1. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    05 Jan '14 19:22
    Insurance is a business is it not?

If the US government is going to offer insurance (in this case unemployment insurance), then isn't it going into business?

If it really isn't insurance, then why is the government allowed to call it insurance? Isn't this fraud?

It would be great to go into business then set your rates and demand that everyone buy it. It is great to be a government in business for itself.
  2. Germany
    Moves
    05 Jan '14 19:45
    The answers to your questions are "no" and "no" respectively. Any more questions?
  3. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    05 Jan '14 20:02
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    The answers to your questions are "no" and "no" respectively. Any more questions?
    Insurance isn't a business?
  4. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    05 Jan '14 21:07
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Insurance isn't a business?
    By your logic the Medicare and Medicaid programs are businesses.
  5. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    05 Jan '14 21:33
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    I suppose they are.

Should the US government be in business?
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    05 Jan '14 23:00

If the US government is going to offer insurance (in this case unemployment insurance), then isn't it going into business?

If it really isn't insurance, then why is the government allowed to call it insurance? Isn't this fraud?

It would be great to go into business then set your rates and demand that everyone buy it. It is great to be a government in business for itself.
    The government now micromanages pretty much every aspect of the insurance industry. All that is left to do is change the sign on the door to "Gov. Insurance".
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    05 Jan '14 23:02
    I suppose they are.

Should the US government be in business?
    Ask the Post Office..........er.........um...........no.
  8. Standard membersmw6869
    Granny
    Parts Unknown
    Moves
    06 Jan '14 00:33
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    können Sie Fliegen zu fangen?

GRANNY.
  9. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    06 Jan '14 03:44
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    They are, but insolvent ones.
  10. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    06 Jan '14 03:45
    Originally posted by whodey
    The government now micromanages pretty much every aspect of the insurance industry. All that is left to do is change the sign on the door to "Gov. Insurance".
    Most government insurance regulation has historically been at the State level.
  11. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    06 Jan '14 08:42

Funny isn't (hahaha) how the usual loons all cry, mutter, wring their hands in anguish about free market monopolies but are class a1 fanboys for the biggest baddest monopoly of all.
  12. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    06 Jan '14 17:53
    Originally posted by Wajoma
    Funny isn't (hahaha) how the usual loons all cry, mutter, wring their hands in anguish about free market monopolies but are class a1 fanboys for the biggest baddest monopoly of all.
    I am of the opinion that you need to have the right balance of intelligence to actually see the problem. If you are deficient in either abstract or perceptive IQ you can be easily duped by the government's smoke and mirrors.

Many people who believe themselves to be very intelligent are only intelligent in the abstract realm, but are very low in common sense.

In case people don't know about the four types of IQ here is a link that explains:

http://www.eugeneinhomecare.com/different-types-of-iq/
  13. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    06 Jan '14 17:58

Maybe this will help (though I doubt it):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_insurance
  14. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    06 Jan '14 18:00
    Originally posted by normbenign
    They are, but insolvent ones.
    Virtually all private insurance companies are "insolvent" if you use the same definition that right wingers use for Medicare and Social Security:

private life insurance companies set their annual premiums against likely costs in the coming year and do not project future premiums and expenditure 70 years into the future as Medicare is forced to do.

15. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    06 Jan '14 20:14
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Maybe this will help (though I doubt it):

Right yeah, I've heard about this No1:

SOCIAL CONTRACT
    between an individual and the United States Government

WHEREAS I wish to reside on the North American continent, and

WHEREAS the United States Government controls the area of the continent on which I wish to reside, and

WHEREAS tacit or implied contracts are vague and therefore unenforceable,

I agree to the following terms:

SECTION 1: I will surrender a percentage of my property to the Government. The actual percentage will be determined by the Government and will be subject to change at any time. The amount to be surrendered may be based on my income, the value of my pro- perty, the value of my purchases, or any other criteria the Government chooses. To aid the Government in determining the percentage, I will apply for a Government identification number that I will use in all my major financial transactions.

SECTION 2: Should the Government demand it, I will surrender my liberty for a period of time determined by the government and typically no shorter than two years. During that time, I will serve the Government in any way it chooses, including military service in which I may be called upon to sacrifice my life.

SECTION 3: I will limit my behavior as demanded by the govern- ment. I will consume only those drugs permitted by the Govern- ment. I will limit my sexual activities to those permitted by the Government. I will forsake religious beliefs that conflict with the Government's determination of propriety. More limits may be imposed at any time.

SECTION 4: In consideration for the above, the Government will permit me to find employment, subject to limits that will be determined by the Government. These limits may restrict my choice of career or the wages I may accept.

SECTION 5: The Government will permit me to reside in the area of North America which it controls. Also, the Government will permit me to speak freely, subject to limits determined by the Government's Congress and Supreme Court.

SECTION 6: The Government will attempt to protect my life and my claim to the property it has allowed me to keep. I agree not to hold the Government liable if it fails to protect me or my property.

SECTION 7: The Government will offer various services to me. The nature and extent of these services will be determined by the Government and are subject to change at any time.

SECTION 8: The Government will determine whether I may vote for certain Government officials. The influence of my vote will vary inversely with the number of voters, and I understand that it typically will be minuscule. I agree not to hold any elected Government officials liable for acting against my best interests or for breaking promises, even if those promises motivated me to vote for them.

SECTION 9: I agree that the Government may hold me fully liable if I fail to abide by the above terms. In that event, the Government may confiscate any property that I have not previously surrendered to it, and may imprison me for a period of time to be determined by the Government. I also agree that the Government may alter the terms of this contract at any time without my permission.

---------------------------------- ---------------

signature date

Copyright 1989 by Robert E. Alexander.

May be distributed freely.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree