1. Standard memberbeauroberts
    Father of Three
    New Hampshire
    Moves
    19 Feb '14 04:18
    When is it considered bad form to offer a draw? When is it considered bad form to turn down a draw? I may be in a situation in which a draw is appropriate and so I have offered but it has been denied. I may try to force a draw...The game is still ongoing so I wont post a link just yet...but after it is over perhaps I will post to see if and when it was appropriate.

Beau
  2. e4
    Moves
    19 Feb '14 04:42
    Here we are again, the dreaded 'game in progress'.

It's best to wait till the game is over and then you can post the game and
    others can give an answer based on the game wether it was bad form or not.

Generally speaking if you offer a draw and it's been knocked back just get on with the game.
    One draw offer is not going to offend anyone.

On here Two, three, four, five or 20 draw offers on the trot would not offend me.
    If I wanted to play on, I'd ignore them and move.

OTB is a different matter. Then usually one draw offer will not offend.
    But keep offering draws in an OTB game is deemed bad form and can get you a warning from a TC.

Some fragile souls get upset if offered a draw when they are clearly winning but these guys need to lighten up.
  3. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    19 Feb '14 06:17
    Originally posted by beauroberts
    When is it considered bad form to offer a draw? When is it considered bad form to turn down a draw? I may be in a situation in which a draw is appropriate and so I have offered but it has been denied. I may try to force a draw...The game is still ongoing so I wont post a link just yet...but after it is over perhaps I will post to see if and when it was appropriate.

Beau
    What he (GP) said.
    I personally do not think there is any "bad form" in RHP games.
    Whatever is allowed by the rules is kosher.
    I am not offended by any draw offer.
    I am not offended by any draw refusal (sometimes disappointed).

OTB and blitz are a little different.
  4. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    20 Feb '14 05:161 edit
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Here we are again, the dreaded 'game in progress'.

It's best to wait till the game is over and then you can post the game and
    others can give an answer based on the game wether it was bad form or not.

Generally speaking if you offer a draw and it's been knocked back just get on with the game.
    One draw offer is not going to offend anyone.

On h ...[text shortened]... uls get upset if offered a draw when they are clearly winning but these guys need to lighten up.
    Where in the rulebook does it say not to talk about games in Progress? Or is it only some type of Chess etiquette? Because if it is people break all the other rules of chess etiquette so why would it matter?

I remember once at a tournament I was beating a kid and all the other kids were trying to give him advice on where to move but I didn't really care because I was going to beat him anyways.
  5. Standard memberRBHILL
    California
    Moves
    20 Feb '14 05:181 edit

Beau
    I see you got 2 draw offers and you are basically down in both of them. I personally dont offer draws but if i did i would only offer a draw if it becomes three move repetition or if you(i) /even in pieces.
  6. Standard memberbeauroberts
    Father of Three
    New Hampshire
    Moves
    20 Feb '14 05:58

Beau
    Game 10479989 when was it appropriate and when should it have been played out?
  7. Standard memberRBHILL
    California
    Moves
    20 Feb '14 16:50
    Game 10479989 when was it appropriate and when should it have been played out?
    To me this was a good draw.
  8. e4
    Moves
    21 Feb '14 05:371 edit
    Hi RB.

Where in the rulebook does it say not to talk about games in Progress?"

RHP terms of service.

(b) While a game is in progress you may not refer to chess engines,
    chess computers or be assisted by a third party.

Asking question about a game in progress is asking for assistance, though
    in this case the lad was obscure enough not to actually mention the game
    else the thread will have been pulled.
  9. Joined
    31 Jan '06
    Moves
    22 Feb '14 10:59
    I agree with the rule about "getting help" during a game on that same game. If I lost because someone "helped" my opponent "think" out of his or her normal thinking mode, then that is bias.

However, what if someone talks about another chess game, or chess opening, or whatever chess in general, and it leads to the opponent seeing one of his or her RHP chess games differently to the extent that he or she draws or wins? Is this considered cheating? I hope not.

Where do we draw the line on chess learning and conversation while we are playing an RHP chess game so that we are not considered to be cheating?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree