1. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    28 Aug '14 01:45
    I am not talking about the afterlife per se, but the instant in which the body ceases to be. I get anxious to think about that moment, and ponder... is there a more chilling instant than the nanosecond when we cease "to be"?
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Aug '14 02:19
    Originally posted by Seitse
    [Is] there a more chilling instant than the nanosecond when we cease "to be"?
    Yes. The moment you realize your children have gone missing on a busy city street or a crowded beach, or that they have wondered out of the house and no one has seen them for 30 mins. Most parents would sacrifice their lives in a heartbeat to save their children from mortal danger so the "chilling instant" when such a decision would made is presumably more chilling than the thought of one's own death.
  3. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    28 Aug '14 17:05
    Originally posted by FMF
    Yes. The moment you realize your children have gone missing on a busy city street or a crowded beach, or that they have wondered out of the house and no one has seen them for 30 mins. Most parents would sacrifice their lives in a heartbeat to save their children from mortal danger so the "chilling instant" when such a decision would made is presumably more chilling than the thought of one's own death.
    Have to agree! 🙂
  4. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    29 Aug '14 11:31
    Originally posted by Seitse
    I am not talking about the afterlife per se, but the instant in which the body ceases to be. I get anxious to think about that moment, and ponder... is there a more chilling instant than the nanosecond when we cease "to be"?
    "...is there a more chilling instant than the nanosecond when we cease "to be?"

After pondering on that question, I would have to say yes there is.

The nanosecond after one ceases to be comes the moment of realization that you still are. For some that moment will come as a total surprise, as they had staked their life on there not being anything after death.
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    29 Aug '14 11:381 edit
    First a disclaimer: I have never died. So I cannot with great authority of experience tell you. I do not know.

But there is something that I do know by experience. When you step off the throne of your ego and tell Jesus Christ that you want Him to take His rightful place as the Lord, you don't have to worry.

At the moment you say " Lord Jesus. Lord Jesus Christ, My Lord" you will taste a deep death AND RESURRECTION in your personality already. It is as if you have already died and already been not only resurrected by ascended and exalted too.

Receiving Christ as Lord in your heart nullifies the dread of death because in a real sense you have already died with Him and raised with Him too.
  6. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    29 Aug '14 13:18
    Originally posted by sonship
    First a disclaimer: I have never died. So I cannot with great authority of experience tell you. I do not know.

But there is something that I do know by experience. When you step off the throne of your ego and tell Jesus Christ that you want Him to take His rightful place as the Lord, you don't have to worry.

At the moment you say [b]" Lord Jesus. Lo ...[text shortened]... of death because in a real sense you have already died with Him and [b] raised
    with Him too.[/b]
    I think your brain has already died, dude.
  7. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    29 Aug '14 13:23
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    I can't believe my eyes. You still among the living? lol
  8. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    29 Aug '14 14:54
    I suspect that in most cases it is like the moment we fall into a dreamless sleep, unless we are already so sedated that death happens during that sleep-like state.

I know someone who spent about a month in an induced coma. Had zero memory of it including zero memory of dreaming. If he had died during that month long coma, one of two things would have happened at the moment of death:

non-theistic view: nothing, although some non-theistic traditions allow for reincarnation.

theistic view: various alternatives, including nothing, waking up immediately in a perfected state, waking up in a divine courtroom, waking up eventually but not immediately, etc.
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    29 Aug '14 16:41
    Originally posted by JS357
    I suspect that in most cases it is like the moment we fall into a dreamless sleep, unless we are already so sedated that death happens during that sleep-like state.

I know someone who spent about a month in an induced coma. Had zero memory of it including zero memory of dreaming. If he had died during that month long coma, one of two things would have happe ...[text shortened]... perfected state, waking up in a divine courtroom, waking up eventually but not immediately, etc.
    I agree, though someone once told me if you are bad, you die and end up in an empty garage in Buffalo..🙂
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    29 Aug '14 22:22
    Why do you think that ?
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    29 Aug '14 22:26

" If my life sucked any more than it did already you'd be able to call destiny a prostitute." - shavixmir

Sorry to hear that.

Far from being brain dead I am very much enjoying my whole soul - mind, emotion and will living with the Lord Jesus.
  12. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    29 Aug '14 22:37
    Originally posted by sonship

[b]" If my life sucked any more than it did already you'd be able to call destiny a prostitute." - shavixmir

Sorry to hear that.

Far from being brain dead I am very much enjoying my whole soul - mind, emotion and will living with the Lord Jesus.[/b]
    Whatever floats our boats, so long as it doesn't require sinking other peaceable ones.
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    30 Aug '14 17:521 edit
    Originally posted by JS357
    Whatever floats our boats, so long as it doesn't require sinking other peaceable ones.
    Oh no ! Your moral relativism sinks my peaceable boat of moral absolutes.
    Now what ?

"Tough cookies dude. Be tolerant" ?
  14. Joined
    10 Apr '12
    Moves
    01 Oct '14 23:53
    Ecclesiastes 9:5 says, "The dead know nothing at all."
  15. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    02 Oct '14 00:13
    Originally posted by roigam
    Ecclesiastes 9:5 says, "The dead know nothing at all."
    Welcome back, roigam.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree