses. It then exacerbates old rivalries and disputes or it incites new ones. This way it can speak to well-being of "the people" as a whole while dividing them against themselves, thereby stampeding them in one direction or another as necessary to collapse the existing society or rule over the new one.

Where utopianism is advanced through gradualism rather than revolution, albeit steady and persistant as in democratic societies, it can deceive and disarm an unsuspecting population, which is largely content and passive.

Rather than cultivating a moral society and individual virtuousness, whether through faith, education, or sociability, and building on the accumulated experience and wisdom of earlier generations, utopianism breeds dishonesty not good character; it encourages ideology not reason; it rewards rashness not reflection; it attracts fanatics not statesmen; and it is transformative not reformative. As the world around him grows increasingly unpredictable and hostile, and the moral order of the civil society frays and then unravels, the individual may feel that his daily survival depends on abandoning his own moral nature and teaching, including prudence, self restraint, and forethought. He may become radicalized and join the ranks of the predators, or become isolated and conniving, hoping to avoid notice. He may become dispirited and detached, resigned to a life of misery. He may defiantly stand his moral ground, in which case he may become the predators' prey. in any event, the law of the jungle becomes the law of the land as the civil society disintegrates."
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    03 May '15 14:57
    Everyone can see the global economy on the verge of collapse, and when it does, what will be offerred in its stead is more utopia if only we surrender more of our freedoms.

I think it to be intentional. Crisis is the catalyst for collectivism.
  7. Germany
    Moves
    03 May '15 15:06
    Originally posted by whodey
    I began re-reading Mark Levin's "Ameritopia"
    Careful what you post, whodey. You might get sued for defamation.
  8. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    04 May '15 01:04

I quote thee:
    Everybody said globalisation was the future of industry. Everybody was wrong. Globalisation “is proving a barely-profitable and perplexing strategy for most companies”. Markets are closing, p ...[text shortened]... ecome an urgent, if still hushed, discussion”. (Jeffrey Rothfeder, Washington Post, 2,530 words)
    I'm not sure about this. Globalization has hurt some areas, no doubt, but has helped others. I think the jury is still out on this one.
  9. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    04 May '15 01:231 edit

I quote thee:
    For businesses large and small, the idea of expanding into new markets is intriguing, and promising, but not without risks. Any expansion of a currently successful business has its possible downsides, even within a national jurisdiction. Going abroad just adds significant new risks, and possible rewards.
  10. Joined
    23 Nov '11
    Moves
    04 May '15 12:36
    The danger posed by the concentration of global economic power in the hands of very few individuals is the same that faces life forms when their genetic pool becomes too limited. If a dozen, maybe fewer, of the individuals who have this immense economic power all happen to coincidentally, no conspiracy theory here, make a very poor economic decision, they could inadvertently cause an international economic depression rather quickly. Check out this very interesting TED talk. http://www.ted.com/talks/james_b_glattfelder_who_controls_the_world
  11. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    05 May '15 16:51
    Originally posted by Phranny
    The danger posed by the concentration of global economic power in the hands of very few individuals is the same that faces life forms when their genetic pool becomes too limited. If a dozen, maybe fewer, of the individuals who have this immense economic power all happen to coincidentally, no conspiracy theory here, make a very poor economic decision, they c ...[text shortened]... very interesting TED talk. http://www.ted.com/talks/james_b_glattfelder_who_controls_the_world
    If these mega rich people, are in danger of losing their own money, what is the problem?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree