1. Standard memberjarrasch
    NeighborhoodChampion
    Moves
    19 Apr '15 10:38
    Hello Chessfriends,

has anyone tried this - e.g. while playing a game on RHP the teacher comments on good/bad moves (not necessarily on every move) of the pupil using the add message function?

Do you think this is a good idea?
    If yes, then I'm looking for a teacher 🙂

best regards,
    jarrasch
  2. Joined
    08 Apr '12
    Moves
    19 Apr '15 17:35
    I will play a discussion game with you, although I'm not sure whether I'm strong enough…
  3. Joined
    30 Sep '11
    Moves
    19 Apr '15 18:24
    Originally posted by jarrasch
    Hello Chessfriends,

has anyone tried this - e.g. while playing a game on RHP the teacher comments on good/bad moves (not necessarily on every move) of the pupil using the add message function?

Do you think this is a good idea?
    If yes, then I'm looking for a teacher 🙂

best regards,
    jarrasch
    I think it's a fantastic idea, I've been trying to get a chess coach for over a year now and I've really tried, really really tried, then tried again. Unfortunately I have been unsuccessful.

So any assistance would be a bonus for me.

Regards,

Willy.....
  4. Standard memberbyedidia
    Mister Why
    San Carlos, CA
    Moves
    20 Apr '15 03:33
    Is there an online platform that is like a real chessboard in that two people in different locations can each add, remove, or move any of the pieces on the board to any square irrespective of the rules? This would be immensely useful for teaching online.
  5. Joined
    08 Apr '09
    Moves
    20 Apr '15 14:18
    Willy,

we can do a discussion game. I'm no chess teacher, and learned (almost) all that I know through playing at RHP and forum discussions, but we can try to see if it works.

Send me a PM if interested.
  6. Joined
    18 Jan '15
    Moves
    22 Apr '15 23:22
    I can do a training game with you if you want.
  7. Standard memberjarrasch
    NeighborhoodChampion
    Moves
    25 Apr '15 10:314 edits
    I would like to thank HikaruShindo, tvochess and Olympian256 for offering a discussion/training game to Sirdubalot and myself.
    I'm sure this will be a great learning opportunity!

I have started so far games with HikaruShindo
    Game 11166143

and Olympian256
    Game 11166141

Please feel free to comment on them here, for the sake of training weaker players like myself (or maybe even joint learning).
    If anyone would like to offer an unrated discussion/training game, please send a message!

thanks so much!
    jarrasch
  8. Joined
    30 Sep '11
    Moves
    25 Apr '15 19:521 edit
    Hi jarrasch,

It's a nice idea for a thread, RHP has greeters so maybe it's a possibility to have a trainers/ coaches section. I understand that it takes time to write but it is appreciated.

I have started a game from your post, so I'm happy to submit it in your thread if that's ok with you, I think it only polite to check with my opponent first.

Thanks to you,

Willy.....
  9. Joined
    08 Apr '09
    Moves
    28 Apr '15 18:10
    I have started discussion games with Sirdubalot (Game 11162676) and jarrasch (Game 11170458). I'm hoping we will all learn from this experience.
  10. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    29 Apr '15 14:59
    Originally posted by Sirdubalot
    Hi jarrasch,

It's a nice idea for a thread, RHP has greeters so maybe it's a possibility to have a trainers/ coaches section. I understand that it takes time to write but it is appreciated.

I have started a game from your post, so I'm happy to submit it in your thread if that's ok with you, I think it only polite to check with my opponent first.

Thanks to you,

Willy.....
    If we can bash out exactly what people want from such a feature, then this can happen. Although I have some other priorities, a new feature like this could be a nice distraction. 🙂
  11. Standard memberjarrasch
    NeighborhoodChampion
    Moves
    29 Apr '15 16:123 edits
    Hi Russ,

As I have started this thread let me present my view:
    1. user may have a "tutor" status meaning he is interested in playing training/discussion games. This means he will comment on critical moves during the game with the aim of educating his less experienced oponent/pupil. Such games by default should be unrated.
    2. possibility to search tutors
    3. it would be good if tutor could suggest move takeback to the user. I think now it is not possible - tutor can just comment on a bad move and takeback is then not possible.
    4. when viewing profile of a tutor, one should be able to filter his training games. When viewing a training game all comments to moves should be visible - as opposed to comments to "regular" games which are private.
    5. to widespread the knowledge there should be a menu item containing all training games. It should be possible to view, sort, filter training (commented) games and vote for them - similarly to rating forum posts (hand up/down). This way best commented games (with best educational value) and best tutors should become known.

I think there are many people looking for chess tutors and RHP could be the pioneer site offering such functionality. I suppose in the future tutoring could become also additional source of revenues - both for tutors and for RHP.

best regards,
    jarrasch
  12. Joined
    08 Apr '09
    Moves
    29 Apr '15 17:12
    Jarrasch's ideas are a good starting point. I would make following remark. Rather than having takebacks, I would call them variations. Takebacks are against the nature of chess playing. However, for learning purposes they may make sense. But I believe it is then important to keep a record of the 'take back' and related comments. Therefore, seeing it as variations may make more sense. They could even branch several plies back.
  13. Joined
    30 Sep '11
    Moves
    09 May '15 13:382 edits
    Good points made by jarrasch and it would be great to get any form of mentoring of the ground on RHP.

I think about playing over the board, Ive never done this and would really like to I often wonder if there are any players on RHP that live close to me I ask most players who converse during games, as it stands I just don't know. Ive tried to find players locally to me to no avail.

Its a big ask but in an ideal world (I know its not one) it would be great to have a list of players on RHP who are willing to meet up in their local area and just play and exchange ideas and maybe pass on some knowledge to less experienced players. Maybe even a list of tutors/ mentors that give lessons for a fee, Im just thinking out loud really and sharing my thoughts, hope the masses and the original poster don't mind.

Best regards,

Willy...........
  14. Standard memberSmiffy
    SPS CLAN
    Wales
    Moves
    10 May '15 20:31
    Where in Wales you live. I'm in swansea
  15. Joined
    30 Sep '11
    Moves
    11 May '15 07:43
    Originally posted by Smiffy
    Where in Wales you live. I'm in swansea
    I live near Chirk, so a bit far unfortunately for me.

Many thanks

Willy............

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree