1. Donationketchuplover
    Isolated Pawn
    Wisconsin USA
    Moves
    10 Apr '15 21:27
    was forfeited for having a note (reportedly self-affirming) on an extra piece of paper under his score sheet today. He had been warned twice previously.
  2. Joined
    18 Feb '10
    Moves
    11 Apr '15 12:01
    That's a bit shocking, but if he'd had a couple of warnings already, I suppose the arbiter had no choice. It will certainly spoil the tournament if he finishes within a point of the winner (or within two points if the winner is the person he forfeited against).
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Apr '15 12:24
    Originally posted by ketchuplover
    was forfeited for having a note (reportedly self-affirming) on an extra piece of paper under his score sheet today. He had been warned twice previously.
    Its difficult to understand how he was unaware that you cannot take notes, even a patzer like me knows that and especially as he was warned previously on two occasions.
  4. Joined
    18 Feb '10
    Moves
    11 Apr '15 13:48
    Lots of interesting stuff about this story on chess.com:
    http://www.chess.com/news/breaking-wesley-so-forfeited-in-round-9-9186

I'm amazed that he ignored the first two warnings, and even more amazed that he needed to make these sort of innocuous notes in the first place!
  5. Joined
    12 Nov '06
    Moves
    12 Apr '15 00:25
    Maybe at the next event he will have "double check triple check use your time" tattooed on the back of his hand.
  6. Donationketchuplover
    Isolated Pawn
    Wisconsin USA
    Moves
    12 Apr '15 12:49
    Originally posted by KnightStalker47
    Maybe at the next event he will have "double check triple check use your time" tattooed on the back of his hand.
    thus prompting the arbiter to grab a hatchet
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Apr '15 16:38
    Originally posted by Data Fly
    Lots of interesting stuff about this story on chess.com:
    http://www.chess.com/news/breaking-wesley-so-forfeited-in-round-9-9186

I'm amazed that he ignored the first two warnings, and even more amazed that he needed to make these sort of innocuous notes in the first place!
    Those notes were like something a 12 year old beginner would have, not what you'd expect from a GM.
  8. Standard membersundown316
    The Mighty Messenger
    The Wood of N'Kai
    Moves
    13 Apr '15 02:44
    Congrats to Nakamura for winning the US Championship-now if he can only find a way to win a game off of Carlsen!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree