1. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    29 Jan '15 01:141 edit
    The charges for the following reported crime if proven could result in state prison for 1 - 10 years. What do you think? Why?

http://www.mercurynews.com/crime-courts/ci_27402896/san-jose-jogger-killed-alleged-street-race-remembered

SAN JOSE -- Like she had all her life, Kiran Pabla spent her last moments doting on her family.

Right around noon Monday, the 24-year-old San Jose native was out on a jog and called her grandmother, who had been out of town the past couple of months visiting relatives in Bakersfield. Among those relatives was Pabla's aunt, Anu Mohan.

Seconds later, Pabla was dead at the hands of two drivers in a suspected street race on Yerba Buena Road whose cars barreled down the road, soon colliding and bouncing off a guardrail before careening right into the graduate of nearby Silver Creek High School, pinning her against a tree, according to police. Pabla was less than a mile from home.

"She just went for a jog," Mohan said.

Two San Jose men have been jailed in connection with the crash. Gabriel Becerra Esparza, 18, was driving the Nissan Altima that hit Pabla, and 23-year-old Manuel Anthony Maldonado-Avalos was driving the BMW sedan that he was allegedly racing, police said. Both were booked on suspicion of vehicular manslaughter with gross negligence and reckless driving causing great bodily injury after police say they were traveling more than 70 mph.

...more at link
  2. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    29 Jan '15 02:21
    Originally posted by JS357
    The charges for the following reported crime if proven could result in state prison for 1 - 10 years. What do you think? Why?

http://www.mercurynews.com/crime-courts/ci_27402896/san-jose-jogger-killed-alleged-street-race-remembered

SAN JOSE -- Like she had all her life, Kiran Pabla spent her last moments doting on her family.

Right around noon Monday, ...[text shortened]... ng great bodily injury after police say they were traveling more than 70 mph.

...more at link
    Illegal street drag racing sounds to me like recklessness. As such, a death caused by such qualifies as classic involuntary manslaughter.

Something like 7-10 years in prison sounds about tight.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Jan '15 11:102 edits
    Originally posted by sh76
    Illegal street drag racing sounds to me like recklessness. As such, a death caused by such qualifies as classic involuntary manslaughter.

Isn't performing a reckless act with the conscious disregard for the safety of others one of the elements of malice aforethought and therefore murder?
  4. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    29 Jan '15 12:41

Right around noon Monday, ...[text shortened]... ng great bodily injury after police say they were traveling more than 70 mph.

...more at link
    same penalty any vehicular manslaughter would get.

why would it be any different?
  5. Germany
    Moves
    29 Jan '15 13:49
    Originally posted by FishHead111
    Isn't performing a reckless act with the conscious disregard for the safety of others one of the elements of malice aforethought and therefore murder?
    No, in that case voting Republican would be murder.
  6. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    29 Jan '15 16:07
    Originally posted by FishHead111
    No; that's recklessness and is an element of manslaughter.

You're thinking of "depraved indifference to human life" which is one of the ways in which "malice aforethought" can be achieved.

Drag racing, while reckless, doesn't rise to the level of depravity, IMO.
  7. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    29 Jan '15 16:49

Yes.

I should have reported that they were "booked on suspicion of vehicular manslaughter with gross negligence and reckless driving causing great bodily injury..." and the police reported they were speeding in excess of 70 mph, which sounds reckless to me.

I suppose the statutes do not separate out "causing death" from "causing great bodily injury." Thus the longer prison term is fitting IMO, but the actual charges are TBD and may be plea bargained.
  8. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    29 Jan '15 17:18
    Yes.

I should have reported that they were "booked on suspicion of vehicular manslaughter with gross negligence and reckless driving causing great bodily injury..." and the police reported they were speeding in excess of 70 mph, which sounds reckless to me.

I suppose the statutes do not separate out "causing death" from "causing great bodily injury." Thu ...[text shortened]... the longer prison term is fitting IMO, but the actual charges are TBD and may be plea bargained.
    The statutes do make a distinction. Recklessness causing injury is only reckless endangerment, while is a low level felony. Recklessness causing death is involuntary manslaughter, which is a mid-level felony.
  9. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    29 Jan '15 17:351 edit
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    same penalty any vehicular manslaughter would get.

why would it be any different?
    The specifics could affect plea bargaining and sentencing, IMO. The victim not being a participating spectator and her situation (as reported) may make the prosecution resistant to plea bargaining very far down, and the same factors could affect the sentence if found guilty.

But this is just my reaction about how a jury might look at it.
  10. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    29 Jan '15 17:371 edit
    The statutes do make a distinction. Recklessness causing injury is only reckless endangerment, while is a low level felony. Recklessness causing death is involuntary manslaughter, which is a mid-level felony.
    Thanks for explaining the distinction.
  11. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    29 Jan '15 21:19
    On a public road? Damn yes it does.
  12. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    29 Jan '15 21:52
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    Not according to any case I've ever seen.

All cases I'm aware of wherein reckless driving (drunk, racing, speeding, etc.) caused death have been prosecuted under, at most, involuntary manslaughter statutes.

Depraved indifference murder is for actions like throwing a Molotov cocktail onto a crowded street (even without specific intent to kill). Reckless driving is recklessness, not malice aforethought.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Jan '15 23:13
    No; that's recklessness and is an element of manslaughter.

You're thinking of "depraved indifference to human life" which is one of the ways in which "malice aforethought" can be achieved.

Point taken but I think drag racing on a public street might be taken as a depraved indifference to human life, if the right DA got hold of it.
    But then that's why we got lawyers.
  14. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    29 Jan '15 23:581 edit
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    quote:

To constitute depraved indifference, the defendant's conduct must be 'so wanton, so deficient in a moral sense of concern, so lacking in regard for the life or lives of others, and so blameworthy as to warrant the same criminal liability as that which the law imposes upon a person who intentionally causes a crime. Depraved indifference focuses on the risk created by the defendant’s conduct, not the injuries actually resulting.

In one case, People v Register, 60 NY2d 273, 469 NYS2d 599 (1983),while exploring the meaning of "depraved indifference recklessness" the Court of Appeals ruled that intoxication is not a defense or excuse to "depraved mind murder," although it may be to intentional murder. Its analysis started with distinguishing reckless manslaughter from the "depraved indifference recklessness" necessary for murder:

"to bring defendant’s conduct within the murder statute, the People were required to establish also that defendant’s act was imminently dangerous and presented a very high risk of death to others and that it was committed under circumstances which evidenced a wanton indifference to human life or a depravity of mind. . . . . The crime differs from intentional murder in that it results not from a specific, conscious intent to cause death, but from an indifference to or disregard of the risks attending defendant’s conduct." 60 NY2d at 274

http://definitions.uslegal.com/d/depraved-indifference/

edit: from another source:

There have been two South Bay cases in recent years where street racers were prosecuted for a death: a San Jose case in 2009 where the two drivers were given maximum prison sentences, and a Santa Clara death in 2011 where the drivers got about a year in county jail. The difference came down to the judges' sense of the defendants' accountability and remorse.

end quote
  15. Cape Town
    Moves
    30 Jan '15 09:10
    Like she had all her life, Kiran Pabla spent her last moments doting on her family.
    If she was a prostitute looking for business should the sentence be any different?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree